What Are You Drinking Tonight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is it? It looks good, but that's the kind of thing I'd prefer sans alcohol.

Hot buttered rum. It's a mix I got from aldi last year, Irish butter, and Diplomático rum. I don't care for that rum neat cause it's too sweet, but this is a good use for it. Pretty tasty.

It sure is when the calf is a day or two old.

This calf is a month old or so. They can go like hell!

I asked Lynley to bring her pair in so they coyotes don't eat the calf.

A coyote wouldn't normally get a calf...but a single pair out in the open is easy prey. Normally a bunch of momma cows will work together to chase the coyotes off protect the calves.

Let's see some pics etc de la Costa Rica!!!!

Got home and had a glass of Basil Hayden. Drinking Ardbeg now.

When I get a new whisk(e)y, I read reviews to see what other people are saying about it. Basil Hayden gets mediocre reviews, and a lot of the complaints are regarding the 80 proof bottling. They say it's too weak. On what planet is 80 proof weak?! Bunch of chest beating wankers trying to look cool by "enjoying" overproof spirits. 80 is pretty much the standard proof worldwide. Scotch doesn't get points deleted by being 80 proof. I'm good with 80-100, with the upper range being for bold spirits like Ardbeg(94 92 proof). Anything over that, I'm gonna add a bit of water. One might argue Basil Hayden isn't a good value based on cost, related to the competition, but it's a solid whiskey that's very enjoyable, with the higher rye content making it more interesting than other overly sweet corn heavy whiskies.

Can't comment on the cost, as it was a gift, but it's one of the better bourbons I've had. Old Grandad is supposed to have the same mash bill at a lower cost. I'll certainly get a bottle next time I'm at the liquor store.

tl;dr
Nobody thinks you're cool by drinking 120° whiskey. Judge based on flavor.

Last edited:
4b-label-weihenstephaner-original-premium-german-helles-lager-craft-beers-summer.jpg

Getting ready for my fish and chips. People online say the Scottish style made with haddock tastes weird. Guess I'll find out. The cod was fantastic, and I'll get some more this weekend if they still have it.

$5 for that whole packet? Good price.
One battered flake piece here is $9 (flake is another name for shark) small serving of chips $4 so $13 all up at the Takeaway.
(I've had to switch fries to chips and takeout to takeaway)

The fish monger up the street from me sells fish & chips for $11 if I remember right. The fish is either cod or haddock(I've seen both), and made from scratch in the shop. 2-3 big pieces of fish, and a bunch of chips. Well worth the price, but it's still twice as much as aldi, and I have to leave the house. Biggest downside is malt vinegar is somewhat rare here, so if you don't take your own, you're SOL. I keep both malt vinegar and Tabasco in the truck for eating out.

Opened my last jul gift to me tonight...

s12883.jpg

edit:
I DO NOT recommend this whiskey. Maybe some of the other expressions are better, but you could do much better for less money. Thin body, light flavor, and a distinct flavor of grain alcohol. Powers was never a tier 1 imo, but decent enough. I got this cause I liked the way the bottle looked, and the older version was good enough to get the bottle. Tullamore Dew is better at a lower cost, and if you don't have a problem with loyalist whiskey, Black Bush absolutely trounces this at about the same price.

edit2:
I lied. I have one more jul gift to open. Taylor Fladgate 10yr porto. I've had the 20yr before, and it was great, but they didn't have it when I stopped in the shop. Maybe later this weekend. Maybe tonight for dessert after my shepherds pie.

Last edited:
Back