Which New Saddle

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
Bought most everything I need to start SRT but my old weaver D ring saddle suits a flip line much better than being tied to a line. I'll be sterile before the end of this season if I don't get a new saddle. Looking at the obvious ones... Tee emotion, edge, sequoia. I'm a stout guy, 240lbs with no gear. Played some college ball and stay in the gym. So weight distribution is huge. Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And why did you choose that? I'm just looking for your opinions on the saddle!

I had the sequoia and it was nice and light but would pinch quite often. I got the treemotion one in the winter. My waist size was a good 3 inches above the maximum allowable size with some winter clothes on. It pinches less and seems to offer more security allowing me to move around the tree better and with more confidence. It is however significantly heavier.

Butch, why do you choose a seat? I've looked at them but it seems like it would limit your motion side to side when trying to position yourself between limbs.

Gonfu, what is your normal waist size? If you don't mind. I wear a 34" Jean size and want to make sure I can wear a few extra winter layers if I decide to go with the tree motion

I was looking at leg straps and yes a floating saddle. I can understand why a seat would be more comfortable but it seems as if the straps give you better mobility.

You need to try both. Order one of each, then send back the one you don't like.

Just be sure to keep it in pristine condition.

Me too 34" but like I said I was a good 3 inches over the maximum. Can't quite remember what it is. It may be more comfortable if I was thinner but still much less torturous than the petzl for me.

That's a good idea Butch, has anyone tried SherrillTree's "Edge"? Looks like it should be lighter than the tree motion but not quite as durable.

I've worn an Edge. I liked it. Didn't have a built in boat snap for a saw, which I prefer.

In still flying the Onyx, waiting to pass it on. I like it. I liked my Ergolite.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Tree motion is a great harness,the ergovation is another great one. The tree Austria 3.1 or 3.2 has been getting good reviews.

The Edge is the same as the buck ergolite. I think the new ones come with Paws and a couple saw snaps. Also the hip/bridge attachments look easier to replace on the new version. If you're a big guy, it would probably serve you well.

My next saddle will be an Onyx.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appetite it. I'll most likely be ordering the saddle tomorrow. Does anyone else have any comments on the seats vs leg straps? I'm really looking at the tree motion after seeing a YouTube video, guy was wearing a tree stuff.com shirt? It really showed how customizable the saddle is. He showed some little bungee material, was wondering where I could get some? I bought a microfrog system a week or so ago and would like some for a neck advanced for my unicender.

Leg straps is the only way to go if you're at all inclined to be actively mobile in and around the crown, imo.

Be worth your time to take a look at a New Tribe ProGear. A really fine SRT saddle, works well DRT, too. Only downside is the lack of a sliding bridge...but a lot of good climbers, me included, have made it work just fine. Good price point, too.

I'm mostly in a Sequoia these days, though the NT still sees some time aloft.

Petzl Sequoia Deal

Speaking of Sequoia....a friend that is starting to get into treework gave me a lead on a Petzl Sequoia with a good price....$356:

http://shop.blackjackmountainoutfit...231A6B40EB193D8B906DBAF6CAB958.m1plqscsfapp02

It is at BMORescue. Sz 2 (whatever that is) and looks to be a good price. He says you can use the code BMO to get an even better discount. He can't afford to buy it right now and has been lurking at the House but not signed up yet (Luke!!! time to sign up!!!). He wanted someone here to have the chance to get it.

Be sure to compare this to TreeStuff pricing...don't want to short them at all.

I bought the ergo 2 years ago, and love it. It has great back support for those long days, and can enough gear loops to carry everything you own. It has been a great saddle and I would buy it again. They also make every conceivable variation so you can get exactly what you want.
Jeff

How are New Tribe on a big person? The Onyx is pretty nice, even without the rigging plate bridge installed, yet. Not a fan of the clevises and web bridge. I prefer a rope bridge.

The Onyx Is a rope bridge at least I thoughat it was. Or were you talking about the Sequoia

I went ahead with the tree motion and LOVE IT. I backed up the stretchy cord going to the leg straps with paracord because the leg straps pulled them out while sliding over elm. Other than that I'd like to put some rigging plates on the rope bridge to have more tie in points on he leg straps as well as the rope bridge.

Back