Wasp stings

Since that's an integral part of the technique that Paul's kit advocates,

It is? I have used both at different times for insect bites, never once considered hacking a limb off or cutting in to one, I just put the suction part on the bite/sting and let it sit there for a minute or two. Maybe I should read the instructions, it may not be as simple as I thought.

for snakes it may be so, I never read the instructions. I assumed the blade was for shaving the affected area in order to ensure suction from the suction deals, good thing I never had to treat anyone for a snake bite!

OK, if we're on venmous critters now, I'd like to post something of Fiona's (thanks Fee) from another forum.

We Googled to find out how to treat it and we found an article by a doctor who uses nitroglycerine patches, the ones people use for angina.
The poison in a brown recluse bite is a vasoconstrictor, that is it collapses the capillaries and veins so the flesh dies. The infections are secondary to the initial problem. Nitroglycerine is a vasodilator, it opens the blood vessels allowing the body to flush the toxin out.

We took the article with us to our doctor the next day, he read it and immediately wrote a prescription for the NG patches.
You have to cut the patch to the size of the bite, and only leave it on during the day, take it off at night.
Once we started the treatment the bite stopped increasing in size and gradually subsided over the next three days.

This treatement WORKS folks and I'm not kidding. BR bites are VERY dangerous.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you guys familiar with these mosquito coils, are they available? Been around for ages. You light one end and they slow burn for hours, putting out a light smoke that repels mosquitos. Generally, people use it in their homes during the summer. I was in this work supply place and saw a little metal case to hold the coil and attach it to your belt or what have you, so wherever you are, there is a little trail of smoke in your immediate vicinity. I tried it out today in the woods and it worked real well, especially noticeable at breaks where being stationary usually allows the bugs to zoom in. You catch a whiff of the smoke now and then, but it isn't offensive. One coil lasted me to about 2:00, I guess. Might just be the novelty, but there is something neat about this little signal of smoke emanating from your person as you trape through the woods and work. Unfortunately it is not much effective against larger flying critters. They even make some coils for outdoors that put out a somewhat heavier smoke. The smoke generally dissipates before it gets to your nose, you just don't want to be hanging it around your neck. :D

Attachments

• mosquito_katori_coil_fd25w.jpg
    mosquito_katori_coil_fd25w.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
My bud who lived in Florida got a BR bite on his back. He went to the Docs and told him he was broke, but if he could tell him what to do he would pay him for that. The Dr. insisted my bud couldn't treat himself and should let him treat him. My bud told him no, he couldn't pay him, so he would do it himself.

He said he had to operate on himself in a mirror until it started healing. He was a tough dude.

When I was a teenager I used to sleep out in my treehouse. I would build a small fire and the smoke or the CO seemed to confuse the mosquitoes. It was very light in the tree but seemed to affect their homing in ability.

for snakes it may be so, I never read the instructions. I assumed the blade was for shaving the affected area in order to ensure suction from the suction deals, good thing I never had to treat anyone for a snake bite!

Paul, the kit I'm dissing is the first one you posted...the one that includes a scalpel. Toss that one.

The other one, I dunno about.

Had to cancel 2 big take downs last 2 days in a row because of very large wasp nests. Nothing like sending out a 4 man crew with all kinds of equipment, getting all set up and having to cancel and re-arrange your day on the fly, all because of a bunch of little bugs! Boo the wasps, boo!

One crew unloaded a can of spray on one of the nests and had no success. The other nest was too big to consider spraying. Extermintors are coming in to do battle with each nest early next week.

Seems like a good sprayer with a pesticide might eliminate those wasps pretty quickly, unless you are afraid of a little poison rain.

I heard it was the co2 their attracted to.

Mosquitoes are attracted to it. Once I was complaining about them and MB said "don't breath" I didn't know what he meant so I looked it up. Some mosquitoe traps have a CO2 lure.

I use those coils Jay was talking about as well as some other things, they're about the cheapest.

Burning dry cow manure always worked but it's a bit hard to come by around here now.:(

Seems like a good sprayer with a pesticide might eliminate those wasps pretty quickly, unless you are afraid of a little poison rain.

Any of the synthetic pyrethroids that are used against aphids and other stuff will work great if you use a somewhat heavier mixture.

Last time I used some Fast-tac 50.
For aphids in x-mas trees you mix it in a 0,012% solution ( from memory!) for wasps I use a 1/10.
The develop engine trouble as soon as they enter the cloud of spray.

Just don't breathe any in, yourself.
It has a low toxicity, but will sear your lungs badly.

sure, unless you like to inhale an organic paralytic neurotoxin :)
sadly most of that stuff is banned here these days.

Goofy fact about weed killer in the US - more is used on lawns, golf courses, athletic fields, etc. than farmers use on their crops. The smell of the stuff when I walk or ride a bike by it is enough to make me gag.

I regularly see farmers spraying their apple orchards from the seat of those weenermobiles. The state of the art in self protection seems to be a rubber slicker and a paper mask for the more intelligent ones.

That sucks. Nothing stays the same. Time to move out to the boonies? What kind of mining do they do for precious stones where you dig yourself a house while you are mining?

Ha, I remember when this was the boonies.

That's opal mining. Cooper Pedy is the underground town, I went there but didn't stay. Tried it for a while at Lightning Ridge, not quite as hot and there were some trees, but I won't be going back to either place.

Well Lilly got hit by one of the little buggers Saturday as we waited for the coaches. Had one harassing us for our drinks. Stung her on the finger.. poor thing. I took out my Primatine mist and drenched the puncture. Swelling went down quickly and you could not even see the spot by the end of the day. Epinephrine works great. Shame it is not available over the counter as of Jan 1st. EPA finally took it away from us asthmatics.

Back