What Do You Carry While Climbing - Basic Gear?

Anders was a Nerd.
When Jerry explained that trick to him, he spent all his free time practicing it. He did that with everything that caught his fancy.

Managed to totally piss of a teacher at the forestry school with it.

Anders was explaining how to do it and how he learned it from Jerry, when he was over climbing the big trees.
The whole class is watching.
So the teacher basically calls bullshit on the whole thing.
Then Anders said watch this and did a 30 foot return shot in one try.

Most of the teachers hated him, because he'd always show them up.

One of them totally adored him, because he was so much into learning the trade.

That guy didn't have much of an ego or much of a chip on his shoulder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, the little Yella Grapnel:

Yella Grapnel
Was rereading the thread, and picking up some stuff I missed. How do you like that Grapnel? I like the price better than something like the DMM captains hook, especially factoring in my potential(or not) use. Could that be fitted with a heavier line(maybe 8mm?), and be used to haul full human weight laterally? Not for suspension, but traversing, where it would have somewhat significant force on it. I think the larger line would be better so a prusik could be fitted, and three arms wouldn't be needed to move sideways.

FHW (full human weight) would deform it.
It's pretty tiny and thin wire.

Was rereading the thread, and picking up some stuff I missed. How do you like that Grapnel? I like the price better than something like the DMM captains hook, especially factoring in my potential(or not) use. Could that be fitted with a heavier line(maybe 8mm?), and be used to haul full human weight laterally? Not for suspension, but traversing, where it would have somewhat significant force on it. I think the larger line would be better so a prusik could be fitted, and three arms wouldn't be needed to move sideways.

It looks like this.
I just got mine out of storage so I'll remember to send it off tomorrow.
P1070478.JPG

Last edited:
That's a little guy(or stig's a giant!). I like that. Looks nice and compact.

Fits with a good length of line in a small bag on your saddle. Don't keep it hanging loose on the saddle or you'll be buying a whole lot of brush as you move about.
I keep it in my small bag without throwline on it, and girth hitch it to my fly reel line.
Came in handy when I was working alone and bobbled my handsaw (hint: small loop of line on the handsaw handle helps!)

Say... Ixskllr: Would you also like to give a rope wrench a run? Sean Ruel was adamant that I send his zk1 (which I have) to you, and I would be all too happy to do it. The tether is looking pretty hashed, but she still holds. Mind you: neither the tether nor the wrench itself are supposed to have anything to do with safety. When using that device, ALL is (supposed to be) dependent on the concomitant prussic situation. I loved it. Just don't use it anymore cause I have the Runner. Just PM me your address, and I'll ship her out to ya.

Hey Jed, I don't know. Jonny previously offered me a wrench and I declined. Seems to me it should go to a young guy short on money, and long on ambition. I'm just an old guy out playing games. It would be a waste of potential. I accepted stig's offer of a Grapnel since that's kind of "extra" stuff, and not a primary tool. Not sure...

Sir: First of all, you underrate yourself horribly with such self-deprecatory nonsense as, "old guy out playing games," and secondly, you either know nothing of the power of culture, or else know nothing about today's, "young guys short on money and long on ambition," for, unfortunately and contemptibly, today's young treemen would have absolutey NOTHING to do with a zk1, since it is hopelessly, old-hat. They (though they perpetually complain about money problems) are nonetheless quite content to spend $350.00 on nearly any friction device so long as they are promised that it's all the rage with the cool kids.

Sean Ruel came out to Davey in Bellevue, WA (from the East Coast, and, somewhat weirdly, I cannot for the life of me recall around what year that was--it's not like it was that long ago.) and promptly bought a used zk1 wrench and tether (or did he buy the tether new??) from some online source or other, but I wanna say it was Ebay. Anyways... one day in Medina, he let me run that pig, and mind you, none of us in the PNW had really even SEEN such a nuanced and rare subtlety of friction-handling magic. I was instantly over the moon. Sean must have noticed this, for, kindly lad that he was, he up and GAVE me the wrench and tether as a bit of a parting gift upon his announcement (and this struck me to the quick, I can well assure you) that he had decided to move back to Maine. He gave it to me hook, line and sinker with the proviso that, should I get a newer device and quit using it, I should then send it back to him (I understand he's got a bit of a collection of climb-stuff going) so that it might be preserved for posterity; and I MUST ADD, that it is by Sean's direct behest that I now offer to send it to you.

I used that wrench and tether with a Beeline and modified Valdotain Tress prussic SOLID for about two and a half years. (You should see the tether, it's freakin HASHED.) I love it. You can use it super easy dDrt... I'm dating myself... What do they call it now?... Oh well no matter... and then, when you get into a spot where you want single line... ya just pull yer line out, and re-tie into the tree SRT... she still holds like a charm even though the contraption is now taking twice the weight (in SRT). Incredible little device. Hilarious to think that Kevin had already been running his Rope Runner (albeit in R and D form) for the better part of three years before I had even thought about running the runner. The wrench is good, the runner is better, and now I am even told that treestuff is about to start carrying the Rope Runner 2 or whatever it's called. I guarantee you that it will be a noticeable improvement since Mr. Bingham is a genius, HOWEVER!!... The virtues of the zk1 must not be dispensed with!! I say ya give er a go, and see how she goes... I guarantee you, no millenial whould ever dare be seen with something so reprehensibly "old school."

But it's an awsome tool to this day. I love that the whole contraption can completely fail (not that it would) and there you'd be... just drifting rather softly down on your prussic. A wonderful device.

The ZK1 is a much more refined and probably better performing device than the homemade do-dad I offered up, and like they say, pass it along to another SRT newbie if it’s not for you or if you move on to a different device.
RopeWrench is a great one to start SRT on, and if you’re even a little bit handy with needle and thread, it’s easy to make a stiff tether for it, though I still prefer the AtHeight double eye shorty tethers to anything I’ve made. Sew a length of webbing on it and put some decent marine grade shrink tubing on it without melting the webbing. Or tie a piece of hitch cord or accessory cord to it.

(Caution: More detailed response than necessary, in light of you asking the question John, and the hope that we'll still be able to get together soon and do a rec climb or two and/or a couple small work climbs, since we are not far from one another. I like your interest in climbing and would enjoy sharing the knowledge and skills I have developed to help you along your way).
Meant to reply to this, and it slipped my mind. I'm definitely still interested. It's kinda hot for climbing just to do it, but if you have a weekend when you want some help, give me a yell. I can drag brush, or whatever. Take some of the load off you. I /may/ be able to handle an "emergency" during a weekday. Work's gotten slow, so I have some flexibility, but it's hard to say. Sometimes I just have to be there at that time.

Yep, hot and miserable... no rush, once it gets cooler toward the fall we can schedule a few rec climbs. Either here, or if you have access to some large, broad trees out your way I could head out there, too.
I really don't work too much any longer - I think I have five jobs lined up for friends all in the "when you get to it" category.

A day of just climbing on ten different systems, playing around with entry methods, rigging options, traverses, and other neat stuff would be cool.

Lanyard, figure-8/carabiner, handline (what we called it 35 years ago at Asplundh...75’ 3/8” cord with dog snap on end), one loop runner, extra micro pulley on a carabiner, handsaw and SAW WRENCH.... 96AEB497-341A-42E1-9A45-4D8DC2D4DE54.jpeg

Last edited:
Ya, so I felt dumb yesterday for being well up a tree, working solo, and tried to cut a stub, drop the saw below the stub as it fell, and back-chain flick the stub out of the landing zone.
And then I derailed the chain.
Not one bit smooth.

Nothing could endanger the homeowner, so I asked him to grab one from my truck and clip it on my rope, do at least I didn't have to come down from my last bit of shade.

Normally I don't carry one, but will more often, maybe.

I always tried to eliminate anything I could to minimize the amount of weight I was toting around in a tree. I know many climbers who would carry their wallet and truck keys in the tree. Why? All they do is bind under your saddle. You don't need cash or ID in a tree and you certainly can't drive your truck up there. And if you cannot leave your keys in the truck while you are in a tree then you are working with the wrong people and/or in the wrong neighborhood.

To me, a true sign of a rookie climber is they carry everything but the kitchen sink in that tree.
Check my pictures in the "working pictures" thread and you'll see the same is true of the rookie faller :lol:
I wasn't even bringing wedges with me on that job.
A forwarder with a friendly operator works great for pushing over back leaners.

Quite out of the blue, my youngest nephew (24) decided he wanted to jack in sedentary work and be a tree man and move to France.

He is at college for the rest of the month, then he’ll be coming out here.
Today he used up the proceeds from the sale of his old car and got kitted out at Honey Bros.

He plays rugby so I’ll get him training with a local side so he will get some friends his own age, hopefully meet a bird, that’ll help him with the language as well.

From a personal point of view we didn’t really get on for a few years, which is better I think, the kids got some fire in his belly.
4FC36D47-9928-4691-B8AD-496C06B88C15.png s

I cannot fathom climbing without a chain saw! And carrying a wrench aloft stems from my solo days. Only had to climb down ONCE to learn that lesson.

Back