Tree felling vids

Very good time lapse....the blue sky background was excellent for seeing what was going on. Good set up.

The top looked cool when it came off.

We would have dumped that tree in the street, grabbed it with the loader and stuffed it into the chipper...... maybe 20-30 minutes with clean up... the lawn could be spared any impact by putting some mats down, or limbing it up to needed height and cutting it a little high with a wide face..
Not the same when you''re working by yourself.. BUT SO MUCH easier...
Keep em coming Randy

Thanks guys. :)
Having a crew and equipment has gotta be so much easier..... ;)
And, as I said, it was a great excuse to do a time lapse. :thumbup::D

I may have put this up before but cannot remember. But as we have been on the subject of Crane work, here is a time-lapse a Media teacher did for us when we removed a mature Oak from a school.

The vid was a surprise as we didn't even know they were filming. It was 6 months later when we were working at the same school, the teacher gave us a DVD.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8vjvqIraVp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you understand that for most crew= employees, right? Make that different, as opposed to so much easier.

Ayuh, I sure do understand. That's the main reason I keep it as simple/basic as I possibly can.
I have tremendous respect for EVERYONE that owns/runs their own business.:big-not-worthy:

I'm just a "teeny" bit envious of being able to run most/all the wood through a chipper and having backpack blowers
to clean up the leaves and chips..... ;)

Randy, I went too long without a backpack blower. Once you get it, it will start paying for itself.

A mini will pay for itself, too. I have already been seeing that. Expands services...decreases dependence on others or wearing out your body faster. ASAP.

What is your disposal method now?

Sean I try to work it where the home owner will "dispose" of the brush.
The(few)times I'm not able to I'll dump on my property and burn it..... :(

Now with a Mini, I'm liking the idea of pushing more mulching with the chips, as a service. I could empty the truck, at the least, part way, and maybe be able to load it into the dump bed. One man, one rig capable.

Grapples seem more designed for hardwood, less stacking to pick up piles than conifers. I can't tell you how much I could have used a mini before. I bet you could make a lot of money on the clean-ups where you forward the brush or process the wood for the homeowner if you want to add onto the job, especially if you can get the HO to stack the small brush while you're doing other things, like lopping off firewood rounds right into the HO's wood pile, with the log at any height you want... knock off some rounds from end of the log, spin it, cut more, move machine forward.

You know your market better than anyone tho...

And while I think of it, you have snow in the winter, which tight access seems like a niche for a mini, maybe.

Definitely something that would be easier/help physically, less wear and tear on the body for sure.
And yes, we sure do get snow up here. Some great suggestions to consider. :thumbup::D
Thanks Sean.

Now with a Mini, I'm liking the idea of pushing more mulching with the chips, as a service. I could empty the truck, at the least, part way, and maybe be able to load it into the dump bed. One man, one rig capable.

Grapples seem more designed for hardwood, less stacking to pick up piles than conifers. I can't tell you how much I could have used a mini before. I bet you could make a lot of money on the clean-ups where you forward the brush or process the wood for the homeowner if you want to add onto the job, especially if you can get the HO to stack the small brush while you're doing other things, like lopping off firewood rounds right into the HO's wood pile, with the log at any height you want... knock off some rounds from end of the log, spin it, cut more, move machine forward.

You know your market better than anyone tho...

And while I think of it, you have snow in the winter, which tight access seems like a niche for a mini, maybe.
A BMG rake/broom does a very good job spreading chips in open areas.

What do those run, Rajan?

I'm so excited to be getting the Towing L-hitch tube for the grapple. Rather than bring brush to the chipper, bring the chipper to the brush, and blow into the woods.

Provided you have enough customer base, a one-man show with a dump truck/ flatbed for hauling wood and mini, and towing a smaller chipper could get a lot done. Add a Wraptor, and you could seriously kick it out. Leave room for the mulch bucket or scoops and a rake/ broom, then make the payment.

How's the broom for snow?

I think some where around $700 and they work well for snow. This past winter I had 5 crispy oaks to flop and pushed about an acre clear of 5" of snow in about half an hour. Pushing snow out of the work area is a major plus, better clean ups and just easier working conditions not trudging thru snow.

Sean, you'll like the ability to move the chipper around with the mini!

I have a ball attachment and move chipper & trailer around quite often with it rather than using a truck. Very handy!

Yep I made a hitch plate with a combo pintle-2 5/16" ball very handy for moving trailers and chipper and pulling out dead nursery stock.

Handy as all get out to be able to move the trailers and chippers around in tight places.. I can't tell you how many times there was no turn around at the end of a long dirt road on a removal. Unhook chipper or trailer, move with mini, hook back up... bye bye.... Let alone moving the chipper to the tree or just moving shat around the yard.

Here's a Spruce I took down Monday. Could've easily flopped it but the home owner said "no lawn damage".
Besides, it was a great excuse to try my first ever time lapse video. Sorry, no sound. I was in a hurry to upload it..... ;)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iy4LL8TOmfI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great video, Randy! Very watchable. Perfect vantage point for it.

I couldn't tell for sure, but was this done completely on spikes and lanyard, no climbing line? Probably obvious to everyone else, just thought I'd ask. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Tim

Last edited:
Back