What Are You Drinking Tonight?

Pretty good. Interesting nose, very robust start but a bit of a let down to finnish.

But there are better Japanese Whiskies out there. Nikka " from the barrel" is my favourite Japanese Whisky but its hard to find.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've yet to try a Japanese malt. I'll try to pick a bottle up this season.

I had one with a Swedish friend of mine a few years ago. Was good, but all my single malts were same level (just 1), or better (all the rest). I wouldn't turn one down if the opportunity arose.

I have tasted three different Malts,all from Nikka distillery.

Just don't buy the Coffee Grain Malt,its hideous .Sadly I have been given two bottles of it,from people who I thought liked me!

Spruce. It's from the yard spruces I've removed. I figure it's marginal as real firewood, so Swedish candles are good for ambiance. I put a small pile of white pine needles on top, add a few twigs, light it, and it usually takes off pretty good.

edit:
This is ≈30 minutes in...

IMG_20211120_164233.jpg

Last edited:
I need to start cutting several when I take down a pine and go ahead and make the slices and stack them in the barn to dry. Any idea as to whether candles cut from a dead pine would be better than candles cut from a live one?

I'd say dead would be better since they're pre seasoned. Normal firewood rules apply. Dry is better than wet. FWIW, I just came in for dinner, and the log is getting down to embers, so it was ~1.5hr active burn time.

My experience is that those cut from fresh wood works better.

As for lighting them up, redneck way is best.
large dash of diesel, small dash of gas, toss a match.......burn, motherfucker, burn!

I've had the Narwhal. I'm not a stout guy, but that was actually better than expected. For real road tar, I need to get back up to Vermont to get this:

OEO-bottle-picture-2.png

I'm drinking CelestialSeasonings Pumpkin Harvest tea :^D

Earlier I was drinking E&J VSOP brandy. That stuff's not very good. Tastes cheap. Before you say "duh!", it's a different kind of cheap than some other bottom shelf brands I've had. Where other cheapies taste a little firey and unrefined, the E&J is smooth, artificial tasting, and too sweet. It's got the correct flavors of a better aged brandy, but they taste like they were added, and didn't come from the wood. They taste vaguely synthetic. I've looked a few times and haven't been able to verify that anywhere, but I'd bet $100 it isn't just brandy from a barrel.

Huh... Haven't had Bunnahabhain in a long time(the regular expression), and it was kinda the anti-Islay Islay whisky. The least peaty of the Islays I had. I wonder if that's still true, or they upped the peat in all their whisky?

Back