Tree felling vids

Nice fell Stephen!!

Dang Willie you know fishing is the most important than working, right? ;)

Looking pretty consistent the last month or so. Pretty full time bidding this time of year

Great clip, Gary.

What's your setup on the spar? I THINK you've got your climbing line on the paw & your lanyard on the Ds...Does that give you the ability to rappel quickly?

Correct on set up...I put my PAW on the MCRS because I like the extra attachments points I get with it.

I should have taken my ring/ring false crotch up with me but forgot it. I winged it with the climb line around the spar. There were some slight "swells" below the climb line (where I had cut off limbs..."no stubs!!" per MB) and they served to keep my cambium saver above them as I descended. I kept the lanyard around the tree on the way down in case the climb line pulled down over the protrusions.

It did not so I got by without my ring/ring.

Thanks for the clarification, Gary!

I thought I was looking at something slightly out of the ordinary. Now I know why!

Without words:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lOc4f9ULNz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The double-face cut with rope at 1:02 can work great for pretty vertical, hung trees, giving control and direction, though I usually put the face cuts on opposite sides of the tree.:lol:

Did he put on the chain brake and move it back to half-choke between cuts, or what?

Often during these vids there is a change of feel, from "I'm playing at tree felling" to "shit is getting real" it's what keeps these guys alive a lot of the time.

I'm thinking Cryptomeria, not cedar ( Jay??)

Never seen the "simultaneous cutting from both sides" trick before.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qcGiVGN8LJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There was some crazy looking pushing going on with those saws it seemed to me, espescially on that second tree. Cool vid and big pumpkin on that 1st tree.

Yes, those saws weren't cutting too well.
I would have gone about that whole felling process differently, but they got them on the ground, so all is good.

Back