What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 485K
Well the shits going to hit the fan in a few hours and the snow is going to get deep. We are expecting 45-50 mph wind gusts and 14" of powder. Duck and cover! Oh the temp is also going to bottom out at -3 so wind chill is going to be around -60 or so. Good times!

Ice last night but not too much although the big oaks around my house sound like rusty gate hinges .Creak, moan ,groan .

Power was out a couple of hours .Mrs. Smith said the lights flickered three times and went out .Typical of an oil circuit breaker in a sub station .

We got about 20 inches of snow. The snow is about over but the wind is still a big problem. Everything is shut down here and nothing is open including the post office. The snow plows aren't even out. The local radio station is saying they will get out as soon as possible when the wind dies down.

Last night was wild, wind howling, sideways snow falling, drifting into 3 to 4 foot high piles. We even had lightning and thunder to add to the excitement.

After all this fiasco we get sub-freezing temps that will dip the thermometer down to -2 or more . Wind chills down to - 40. But then we start to warm up this weeked to about 25 to 30 degrees . Typical northern Illinois weather.

We only have had one problem so far. It was the furnace of all things. The snow had drifted so high on the south side of the house that it covered the carbon monoxide exhaust system so the furnace was kicking on and off and not heating the house. We were outside last night at 12:30 am wading through drifts and shoveling out the exhaust vent. Thankfully that was the only thing so far to go wrong and my son caught it before we burned up a motor or a relay in the furnace.

I am not looking forward to all this snow that has to be shoveled by hand or moved with the tractor. Getting the tractor out of the shed is a big procedure in itself. The doors are usually froze to the ground so that means getting the heater on them to unfreeze them then heating the tractor up so it will start. The darn thing is always a pain in rear to get started when it gets much below 20 degrees. I am glad we got it though even though it is a pain.

ok, one drive shoveled....time for coffee and breakfast.......oh and of course here comes the county plow......ok, two drives that still need shoveling.......

Our snow changed to rain, hopefully it dosen't change to freezing rain or we'll have some tree issues...

After yesterdays storm I am out of places to put snow. Today I loaded my pickup truck and dumped it at work, I'm going to have to do that for the next few days.

Got so much ice here I can stand on it without breaking through the snow. Went out to bust the drifts on the 700' driveway and the truck didnt go through the ice either. Blowing horizontal snow big time right now and drifting pretty good. Better then heavy wet snow I cant move though.

time to go back to the couch with a nice blanket, stoke the fire and relax with family. :)
Me? No such excuses, 2C and cloudy here today, off to do some work and errands.

There, finished. 2 driveways, 2 mailboxes, and 1 dumpster shoveled clear. Time for a cup of coffee and a nap.

Just a cell phone pic after the 3rd time plowing my drive today. Just happen to think to snap one to give you a idea to the road from the barn. Where the trees are on the right side is after the road.

snowfeb2011.jpg

Dang, that looks like some cold shite right there. I'm gonna stop complaining that we don't have any snow now.

My drive looks about like Kevins except it's 150 feet shorter .Freakin starter went out of the tractor ,lovely .:(

I got busted through to the road but must have got stuck a dozen times with the Ranger .Snow shovel, dig cuss ,phooey .:what:

We got snow Monday afternoon and Tuesday-not much -about 3 inches. The joy is that it was -18F this morning,The radio said it was 5 above this afternoon but my thermometer stopped moving up at 0.

I got busted through to the road but must have got stuck a dozen times with the Ranger .Snow shovel, dig cuss ,phooey .:what:

That crap usually happens to me too. One year the plow motor burned up and dont you know a heavy wet deep snow came in.

Then sometimes when I get the plow truck stuck, I get the 2nd 4x4 stuck trying to get it out and end up with a 3rd 4x4 to save the day. Only problem this year I sold the 3rd 4x4 last year after winter. So I am carrying a hand type winch to hook on the poles in a just in case mode.

Coldest I have seen here since 1994 was -22 on the temp gauge, thats not wind chill. You can have that stuff.
I seen lot colder when I lived in MT in early 80's.

Here are some pics from the aftermath of last nights storm taken from diferent locations from the around the house before we started digging out. Thankfully we have neighbors with bobcats that helped clear the drive. Luckily I dropped them off loads of wood chips so they returned the favor. I offered to pay for fuel but they wouldn't take it.

I hope this works because I got a new camera for Christmas and the new picture programs for downloading are more complicated than the old one I had.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 4
Just a few more. A couple of those pics look like the same thing. I took some pics just as the storm started before dark and again this morning of the same scene. One is out of sequence I had to push my wife's car into the garage and the tracks were filled in within a half an hour.

I got a kick out of the news last night as they were calling this the " Storm of the Century " . this was ranked as the the 3rd. worst for Illinois . I was a kid but I remember the big grand daddy storm of 1967.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 2
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 2
I like those lanterns you have there, Larry.

They say it's going to be March weather here today. Looking up at the mountains and seeing snow is close enough for me. It's been light in my area, but other places have been blasted. Many more than usual deaths from people falling off roofs this year.

glad it just skirted by us with about 4" 2 below this morn, I now know why old farts up here go to Arizona for the winter

Back