Tree Men Be Here

They sent me a copy of all the fines they sent the company...it was crappy to read. $125 for not having a daily safety briefing, $250 for no chainsaw lanyard, $500 for not coning the sidewalk....they got hit hard. And every staffer without a saw lanyard was another offense/fine.

It was a good reminder for me to keep my worksites clean.

A saw lanyard for the climbers? I thought that was a matter of preference for the climber? I better get on those safety briefings as well. I havd called OSHA on 2 occasions. Both times they told me their inspectors were too busy to come out. Wth?

If OSHA had some jurisdiction here and sent inspectors, they would have to get permanent residency to even begin to check out the mess. Not as bad as Nepal, though. A friend took some pics of tree work being done in Nepal....:\:

Unattended chipper, next to a grocery store entrance? If it wasn't so expensive you could grab a pot roast and wrap it in a white bathmat, throw it through the chipper and yell "Oh my god Fifi!"

ROTFL.gif

Hey wait... I have cat named Fi!
tickedoff.gif

:lol:!
Man, I barely get my weekly safety meetings on paper let alone daily! I didn't know lanyards were a requirement either but I require them, those are my $650 saws!

I feel very unfortunate to have never seen a manure spreader, in person.

I spread it from the back of a pick-up, mixed with compost, using a wheelbarrow and flat-shovel, usually on a lawn.

Often times, listening to Eek-A-Mouse.

I've had a lot of stuff come flying out of the manure spreader at me over the years. If you're cleaning up off of dirt, you will get rocks big enough to kill you shot out of the spreader now and then.

They sent me a copy of all the fines they sent the company...it was crappy to read. $125 for not having a daily safety briefing, $250 for no chainsaw lanyard, $500 for not coning the sidewalk....they got hit hard. And every staffer without a saw lanyard was another offense/fine.

It was a good reminder for me to keep my worksites clean.

Ekkka would agree with you. He loves that stuff, too.

I read this on craigslist today... Ohh the irony...

I DO TREE WORK.HAVE MANY REFERENCE'S .IF YOU HAVE TREE'S THAT NEED TOPPED,FOR INSTANCE, LIKE SILVER MAPLE'S.OR TREE'S NEEDING THINNED OUT,OR DEAD TREE'S.WINTER TIME IS COMING, AND SO ARE POSSIBLy THE ICE STORM'S,AND WE KNOW WHAT A ICE STORM CAN DO TO A TREE IF IT IS VERY SEVERE.THERE IS A LOWER PRICE IF WE HAUL NOTHING AWAY,LEAVE EVERYTHING IN RANDOM LENGTH'S, OR WE CAN REMOVE ALL DEBRIES WHICH WOULD BE MORE .I'VE PROBABLY WORKED FOR ALOT OF YOU READING THIS.MY NAME IS STEVE. HAVE 25 YEAR'S EXPERIENCE,AND FULLY EQUIPPED TO TAKLE "ANY TREE",MASTER TREE CLIMBER'S ,CERTIFIED ARBORIST ON STAFF WITH 22 YEAR'S OF CLIMBING EXPERIENCE.WE PROBABLY FORGOT MORE ABOUT TREE WORK THEN MOST PEOPLE WILL EVEN KNOW.THANK'S FOR READING,AND LOOK FORWARD TO SERVING YOU.STEVE P.

Incase you wanted to email and the guy:lol:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/2146497738.html

I've had a kick back cut my screen and take a nick out of the hardhat.
Justin that reminds me of the old skidder operator I used to fall for when I was a young cocky greenhorn. When I wore my hardhat backwards with the screen up front he said between spits of chewing tobacco, " you realize that hardhat brim behind your head could be enough to stop that chain from nailing you between the eyes".
I thought about that for a bit, I think the next morning was the first day for the rest of my life that I wore my hardhat the right way.

Willard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Willard,
That picture of me on the maple trunk with an early helmet doesn't tell the whole story. Back then many helmets had no chin strap.
There was another crew working next door to where we were and a fellow cutting up a downed log apparently started to plunge cut under the log
to avoid pinching the bar, hit the tip of the bar and the brake didn't stop the chain until after it hit the brim of the helmet, sending it about
20 feet straight up into the air. He was screaming and we thought he'd bisected his face, but he was the luckiest fool in the world in that moment.
He was shaking and sobbing so bad the crew boss was holding him to keep him from falling down.
Scared us all and by the next day most of us had fashioned chin straps on our hardhats.

Burnham,
Your admonition to always wear long sleeves and long pants reminds me of a local treeman that some of
you from this area likely know. He is a classic George of the Jungle, chiseled-featured, good-looker, and he always works with a long sleeve shirt, but the sleeves are always rolled up and the front is unbuttoned right down to his belt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update on the "Discount Tree Service": They were back today, a block away deadwooding 85 to 90 foot pin oaks (five of them) around a house with their 60 foot reach bucket truck.
It's an older couple who have never done anything to maintain their trees and I'd be more upset about the state they left them in except the trees are all suffering from BLS and they'll be dead in the next few years.

Protection from scratches and cuts from brush mostly, Butch. Offers some protection from from poison oak or ivy. Insect bites. Shields you from radiation burns from fire; or any work with grinder, torch, welding.

I used to work for this climber who would start every tree with a couple of shirts on and then he shed as the day went on. He climbed bare chested so much that he what would be great tan if not for all the white scars all over him from getting scratched while climbing.

I prefer long sleeves on pine trees even if it is 100 degrees outside. I hate getting pitchy.

It is kinda funny how 2 people can be about the same, physical activity wise, but one will develop more muscle mass. Genetics, I would think. My step son works his ass off, but still has scrawny looking biceps.

Started wearing long sleeves with Davey and in the Army. Never wore shorts much, too many things to get scratched up on around the farm. Had one person ask me once if I had ever seen an Arab with a good tan from wearing shorts and T shirts. Had to say no. There is a good reason to keep covered up in the summer, it keeps you cooler in the long run. Winter is just self explanatory.

PS. The reporter caught me just arriving at the job-site for the photo you see. Shirt was still in the car!!!!!

It is kinda funny how 2 people can be about the same, physical activity wise, but one will develop more muscle mass. Genetics, I would think. My step son works his ass off, but still has scrawny looking biceps.
I have scrawny looking biceps but I can toss big rounds all the way to the front of the dump bed while young guys with huge guns can't make it half way. Power is better than muscle mass.

Back