Commercial Food Recommendation Thread

lxskllr

Treehouser
I thought a thread for less common commercially prepared food might be interesting. Maybe even common food; whatever. Stuff you think other people should be aware of.

Here's two submissions...

Pecan Nation pecans. I got some from BigLots, and they're delicious. I'll probably eventually end up buying them from the company. I've had the gingerbread, cinnamon, and maple varieties. Not sure which I like best, but all are great. Would be nice in a bowl around the holidays...

Martins of PA hand twisted pretzels. If you've only had commercial pretzels, you haven't had a proper pretzel. I first got these from the Amish hardware store, and I order a big box from them a couple times a year. You can't go wrong with the classic salt variety, but the wheat with sesame is very good too. Hand twisting gives a variety of texture in the same pretzel, and they don't use fat when baking, so they come out exceptionally crunchy, but not tooth breakingly crunchy. Just a good crunch and snap without the mealiness of commercial pretzels. HIGHLY recommended...

Topical currently... Jenny-O turkey carcasses. They come with they're own gravy that's pretty good. Brine with Kinder's Buttery Poultry Blend kit, you're off to the races. A fine solution for a small family. Our elderly neighbors turned us onto the things a few years ago.

We almost ordered from one of the local markets for Thanksgiving Dinner. Mom did last year. She did not want a mess or cooking to clean up at her house. So place settings only, we gathered and ate. Then washed the place settings. Raleys or Vons I believe. Even can request turkey brand. They did a great job. I cook a lovely dinner when I take on the challenge. But, not that into it anymore. More lets get together if possible. Nothing fancy.

Lady Alice apples. Got a bag from aldi last time I was there, and these things are tits. Has a slight almond note to them, and a fairly complex flavor. If you see them, check 'em out.

I'll keep my eye out. I'm a Macintosh guy myself, but I haven't seen one in maybe five years. I heard rumor there was a blight, but can't find any substance to it. Maybe someone here knows. Might be the topic of a thread, ive got a bit of a thing for apples, even if I can't bite one on account of my teeth, a jackknife solves that pretty effectively.

Empire or Cortland if it is pretty much just off the tree for out of hand. I used to make 100 gallons of cider to sell over a weekend. My aunt and uncle owned a fruit farm. I would pick up 2 20 bushel totes of sort outs-all different kinds, and drop them off at a cider mill on Friday afternoon. When I was done loading up my truck with produce I grew to take to market, usually after dark, I would go load up the cider they had pressed for me and left in the totes under an outside light,

Was a good money maker and the blend of apples gave the cider a flavor that had people coming back looking for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My all time favorite is Stayman, but they're only locally available in season. McIntosh are very good, but have become scarce. Autumn Glory are inconsistent, but when they're good, they're excellent. Cosmic Crisp are fantastic, and Pink Lady is pretty nice. I specifically avoid Honey Crisp cause they're being over planted, and are difficult to grow, but they taste good. Red Delicious can go to hell. Half the name is a lie. They should all be firewood.

Stayman's is Winesap, Yes?
Yes. I usually call them winesaps omitting the "Stayman" part, but I seem to be in the minority, and some people don't know what I'm talking about. I can't remember the last time I saw "winesap" on a sign. They're usually marked Stayman.

How about the cotton candy grapes?!

Several years ago they were available for a very short window and only at Wegmans (grocery). Last summer they were more widely distributed and available for many months. A little pricey but they do indeed taste like cotton candy.

The flavor comes from selective breeding

Attachments

• IMG_8484.png
    IMG_8484.png
    800.4 KB · Views: 0
Yea, those things are good. I don't often get grapes cause I forget about them, and slowly decay in the fridge, but those and the moondrop grapes are the ones that get me to buy them.

Cultivar. They're oblong, almost peanut shaped, and dark purple. They're very sweet and flavorful, but if I'm being honest, I like them largely for the evocative name.

Shakespeare was the king of dirty double entendre. Even some of his most famous quotes have been greatly cleaned up over the years (Juliet's "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" line was a dig at one of Shakespeare's rivals, the smelly Rose Theater).

Would a grape by any other name taste so sweet?!
Do you like olives? If so, I've got something you'll like.

edit:
For everyone else... If you see these, you should pick them up. Very noticeable heat, and good flavor. Last jar I finished, I drank most of the juice that was left. The olives still have pits, so it's a bit of a hassle, but not too bad.

IMG_20240203_145450437.jpg IMG_20240203_145506048.jpg

Last edited:
Back