Welders? Any welders on this site?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been thinking I could make a second one and make a means of attaching them together. So you could have four tires. I’ll see how this one actually works first.

Looks good, would just watch the bar that the hitch connects to, that's gonna be a pretty large torsion load, worse case you simply extend it to the back, or maybe even just to the axle (thinking that's how an arbor trolley is?). Kinda like a keel on a boat.

Looks good, would just watch the bar that the hitch connects to, that's gonna be a pretty large torsion load, worse case you simply extend it to the back, or maybe even just to the axle (thinking that's how an arbor trolley is?). Kinda like a keel on a boat.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

You may want a pad under the tongue's foot. Also, you might want it to be rubberized, to prevent scratching pavement/ driveway pavers. I use duct tape on my AT foot and orchard ladders' feet at fancy people's houses.

The handle isn’t done. Still needs a foot.
I hear you guys about the torsion issue but the handle will be more less to move the thing empty not loaded. Pics will speak volumes on how I want to use it.

When you get into those exotics like T1,Manteen , HY 80 (submarine pressure hulls ) etc the method can change a bit .Most require some pre heat and require "annealing beads" after the final pass .Some recommend stringer beads not wide weaves . Now that was 50 years ago and might have changed since and for me 50 since I've done it .
That damned aluminum drives me nuts .If to dip the filler rod every time you pull out of the gas shield you pull in oxygen and get a sugar weld which is not good . It doesn't change color much either . I don't have a rig for aluminum so I don't fool with it .

8613ADD9-DEA6-4DF9-B384-275C3244E038.jpeg A2DBD2CD-9893-4CDD-92D5-9E1FA6EB060A.jpeg 289CFBE4-DE49-4DB4-9846-1EF65FAEC12D.jpeg F7F254B3-2E9B-48AA-8097-E209BA11EE85.jpeg
And so Domingo was baptized today. Trial by fire, he stood barefoot in the blaze and cast the struggle off with a shrug and a “Meh, that’s it!?” Worked great!
I have a feeling the handle will never leave the shop. Discarded like so many bottle caps never to be seen again.

Gussets more understood now. Keep an eye on your axle where the stubs are attached. Don't want a cantilever to become a can't lever. :) Looks good!

Yes I am just picking it up with the grapple and moving it around. On the trailer I can pick it up with the scoops on the BMG. Pinch, and up the ramps. Then I throw a strap over and ratchet it down. It’s heavy at a guess 140+/- but it is so much smoother and easier on the machine than just dragging logs. Well worth building.

It"s so nice that I can't understand the skiders don't use something like that to pull the logs out of the forests, It would be much more fuel efficient by a long shot.

A touch slower to load but so much easier on the machine to drag out. By a long shot way easier on the machine instead of a straight drag.

Anyone have tips on welding cast steel? Looking at the H-link on my mini ex and thinking it would be a good spot for a hook or pad eye. It's kind of an expensive part to foul up.

I wouldn't weld one on there. I have done many on the back of the bucket right by the attachment point tho. That's steel there, either buy a weld on hook or simply make a cardboard template and torch out some plate. We used to save pitted up blind flanges as stock since they were thick and good steel. You round the edges with a torch and grinder, get it all smooth, then even drill a hole for the mouse kit. Then you can dig like normal and then are ready to rig instantly. You also curl a bunch to let the cables spin freely (and shielding the guy in the ditch from mud and rocks falling out of the bucket), or curl out to act as a cable up or to align 2 sling picks. Works great, I've even welded grab hooks on you so can sling chain and adjust length easy.

I've also been on jobs where they just use a big shackle and a hook. Many buckets have loops on the back just for this, or you can torch/buy a big d ring to weld on. This is often seen as more osha correct, so on most of these jobs you listen to the hook clanging into the bucket all day because the laborer or oiler was too lazy to take it off :lol:

Sound advice, thanks. May just put a d-ring or padeye and a chain hook on each bucket and the grapple. Hoping to have something that stays with the machine but I reckon having it on the bucket gives you a bit more manipulation as well.

BTW Flushcut that cart is awesome, nice work man!

Back