What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 482K
90s tv series. Never saw it before, so I thought I'd check it out. I'm really enjoying it. I also started watch Stargate SG1. That one isn't so good, and I might bail on it. Every episode is about the same with that one. Go some place that's kind of earth-like, shit happens, shit gets fixed, episode ends. Characters are fairly one dimensional.
The older I get, the more I appreciate the things of old. I already used to watch movies like the Good, the Bad and the Ugly as a teenager and I remember establishing that my first favorite radio station ever was a local oldies station in Boston. I love new things just as much as anyone else, but I have nostalgia for older things even without having any childhood memories of those older things. I'm not sure what to call that, but I should have been born in the 50-60's...that was my era. But I'm glad I didn't have to get drafted into Vietnam. Dodged a literal bullet on that one. Thank goodness we are in a day and age where popularity for the military and pointless wars don't require drafts of such magnitude. Grateful to have the choice to decide. I probably would have been rejected anyways...too many health issues. Although, over half of my conditions didn't exist back then, sooooo....

Anyways, I digress. Wtf am I talking about again? Short term memory loss. The struggle is real.

I really dodged a bullet getting out of high school. I had intended to join the army, and try to get in the Special Forces, and do career military. Regardless of how that went, I'd have been right on schedule for the gulf war. Luckily, I had changed my mind, and pissed of a recruiter while I was at it. I don't work well in bureaucracies, and I'd have probably been miserable in the army. I'm fine with discipline, but have little patience for bullshit. Everything worked out pretty well :^)

Same thing here two days ago on Mt. Hood. Rest of the upcoming week will bring more of the same.

We've had sub 40* F. temps (barely) here first thing in the morning a couple of times this last week. First woodstove fires of the season, just little morning fires, as it's still hitting mid 60's daytimes.

John @lxskllr would have opened all his windows and doors those mornings if he was here, as it was low 60's indoors at 6:00 am :D.

Fall arrived this week.
Rain and low temps.
I pulled 1/3 of the tomato plants out today, they are no longer producing.
Commie rules: produce or die!!!
It's below 100 degrees most of the last week, so I think fall is here haha My complex is already talking about turning the A/C off and I'm like, "are you f*cking people smoking our rent?"

There might be a girl that brings you here though. If you didn't already have one already haha I fell in love and moved here for a beautiful, intelligent female. I used to live in Massachusetts where the climate was far more temperate, but also far more tempestuous. I miss all of the real trees in Massachusetts. But I'd miss her if I moved back.

tempestuous:
adjective
  1. characterized by strong and turbulent or conflicting emotion.
    "he had a reckless and tempestuous streak"

very stormy.
    "a tempestuous wind"

Never experienced "dry heat". I suspect it's to moist heat, as dry heaves are to puking; eg, the consolation prize that isn't much better than losing. Assuming I *had* to stay there, and opted not to just kill myself, I'd have to do everything at night. Reverse the schedule, and live in the dark.

@Burnham See, that's the thing, I don't have a truck. I've told my girlfriend multiple times that I'm going to kidnap her. See always seems suspiciously, but acceptably, aroused by that. :D

Wonderful suggestion, however, Knotorious is just getting by. My kidnapping will have to wait for miracle. I'll pray for an opportunity to "felony" kidnap a willing participant and smuggle her into a more favorable state. For now, I'm a slave to the Saguaro and my opportunities appear as dry as the desert landscape which I inhabit.

Whoah, getting a little deep here. Speaking in the third person again, too. At least I don't pretend to be someone I'm not.

Same here. Our little creek is making gurgles, which swells my heart.

For the first time ever in the +45 years we have lived on this property, I think we might have some patches of lawn that actually have died from the heat and multi-year drought, over this summer. Like most western Oregonians of a certain generation, the idea of watering a lawn is alien to us. We always have let them dry out and turn tan as our usual dry season progresses, but the fall weather has always delivered rain and turned the grasses green in short order, this time of year.

This is just the latest example of how our vegetation is suffering. Many of the native plants that have thrived for the 4+ decades we've lived on our acreage, and long before that, have died in the last few years. More have suffered dieback, top-kill, and early leaf drop.

I believe that human activity is to blame. The changes in weather patterns are too extreme over too short a time span, to be explained by "normal" fluctuations, in my mind.

Is it weird that this 100 degree day feels like a cool spring evening compared to how hot it has been over the past three months? I took a walk to the store and this was the first time I didn't come home saturated in my own sweat. I think the heat wave is finally over! Huzzah!

Back