Tree felling vids

Love it! practically a new sport... obstacle course tree wrecking... kinda like jumping school buses. Keeps it interesting!..

That video brings to mind the old Paul Simon tune.... " a man does what he has to do and he disregards the rest"... 12 degrees... no fun... BUT clothes line, trailer and patio furniture... that's fun!

One question though... wouldn't it be easier to draw and replace the handsaw with a different orientation????

I wish someone (cough, RopeTek) would invent a set of climbing spikes with both a handsaw scabbard and foot ascender built in. Yep.

Love it! practically a new sport... obstacle course tree wrecking... kinda like jumping school buses. Keeps it interesting!..

That video brings to mind the old Paul Simon tune.... " a man does what he has to do and he disregards the rest"... 12 degrees... no fun... BUT clothes line, trailer and patio furniture... that's fun!

One question though... wouldn't it be easier to draw and replace the handsaw with a different orientation????

Probably would but, may sound kinda funny but if I put the saw in the scabbard with the handle facing the other way it will get stuck..... :banghead:
I'm still trying to find a "convenient place" to attach the scabbard, hangin' it from my hip doesn't work for me at all.

Working solo, aloft in the trees, I always had a little voice telling me to be extra careful. falling timber the same. Sometimes working on the other side of a mountain from all the rest of the fallers. If you got hurt you were basically on your own. No one would check on you til the end of the day. There's an unwritten rule in the woods to always go check on the last faller working on your way out. Even if you don't like the guy you still hike into his strip to tell him he's going to be alone after you leave. Most fallers will set their saw down when you tell them that.

I recall you mentioning the cautionary in your book, Jerry. I have always remembered it as well, the need for extra careful. At least having a cell phone seems like it would be mandatory for some partial margin. Lost a faller from the neighborhood awhile back here, working separated from the rest of the group. Not that much experience, more a carpenter than a tree guy, and in snow conditions. An Oak set back on himself. It was only after wondering why he didn't come in that they found him. Sad deal, he left a young family.

Always extra careful working alone, can never be too careful doing work like this.
I do carry a cell phone, to be honest my wife insisted. It's a good idea.
Jerry, that little voice gets a lot bigger when I'm working trees like that Poplar, and I listen every time. ;)

Working alone in a tree I'll always make sure someone, usually Richard, has the address and call in at a set time or when I'm done.
We do the same thing when logging.
SMS each other at fixed intervals 4 times in the day. I once got my foot pinched by a rolling log while winter logging.
That was before cell phones so we used walkie talkies. Mine was in the truck, since it was too bulky to carry while working.
Knowing that someone would come by in about 2 hours time was a great comfort. I also had two husky blends on the truck that I could have called out and used for keeping myself warm, so I was pretty well set.
I had just managed to dig myself out when help arrived, scraping in the frozen ground with a stick.

Ayuh, my wife expects a call from me by a "certain time", if not she will check on me or have someone check on me.
Have not had to do that yet..... ;)

Here's a Poplar I took down last Saturday.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G_3trtsUCZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great vid Randy ! It's nice to hear someone other than me take those stress relieving breaths when a worrysome limb or top goes right then the next one needs done. !!
You could have been doing a young cottonwood or poplar here. They look and cut/ act identicle..

Great vid Randy ! It's nice to hear someone other than me take those stress relieving breaths when a worrysome limb or top goes right then the next one needs done. !!
You could have been doing a young cottonwood or poplar here. They look and cut/ act identicle..

That's some nice measured cutting Randy. Good job

Thanks guys. :)
A big sigh of relief, just a moment(or two)to relax before the next cut. Grateful if all came down safe with no damage. :D
I know I've said it before but, the more cutting I do, the more I realize I need to learn a whole lot more..... :thumbup:;)

:lol:

Here's the latest from August Hunicke…
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7kMdayGHjDU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This vid is awesome and the American Tree man is crazy good.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XO3dt_h-qXQ?list=UUSSqc6uBFz_yx-LBrjyRrvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was way faster. Garden and stucco walls below meant almost everything on the first trunk had to be roped out. We had this rope set, GRCS installed, and the tree on the ground in maybe 15 minutes. This was faster and less work...and cooler.

Back