How Much Lean Can Be Overcome By Pulling?

I have, on three occasions, used an entire spool (600’) of rope in pulling. All three times, I just got it back on the truck as best I could, then rewound it back onto the spool once I got home. Twice was across a river and it had to dry out before respooling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've thought about putting the 300' back on the spool, and that isn't off the table, but I need to work with it more to find the best workflow. I haven't used it much, and when I have, it was for it's length more than it's strength. I got it by splitting a spool with Mike. Cheaper buying a whole spool and breaking it down, so we both won.

That 300' rope will double to make a fine pull of significantly higher strength. I have, on multiple occasions, doused my 200' 9/16' by tying the ends together with a Zeppelin Bend. Yes, the Zip weakens it by a tall margin, but the rope is doubled. Doubled 9/16" can substitute for 3/4" in a pinch.

I'm looking over wesspur's clearance rope section, and they have 26' 1" stablebraid for $53, and 13' ¾" stablebraid for $16. Do either/both of those sound interesting for ad hoc ghetto slings/anchors? I could put about any knot I wanted in the 1" and it would still blow past the rest of my gear for strength.

I was anticipating setting a block as a snatchblock. I'm playing around with ideas as a worst case scenario(without getting too exotic), and can simplify from there.

If you have a block that will accept the 1” on the fixed sheave, I’d make a dead eye out of it. It’ll be close to 20’ long depending on how you finish the tail.

My block's rated for ¾", but I think 1" is a doable squeeze on the anchor side. I can't splice double braid though. Not that I've tried, but I'd want my first attempt at something less critical than an anchor.

Come grab my large block with a 18 ft dead eye tail, and a heavy rope- better safe than too small.

Back in the day we had 200' of a 1 1/4" triple twist rope that weighed a 'lot' !!
We doubled 3/4" plywood, drilled holes and inserted two posts made from a shovel handle, and mounted that on a handtruck.
Wrapped the rope on it while it was laying down, and rolled away with it.
I am pretty sure it's still in a shed out at the farm!

My block's rated for ¾", but I think 1" is a doable squeeze on the anchor side. I can't splice double braid though. Not that I've tried, but I'd want my first attempt at something less critical than an anchor.
I apologize…I read your post but my mind thought Tenex. I’ve done one splice on 3/4” Stable Braid, and while it turned out just fine, it was not fun.

I just ordered this from the clearance section...

CLXR26 Clearance Rope: 13' Stable Braid 3/4"
Quantity:1
1 each:$16.00
$16.00

CLXR14 Clearance Rope: 26' Stable Braid 1in
1 each:$52.50
$52.50

CLXR27 Clearance Rope: 67' Tenex Tec 5/8"
1 each:$54.00
$54.00

Hopefully I get it. I've had stuff go AWOL when it was purchased before me, but the site wasn't updated.

I’d have bought that 5/8” Tenex if you hadn’t! A large-eye ultra sling girth-hitched onto a Bend-Right ring has become my go-to for all but the biggest rigging.

Their clearance rope section's one of the most dangerous places on the web. I love rope, and I contrive all kinds of excuses and scenarios to buy more :^D There's some good deals to be had, and interesting discoveries. That's how I found ⅜" promaster was a thing. It's a great general beater line. Professional rope at a hardware store price. I bought a couple hundred feet just for random use.

They get some strange stuff in their clearance section. Like that 67' of tenex. There's plenty of saleable rope there at full price, or their in-house splicers could make slings out of it. I've seen lots of rope that stretches the definition of an "end", and sometimes hundreds of feet of line. My theory is they use it as a loss leader to get people looking at the site, and regularly checking in. I appreciate that they aren't drop shippers of rope. They deal with it in-house.

I think VSG gets their stuff precut, and spools get sent from the manufacturer. I used to like their bag of ends, but it's really a crapshoot as to what you'll get, so I've kinda soured on it. You'll get whatever from the rope companies, and it won't necessarily be arborist rope. One bag I got a bunch of polypro. I did find uses for it, but it's just about useless for treework.

If you pull from a guyed high pull point, you have more effect on the pulled tree, But...upward angle on the pull vehicle decreases traction. I have pulled my rear tires clear off the ground with a diesel dodge when I was young and screwing around. This is one benefit of the tow boom I have now. It plants the rear tires for traction.

Tractor vs. truck - generally more weight better, but tractor tires are a factor.

Weight front vs. rear - pull from the heavy end of the vehicle, but keep in mind pulling too hard in 4low Reverse with a pickup (especially a diesel because torque, weight, traction) can break front drivelines and axle shafts.

I have a hitch mounted winch that I made where it has a receiver with an eye. Carry it and a battery to an anchor tree and viola! I have chained it to the headache rack on the F700 and pulled trees straight down onto truck and trailer. :-D *Burnham's eyes roll*

This guy is more engineer than tree guy I think, but there is good food for thought and I think some calcs in his two back leaner vids :

500' of 1/2" cable is Heavy....that's what I use for ziplines in the dunes.

Last edited:
I'm of little help I fear, having pulled only a few trees relative to the number I have stood up with wedges.

The only puller I have used is either a Warn 12v. winch (either an 8k or 12k unit) mounted to my work truck, or an old Lewis chainsaw winch powered by an equally ancient Stihl 056. Mucho mech. advantage with up to 4 rigging blocks in all cases.

In extremis, I have managed to pull a 160-foot-tall Doug of about 28" dbh with the 12k Warn. I did not measure the angle of back lean, but it was far beyond what I could have wedged upright...perhaps 20 degrees? 4 blocks on that one, and I chained the rear hitch of the truck to a mid-sized forklift to help anchor it.

I am reminded of the work I did with fisheries, helping place large trees into streams to promote salmon habitat. That was pulling of the first order but was of a very different sort than your question relates to. Let me see if I can find a link...

I found this post in my search for the link above...slightly relative to the discussion here. A question to me, then my answer in the next post.

I see now you liked this one at some point @davidwyby, so it will not be new to you.

Back