Tree felling vids

Jay, I recall we discussed something along these lines in one of the felling threads I started, most likely one featuring a re-certification course I took with Doug Dent, may he RIP. Too bad you came up empty, obviously short-sighted managers are a world wide scourge.

The cultural mindset of not sticking out in a crowd, tho present in Western societies. Is much more present in Eastern societies.
I had a heck of a time trying to keep Chinese sailors, deck hands out of the bight on bulk carriers when tying up and letting go ore barges. Indians were almost as bad. .

I do recall that we discussed the topic, Burnham. It is in my thoughts to a degree all of the time.

Very true about the social aspect of individualism being emphasized differently depending on the culture. Here, people will wait in line three hours to go on a ride at Tokyo Disneyland, because the person standing in front of them is doing it as well. Educated that way from nursery school, but there are some good things that come out of it as well. You wouldn't believe how well nine and ten year olds can play little league baseball, because of the team consciousness about training. I live by a baseball ground, and they will be out there when it is snowing, working on making double play, etc..

My neighbor took a two week trip to FL, left on a Monday. On a whim I stopped by his place on Friday and checked out the house...all looked fine until I started getting in my car to leave and looked up over his shop...a 6" x 35' oak limb had broken off and landed in the top of another oak and was suspended over his shop.

I got some pictures and video to show him what was going on and went home (across the street :) ) and got my gear. It was already after 5 pm so time was of the essence. I was able to anchor the butt until i could get back in daylight to see what was really happening.

Alex and I finally coordinated a time to get the limb down. The first video is simply documenting the limb being hung up in the tree...I sent my neighbor the link to get his OK to do the removal.

Second video is how we got it down. We put in a second rope and floated the main part down. It was a pretty big mess working my way through the top of the support tree..it snatched my goggles off once and stripped my saw out of the scabbard later. The broken limb was constantly re-adjusting itself based upon my weight, when I cut the top 15 feet off of it (and let it bomb into the woods behind the shop) and I had one fun fall off the limb.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XqhCZ6GlP64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1:20 was a fall when I pushed the limb off its support and it bucked me off....1:33 was bailing off on purpose :/:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HHDdmemqlZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aparadyr.jpg

e4y6utav.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqSQV-hdmfg

mobile...

Nick,
you've got some great color there, nice job on the "bi pod".....;)

Gary,
your neighbor must really appreciate having you live nearby, well done on that limb. :thumbup::)

Some logging / yarding / felling from the 30's and early 40's. There are some excellent yarding shots...spinning a log to free it from an obstruction is an eye opener...some amazing scenes of very big wood being yarded, moved, transported (trains, early trucks, dozers, etc.). The music is of that period, very cool to hear.

These had to be some tough guys...surely some of them were formidable fighters in WW II.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I0K5XwmGmuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gary, cool vid! Crazy power on those yarders. That firewood guy was Jacked, eh?

After watching some of these videos, it occurs to me that every new chainsaw purchase should come with a copy of Fundamentals of General Tree Work.;)

Back