What Are You Drinking Tonight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, it's really good. I first got it from the German restaurant. While Christmas shopping I saw some at the liquor store, so I picked up a couple bottles. I have one left. I've been digging the German beers lately. After years of ales and stouts(aside from the commodity beer I sometimes get in the summer), it's nice to get back to German beercraft.

Best beer I ever had was German.
After I ran afoul of the powers in charge of certifying arborists in Denmark, Richard and I went to Germany to test.
( And after flunking twice in Denmark, passed with flying colors . One censor said: flunking you clearly showed, they aren't worthy of the job)
Anyway, we drove down in the morning to the Harz gebiet in a heat wave. 30-35 degrees.
Lots and lots of accidents on the Autobahn, so we didn't get to our little family owned hotel till 10 PM.

Everything was closed by then, but I told the owner that for the last 6 hours of driving, I'd had a picture of a cold Weissbier in my mind.
Kein problem, he said. Go in the bier garden and I'll bring it.
Two tall glasses of weissbier arrived and went right down.
I've had a thing for German Weiss bier ever since.

…and tonight I’m drinking a red beer made with ‘Pub Beer’ from 10Barrels Brewing out of Bend. 1 part Clamato, 4 parts lager. Tastes good.

I've heard of that, but never tried it. Seems like it would be a good summer drink.

Pub Beer or a red beer? Red beer is great for a hangover. I prefer it to a Bloody Mary to be honest. Splash of Worcestershire don’t hurt, pickles and olives aren’t bad either. As for Pub Beer it’s about like a Coors without the bubblegum taste.

The red beer I guess. I've heard of the Clamato part, but didn't remember it being called red beer, or anything really. I couldn't have ordered it in a bar without describing it.

John, good brewery as I described here:

I have the Doppelbock that I'll be sharing w/my adventurous beer drinking buddy this coming weekend.

Jonny, the firefighters in my house drink that shit (Fireball) like it's going out of style. I get it's appeal, just not for me.

Good article on wine, Andrey!

Translation here:

What was the strength of ancient Roman wine?9 January51k full reads“Wine aged with pine resin acquires new properties - it warms, helps digestion and cleanses the body. Good for chest, stomach and uterine pains, improves mood, helps with ulcers, fractures and sprains, coughs and asthma by applying wool soaked in wine. Picchiato wine from the Elvia region is best, but everyone agrees that if you drink a lot of it, then it hits your head. (c) Pliny the Elder, Natural History. The process of making wine on the mosaic of the Basilica of St. Procopius in Jordan, 6th c. AD Another Roman author, Cato the Elder (the same one who constantly insisted in the Senate that Carthage should be destroyed), described in detail the technology for making wine from grapes. And he also mentions pitched jugs for storing wine. Why did the ancient Romans, famous gourmets who knew a lot about wines, spoil the natural taste of wine with resin? And why did the ancient Greeks, who valued wine no less, dilute it with sea water? Antique grape press, modern reconstruction In antiquity, no one diluted young wine, there was no need for it. Cheap wine made from grape pomace was not diluted either. Decent people didn’t drink it at all, it was considered swill for slaves. The same Cato the Elder wrote: “Total wine for each person in a year is 7 quadrantals. Add to the kolodniks in accordance with the work that they do; if each of them drinks 10 quadrantals a year, it is not too much.” A quadrantal is more than 26 liters, so from 184 to 263 liters of wine per year (0.5 - 0.7 liters per day) came out per slave. Roman legionnaire in the TV series Britannia The Romans themselves drank wine in much larger quantities. Each Roman legionnaire in cold Britain was entitled to 1.27 liters per day. Wine was also added to local water to reduce the risk of stomach problems. And just such wines, which were delivered to remote garrisons or stored in villas for a long time, were aged in vessels with resin. By the way, it was the Romans who came up with the idea of transporting wine not in amphoras, like the Greeks, but in barrels. Amphorae in the hold of an ancient ship, modern illustration Strong and thick wines were best suited for long-term storage. The Romans knew very well how to get them - the grapes were dried in the sun before squeezing the juice. The result was a drink with the consistency of syrup. And to get the maximum possible degree, it was fermented to the stop. Pliny the Elder wrote that if you bring fire to a bowl of Falerno, it will flare up. Perhaps this was a poetic exaggeration. Modern scientists believe that, taking into account all the tricks, the fortress of Roman wine could reach 18 degrees. A bottle and a wine goblet, a mosaic of the 2nd century BC. AD Without the use of resin, wine could turn into vinegar during prolonged fermentation. But in ancient Rome, aged wines were valued. The aging period could reach 25 years or more. Petronius in the Satyricon describes a feast in the house of a wealthy freedman: “They brought amphoras of wine, neatly corked. There were labels on the necks - Falerno Opimiano, a hundred years. While all the guests were reading, Trimalchok clapped his hands and shouted - Oh, gods ... Wine lives longer than a man. Let's drink it faster.” Antique gatherings with wine and music in a painting by Angelo Zoffoli, 19th century. Of course, an ordinary Roman did not drink such expensive and rare wines every day. Medium-aged wine had a strength of no more than 12 degrees, and the Romans borrowed from the Greeks the custom of drinking it diluted. Thick strong wine, suitable for long-term storage and transportation over long distances, was generally difficult to drink undiluted, and the Romans prepared drinks from ordinary wines like modern mulled wine, with honey and herbs. Expensive wines were transported in sealed amphorae in order to avoid fakes. In the photo - vessels of the II century. AD There were a great variety of different wines in Ancient Rome, they differed in the technology of preparation, aging, grape variety and place of its growth. The most expensive were imported, especially Egyptian wines. Grapes grown in a dry hot area on the border with the desert initially contained a lot of sugar. The Romans even had an analogue of champagne - sparkling wine aigleucos. But sparkling wines were considered an amateur drink, gourmets preferred noble antiquity and tart thick wine, which had to be diluted with water.

We will also be happy if you subscribe to our YouTube channel. Also, if you like our articles, you can support us by becoming our patron on Patreon.

s14259.jpg

Got a little carried away pouring it. Oh well, they'll make more :^D

I just can’t do scotch, I’ll never understand the appeal. A couple years ago my brothers were all in town and we usually get together for drinks at some point, two of them were super excited about this blue label Johnny Walker stuff, and I’m glad I tasted Andy’s before I let him pour me a glass. It would’ve been wasted on me, not enjoyable, I almost spit it out.

Scotch was the first spirit I really enjoyed. It was the gateway to all the other spirits. Some of that was a price thing though. Buy cheap, get cheap. For years I thought I didn't like tequila. Turns out, Cuervo just sucks :^D

Scotch is an acquired taste, no doubt. One thing to remember, Johnnie Walker and lots of those others are blended whiskeys, only the true single malts from Scotland are allowed to be called scotch (got that from a tasting class, no less). I've had one or 2 scotch's that I could care less for, but have the same opinion of many blends (that JW blue was one I could never wrap my taste buds around, even iced or watered down). For a nice, smooth and pleasant intro to true scotch, try a Dalwhinnie, preferably neat. And also try to have an open mind and no pre-conceptions that it will be horrible. :)

t3325776uq.jpg

I'm warming up to this. I was a little ambivalent at first, but I've been enjoying it. I still prefer Asbach, but this is good.

It's a new brand. If you look them up, you'll see all the BSspeak for why they exist, instead of just saying "We want to produce brandy too", but it's decent, and the label's appealing.

Back