What Are You Drinking Tonight?

I have my margarita ratio figured out.

The bottle of mix calls for 1.5 oz of clear tequila. and 4.5 oz of the mix.

The thing is......the drink turns out much better if you flip it.

4.5 ozs of clear tequila and 1.5 ozs of the mix is just right. Well....a couple of ice cubes is okay.

You are welcome.

Something very special tonight.
1975 Chateau Lafitte.

When my parents got married, they got a case of this and opened a bottle every 5th anniversary. Back in late October would’ve been their 40th anniversary, but cancer took Mom in 04, so my dad opens it and drinks it with his sons. My bro from Maine couldn’t make it, but Andy from Florida came, and two of my other brothers are still locals.

The winery has a hell of a history. Thomas Jefferson’s favorite, and the place got looted by the Nazis when France was invaded. Also probably the most counterfeited wine around, but this is the real deal.
3FF76D88-222E-4FCB-BAA4-8F35121BB676.jpeg

Man, I would have loved to taste that.
How did it hold up to age?

shit that wine is my age, Jonny that if as been well kept should have tasted like from Bachus himself.
FireFighter you are right, on the 11th november around here we eat chestnuts and drink new wine, no preservatives no sulphites and as to be finished in 3 or 4 weeks max.
Making wine to age is very tricky if you do it right, a good old wine is divinal

Thats not terribly old is it Stig?

Although I guess some wines age better than others.

Maybe some wines shouldn't be aged?

Like two buck Chuck?

No age at all for a Lafite.
I remember -75 as sort of a tricky vintage, though.

The way I remember it, when it first came out, it was touted as a great vintage, causing me to buy quite a few bottles for my newly started collectin.
Later it seemed that it didn't quite live up to that.
Been a long time, but that is how I remember it.
My bottlers are long gone, the last of tyhem got killed on the way home from California in -89.
All the 300+ bottles of my cellar were stored WAY too hot on the ship, I'm thinking near the engine room.
Wiped them all out.
Oldest wine I have ever had was 101 year old and still quite lively.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same. I mostly don't dislike it, but I also don't see a need to take on the daunting task of really learning about it. Too much to figure out when I'd rather have whisky anyway.

It was amazing. The aroma and the tannin finish keep going. Lots of darker berry and spice flavor or at least in my interpretation. Set the glass down after the first taste and try it again after 30 minutes and it seemed to change. Decanted an hour or so before drinking but it still changes in the glass.

Most wines should probably be drank within a few years, but not Lafitte. The cork broke into a few pieces and some crumbled after extraction. So far as I can tell, places are still using natural cork because tradition and maybe a sense of elegance. Think synthetic cork is pretty much immune to problems.

We actually gotta press some stuff tomorrow at my dads, I’ll take some pics. It’s a fun activity for later autumn, and immensely easier since he bought this crusher and de-stemming gadget a while back. There’s some excellent whites that come from Western NY and Southern Ontario.

Jim, there’s probably thousands of goor wines that are under 20$ a bottle. I love Reisling and Cayuga. I really enjoy a glass or two of Pinot Noir, but any more than that really makes my head hurt. PN is pretty easy to down.

I have a bottle of PN....but the cork screw was missing.

Mostly just drink a cabernet savingnon.

Mainly drank that because it is usually such a pronounced flavor.

Now that my taste has improved....I like new things.

Glad your Lafitte is so good!

Something very special tonight.
1975 Chateau Lafitte.

When my parents got married, they got a case of this and opened a bottle every 5th anniversary. Back in late October would’ve been their 40th anniversary, but cancer took Mom in 04, so my dad opens it and drinks it with his sons. My bro from Maine couldn’t make it, but Andy from Florida came, and two of my other brothers are still locals.

The winery has a hell of a history. Thomas Jefferson’s favorite, and the place got looted by the Nazis when France was invaded. Also probably the most counterfeited wine around, but this is the real deal.
View attachment 104735
A fine story, Jonny. Kudos to your father, and I please let me share my sorrow that your mother is gone. Well done, sir.

My elderly neighbor travelled extensively and always stopped in at wineries. Eventually had a routine of working the harvest at two vineyards in France where she became close friends with the owners.
Been gone now for over a decade from cancer. Since her kids were so far away she relied on me for a lot of her care. We spent many evenings at her kitchen table. One time she brought out a bottle of 1997 Arrowood Malbec (California). Very drinkable, likely the best Malbec I have had to this day. That vineyard was sold and they ripped out all the Malbec, as it is a difficult grape to grow unless you are in Argentina or parts of France. I miss that wine, as it was simply perfect as per my taste buds.

Back