Wierd food you like...

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
So had some homemade chicken soup tonight...the wierd bit is bread and butter with grinder salt on top, yum.
Also our National dish (Bermuda) is codfish and potatoes...for breakfast...on Sundays

I've always been kind of a picky eater, and don't really stray far from "normal", so I'm having trouble thinking of anything. I guess the closest would be sushi for breakfast. That my favorite part of my monthly trip to wegmans. I carefully plan the time I go to be early enough to miss people, but late enough for sushi to be made.

While most wouldn't consider them weird some of the dishes I have had while traveling have become regulars: gallo pinto from Costa Rica (black beans mixed into rice, with cilantro and cumin (and lluevos revueltos (scrambled eggs) mixed in if eaten for breakfast, and roasted veggies added if lunch or dinner) and Massaman curry from Thailand. Also, mango sticky rice for dessert.

My wife really loves her tomato sandwiches as soon as the tomatoes ripen in the garden until about this time in late Fall when the taste and texture of the late season tomatoes becomes better for cooking than eating outright. She thinks it weird that my tomato sandwiches are made with thick slabs of tomato, mayo, peanut butter, and fresh ground black pepper. I started eating these after having one made for me when I was six years old, by an elderly preschool teacher who worked summers at our family's day camp. She said the combination started in her family during WW II as a way to get protein in their meals during rationing.

Thai, Indian, African, Cuban, Columbian, and the West Wind Dinner down the road aka Worst Wind Dinner. I can't really pin down just one odd dish.

Last edited:
I will eat almost anything providing it isnt bland. I love Thai, Indian food, Caribbean, SriLankan basically I’ll eat most things.

Serve me a plain boiled potatoe and dont be offended if it gets left uneaten. Don’t get me wrong, if I was starving to death of course I would eat potatoe. For me it is a lack of imagination I take most offence to. There are so many ways it could be served... but boiled! What a cop out.

Same as Italian food. I will eat it all apart from bolognase. That is the lazy option IMO. Take basically the same sauce, add a few black olives and bacon, anchovies, chilli etc and you can change it up into a Amotricana or Puttanesca.

I like interesting food. I guess Norway wasn’t a good choice food wise. Boiled potatoes with most National dishes. Usually served with salted meat/fish.

Serve me a plain boiled potatoes and dont be offended if it gets left uneaten.
I love plain boiled potato. Just a bit of salt and black pepper is perfect. It's my favorite preparation that isn't fried. I get a lot of canned potatoes, and I'll just open it up, add some black pepper, and eat them cold out of the can. Love them. Maybe that's my weird food?

Sounds pretty weird to me. ;)

I actually like new potatoes served with a roast dinner etc.

It is just scabby buggers that people just boil up and they go fluffy. Makes me gag even typing about those. Never could eat mashed potatoes as a kid.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DMc
John thinks it is weird that I put mayo on my hot dog bun. I only eat maybe 2 a year but have to have the mayo or no need to have it.

When I was a kid I used to like fixing up my cottage cheese with salt, pepper....and ketchup.

Also....dill pickle slices arranged on a plate....each with one dot of ketchup.

Since I quit tobacco a few years ago, sense of taste and smell has really improved.

I can taste the rice in a rainbow roll now.....and the pasta in Italian food.

Really like those flavors.

Rich, reading those posts and knowing you live in Norway sure made my day.

I do a homemade ferment with a number of veggies, things like asparagus buts, peas, beans, mix with hibiscus flower tea and the mark, moringa leaf powder, hemp protein powder, etc. Throw it in a blender and let it sit on the counter for a week or two.... gets mighty tangy. Do the same thing with banana, orange, green powder smoothies my buddy makes. I also make a pudding from cottage cheese, flaxseed oil, cacao powder, stevia whipped in the mini Cuisinart and add yogurt or keifer to smooth it out. I just picked up a bunch fo mushrooms from my buddy who has an urban mushroom farm in Philly

I like Whale.
You can buy it in the supermarkets here,the Whales are abundant as well as delicious.

I also enjoy Deer liver,if you soak it in salt water for a couple of days ,then bread and try it.

Whale is great. As Mike said they sell it in the supermarkets here. Plus Stines uncles are commercial whalers so we get a bit from them and they serve it when we visit.

When my missus first moved to London, early 90’s. She had a tshirt saying... “Save the Whales... for dinner!”

It didn’t go down too well.

Snacking on some slices of Braunschweiger and Swiss cheese. Growing up, we always called it “ liverwurst “ but I guess that was incorrect, though they’re both pork liver sausage.

Anyone else love this stuff?
I don’t eat it often, but occasionally I’ll get a craving when it’s been a while and I see it at the store.

Kosher Dill pickles for me, any time of day (yes, including breakfast). Favorites are B&G, but have gotten a hankering for Mt. Olive recently (due to the fact I can get them in the gallon jars like this):

MOP_1gal.jpg

That jar will be lucky to last a week. The other is my mother's homemade chicken soup recipe; all the meat is chicken hearts, stomachs (we call them gizzards) and chicken/turkey necks. Just like the pickles, will eat it all day long.

My partner at work brought in some squirrels he did in the instapot (fancy pressure cooker), it was falling off the bone. Best I've ever had by far.

I didn't think tender squirrel was a thing either, it's really good. I love rabbits too.

I’m really really picky when it come to meat. Everything else is on the table (pun intended). Prefer Indian more than anything else. Huge part of my diet. Spiced to level 10 and eaten without utensils. The servers at the Indian restaurants get a kick out of me using my hand to eat. They say “we’ve never seen an American use their hand before! Did you spend time in India?” Never have but would like to visit.

John and I eat at the same Indian restaurants and we both get the insane spice levels. Love the small world feeling and finding commonalities.

Never tried rabbit, squirrel, or any other rodent, I’d like to one day. Maybe a farm raised rabbit.

Local sportsman’s club used to do a game dinner, that was good the two times I went. Bear, elk, moose, venison, quail, pheasant, goose. Probably missing one or two. All done up in a dish, like a casserole or in a sauce, so I’m still not clear what a chunk of roasted bear ass tastes like, but still good chow.

Had goat and camel overseas too. Not bad at all. I wanna try horse, but I don’t think that’ll happen around here.

Snapping turtle casserole wasn’t bad. About all wild game local to me and then some. Haven’t tried coon or opossum but they are kinda nasty creatures that dine on god knows what around here. I might cook a groundhog some day though.
I’ll try almost anything once

I've found I don't care for amphibians or reptiles. They aren't bad, but are usually premium priced, so not that good for what you get imo. Tastes sorta like chicken with a thin fishy overlay.

Back