TreeHouse Bee thread

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Bees are fascinating creatures and a compelling topic these days.

I'd like to learn more about them. Here are a couple interesting links.

And this is an excellent article, I think Kevin Bingham originally posted it

Any beekeepers in da House?

Our arborist, who retired last year, is all about the bees. He is working on his third hive and getting ready to take the honey from the first one to market. He loves the whole process.

Yea, I've always been interested in bees. An uncle gave me a book on beekeeping, but I never did anything with it. Probably won't, but it's a cool occupation.

I used to keep bees.
Gave it up for lack of time.

Dad and granddad always had a dozen or so hives. Never made a dime off’em but kept the neighbors and friends in honey. I enjoyed working with bees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the third article above in the OP talks about the issues between native bees and european bees which are the ones used commercially afaik

Last edited:
I don't believe there's any native honey bees. I think they all came from the old world, and I'm unaware of people commonly raising bees that aren't honey bees.

Sadly I don't see too many bees in my area.😞
My buddy that has a nursery has several hives on his property which is cool.

Last edited:
Friend of our family has really got head over heels into bees with his little family. Might check him out on Facebook.
Steve's Bees

Not finished the almond article, but the organic almond grower sells direct in 25# cases, or 5# & 10# boxes. You have to call for a price, and I bet it's steep, but I might do it. He said commodity almonds taste like cardboard, and I agree. I'd like to try some from a small grower, and see what the difference is.

... big rucking difference, say if you're a Marine suddenly deployed to the most unstable region in the world Jim. They have to say goodbye to their families now. Big difference to them !
I guess they import bees for pollination? Why would that prevent you from getting your own?

Haha! Rubbish at this I am!

The commercial bee keepers in the area pretty much put them on our land while they wait for the California pollination season.

They dont really pay anything....except for a little honey.

The commercial guys dont like the amateur guys because of disease and what not.

Back