What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 482K
Yup. It's heading our way. Not supposed to be enough to cause any problems. Had a couple nice drippy cold dreary days. Some sun today. A real up and down fall. Nice it's not all down. We did have nice fall color this year. Wind and rain put an end to that.

A big storm was forecasted. It turned out to be only strong winds around me, with just a few trees down here and there. I am located on the margin of the phenomenon, from the warning map published. The coast took the brunt of it and some serious damages occurred.
Though, blocking down the trunk of a cedrus with negative rigging wasn't exactly comfortable with the gusts of wind. But all went well. I'm glad that we managed to take down all the crown tuesday. All the limbs and 2 of 3 codominant trunks rigged over two tiled roofs and a paved terrace surrounding closely the tree (say a 4' patch of dirt for a 32" trunk). The customer was amazed and cheerful. LOL8)

Ise Ina mountains guys. Them photos of my road are at 6,206ft. We don't get as much snow as we used too, but we still get one or two storms a year that drop a foot or two. Mostly it's a few inches, gone the next day or two. Last year was continously muddy on my ridge from October to March. I think we had a week all winter where I wasn't living in muck boots. Gets cold too, 27° (freedom units) at 0400 local this morning.

We've got rain, rain and rain here.
My forwarder guy has 12 machines on hold, that hurts him big time.
We can plant, but are catching up on the trencher, which got stuck this week
They hithed another Ponsse Buffallo to him, which got stuck, too.
3rd one managed to get them unstuck, barely.
So all machines are out of the woods.
I just cancelled a small falling job.
Told the guy there was no use in us putting the trees on the ground, if they can't get the logs out.

That sucks Stig. Our clearing crew is still working but if we get much more rain they will be on hold till the ground stiffens back up.

Winters are gone here.
When I started in the woods, late 70es, we had hard frost and logging was easy.
One of my favourite memories is of a clearcut in spruce.
No wind, minus 20 degrees.
I could work in a heavy shirt, than put a jacket on for gassing up or filing.
Kinglets chirping away, ( Been a long time since I could hear them) blue sky.

Now we work in mud.

And to top it off, ther are still nuts who don't believe the climate is changing!

So, truth be told, did it impress you just a little bit, that a guy halfway across the World from you, could almost identify that tree, from a lousy photo, and in latin, even.
Pisses me off no end that I didn't hit it quite right.

Impressed a bit, yeah sure, but, disregarding the "Shagbark Cedar" as all five related species are called here, there's only a few tree species in my area, Ponderosa and Pinion pine, Douglas Fir, Blue Spruce, Gamble Oak, and Cottonwood. Oh I also forgot to mention that we do have Juniperus deppeana
also called Alligator Juniper.

You are also an expert tree guy who has traveled the US and is supposed to know trees. Unlike myself, who is confused by trees that lose those "leaf" things...

Also, don't feel bad, I live with them and still have to have a reference guide and the tree in front of me, the difference between species are minute in all reality.

A lot of rain here too, almost every days. The river is very high, but not overflowing the banks yet. The temps are still moderate and I could keep my house decently warm (no, more not too coldish) with just my little 3kW electric heater.
Yesterday, when the night came, the sky cleared suddenly and a bright moon appeared. The temp dropped in maybe 1/4 hour. This morning it was frost. Light and late in the season but it's surprising, even if we wondered when we'll see it.
I guess that I have to hurry to put my boiler back in service .LOL

20231201_072307.jpg 20231201_072316.jpg
Same spot, different snow. Got about an inch and a half overnight. Just enough to make some real mud. Pretty while it lasts though, and we may get a little more today. 20231201_072437.jpg

I love it when the sky's are steely grey, horizon to horizon, snow on the ground, washing the colors to near monochrome.

We moved from cold, dry November days to drizzly December.

Thighs got cold yesterday from chipping wet brush workout rain pants.
Rain today, mostly a shop day and a bid.

Back