Tree felling vids

You got it...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/05FZ0PrT7o8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That was a big top Joel.

You're welcome.
When you up load the video, there is a place you can choose your share settings before you publish it.
Other wise you have to use the manager feature.

The recipe for this job.....

200 feet of Sterling Atlas 9/16" rigging rope.
1 ISC 5/8" aluminum block at the base of the neighboring tree
1 CMI 3/4" steel block at the top of the neighboring tree.
1 5/8" loopie sling at the top of the neighboring tree
1 3/4" Whoopie sling at the base of the neighboring tree
1 large portawrap attached to the Kubota's drawbar.
1 3/8" Tenex spider leg
Several heavy duty CMI loop runners
A few Big Dan carabiners

And a few large orders placed at TREESTUFF.COM

None of this is WRONG....but had I taken the time to do a little advanced planning, I would have placed my largest and heaviest gear at the top (rather than at the base) of the tree we were using as our primary rigging point....due to the larger forces being applied to the equipment at the top of the tree.

And I should mention that the tree top we were rigging down was being taken off of a tree that had been badly split, due to a recent lightning strike. The tree on the right was badly split and was located only inches from the roof of the house. The rigging plan was designed in this fashion due to the fact that we couldn't risk rigging anything off of the damaged tree, back onto itself.

Joel

Could you have gotten higher? Did that run at all? The butt stayed close to you, most importantly, from the look I got only in video. Was the butt certain to clear you?

Sean,

The top we were pulling off was rigged to the tractor, by way of a portawrap attached to the drawbar. As the finishing cut was being made, a pulling and lifting force was being applied by the tractor, pulling the top of the tree over toward the rigging block in the nearby tree. As the cut was finished, the top cleanly broke and moved away from the climber.

We couldn't allow the top to fall at all. All of this was taking place directly over the roof of the house. I estimated the weight of the top at about 1200 pounds.

This was the last of 11 large tops that we removed in the same fashion on this job. No damage to person or property to report. A perfect job......other than the fact that I nicked my 5/8" Pinto Rig Loopie with my saw.

Joel

Oh....I see that I could have left a door open for questions regarding my comment on the Pinto Rig Loopie.

We used the Pinto Rig Loopie as a control line redirect. A control line was rigged through the small portawrap. We used this system on most of the top removals to prevent violent swings after the tops were cut free. The climber was in charge of the control rope. My small portawrap was mounted to the tree at about waist level. The pinto rig pulley was mounted overhead and the control rope was redirected through the pinto pulley and then secured to the limb being removed. Once the limb was cut loose, the climber would take the half-hitches loose from the portawrap and use the control line to allow the cut end of the limb to gently swing away from him, and toward the rigging point in the next tree.

We could have used a Munter Hitch and a carabiner to control the swings on those cut limbs, but some of these tops were pretty heavy. I felt that the small portawrap would be a better choice.

David and I took turns in the tree. I removed 10 of the tops myself. David is shown making the cut on the final top. He was on spurs. We didn't want to climb any higher, due to the limb balance issue. We wanted the limb to go horizontal after cutting it loose. We didn't want it to cartwheel, or flip, so we placed a spider leg in the system and then moved the top rigging rope a bit higher in the top. The upper rigging rope was attached by throwing a line and then sending a running bowline from the ground.

Joel

Here you go Jed... My Echo was in the tree two over and I had the 200T.. :lol:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VwwzDLaQ8Nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well done as usual man. I swear Echo is the most underrated equiptlment in this bus. just because Stihl licks em' hollow. I mean... they're cheap as all get out, and they actually work o.k. Unlike my vaunted new 540.:X:cry::X:X:O:cry:

Even my boss is ticked at me for convincing him to buy those pigs. :cry:

Chewed me out last Friday.

No beatle stain in those eh?

Well.... I just bought an Echo 355T yesterday. My 200T gave it up. Not enough compression to keep running below WOT. Soooooooo....
I ordered a couple P/C kits to put 2 200Ts back together. Think I still have a spare carb too and a third crankcase.
Still have to open up the muffler on the 355. See how that goes this week. Mike went back up to Humboldt to do some contract climbing for PG&E on some hazard trees this week. So we should have enough saws to keep the two of climbing for now. Stihl have a 150T I w2ant to order and I do know where there is another Brand New 200T for sale :/:

And plenty of beetle stain... just not apparent in the video Jed.

I love my echo's , FWIW after u mod them and tune them there compariable to the rest within reason.

My little Echo 330T is just great. Love that saw. Starts on the first pull, which is great when in the trees. I have a 14" bar on it. It's fine for most everything I do. Great little saw for sizing things up for the chipper too.

Joel

It's funny... before the death of the great 200t, people wouldn't even have talked this way, but.... unfortunately... we've entered the strato-saw era. :(

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Joel. I did not understand much of it, but I make connections while I read Gerrys book. To my untrained eye that top looked hung up at first. Nice work.

I would like to try that some day Stephen. Nice video.

Back