How to estimate a stump job

My stumper is 65hp so 45” is about twenty minutes to 8” below grade. I prob would have charged 250 plus 250 for clean up. I don’t do dirt as a general rule unless they are paying well.

The last stump we timed was 22 minutes for a solid 30” Norway maple. That’s 22 minutes from the time we arrived and left. No clean up aside from filling the hole back in.

Has anyone's rates gone up since stuff got so expensive over the past couple years?

If I had the need and the resources, I'd like to build my own grinder. I feel like I could make a good one for a lot less than what they cost new. The one I was using wasn't that bad once it went into beast mode, until I disabled beast mode. It gave me an idea of what's possible. Well, not an idea, I already had that, but real world experience.

That's horse power. And the vast difference between a Vermeer 252 and a 652. I can only imagine what it must be like running an even higher HP machine.

My sub has a 60hp Vermeer, last I checked. My little machine will get some rotten stumps done reasonably, which is what I'm up against, next, unless I sub it.

I'm fortunate to have a relatively high hp machine (vermeer 752) and it has pulled a tree job out of the toilet uncountable times for me. :rockhard:

My stumper is 65hp so 45” is about twenty minutes to 8” below grade. I prob would have charged 250 plus 250 for clean up. I don’t do dirt as a general rule unless they are paying well.
I just measured it at around 75" on the widest part (root flare), still around 55" or so going the other way. What think you price wise? I already have an idea what I'd ask. I'll probably end up hauling off the excess grindings too.

At least 4.5' all around? $1000 bare minimum with cleanup. Probably more but hard to tell without looking

I love stumping but not at that price. Obviously would never grind a solo stump for 50 bucks, but as part of a larger job a 50$ stump is probably 5 minutes or less

What HP machine? For me with hauling $600 is a good ballpark.
According to the engine's dyno graph only 22-25hp at the engine's shaft, though they call it a 30hp. The power curve graph says 30hp @3600rpm, but I don't think governors kick in full throttle at very close to the governed rpm. Vermeer set it to 3200rpm, it grinds at 2600-2900 under load. Last time I used it, a stick got caught under the throttle linkage, the funny thing was I had been thinking at the time how it would be nice to have a cable that ran to the governor arm to override it on demand. Anyway, it revved way up and I pulled the throttle down, nothing happened. It would rev up to about 4500 before the ignition would cut it off, so I stuffed it in the stump to keep the rpm down, and it was grinding no problem at 3200-3400rpm. I was able to make deep passes easily

At least 4.5' all around? $1000 bare minimum with cleanup. Probably more but hard to tell without looking
Yes, but at least 6ft in one direction, which is what most stump grinders seem to care about. Flush cut within 3" or less of the ground. You live in a more expensive part of the country, but I was expecting $300-500 before cleanup from my research. Seems to me now that haul off is often the same as the cost to grind.

Last edited:
I would agree clean up is usually = to cost to grind.

And no doubt cost of living etc varies widely, I was just spouting off what it might be here for that stump.

Back