Tree felling vids

I see those stubs as rib breakers or lung busters in the event of a gaff out. Not to mention more snags for falling material to grab onto on the way down and either hang up or rock the tree. I myself leave the occasional, strategically placed small stub to use to hang my climb line on while working the tree down, but nothing like whats shown above. I might have left 3, 2" stubs. But, that's just me, and Im often wrong about things.

Totally agree about the stubs being dangerous breakers and busters. One of the first comments MB ever made to me here when I posted a work picture was "NO STUBS". It stuck with me. I almost never leave them now...sometimes like Tucker, for climbline support.

I see those stubs as rib breakers or lung busters in the event of a gaff out. Not to mention more snags for falling material to grab onto on the way down and either hang up or rock the tree. I myself leave the occasional, strategically placed small stub to use to hang my climb line on while working the tree down, but nothing like whats shown above. I might have left 3, 2" stubs. But, that's just me, and Im often wrong about things.

Yup!

This dude just posted a comment on my page, so I checked his page out and found this awesome video!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/TtOS5rV1aPM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/TtOS5rV1aPM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Now that was exciting to watch! :greenjumpers: I wonder what the story is behind that job? "Seems" like the tree is in the middle of nowhere. :?

I wonder if working like that ever gets routine.....? :dontknow:

That is pretty insane. We've all heard of helo logging, but taking a tree apart pc by pc with a chopper?? Wow. The pilot's skill is incredible. I presume he can't see what he's picking when he's right over it, maybe a copilot/spotter is used?

Where was that job??

The pilot can see. There's a bubble shaped outcrop on his side windshield that he can stick his head out and look down.

A bit more
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/oRio21NI7q0?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/oRio21NI7q0?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

We could have the used the bucket but instead we just used the truck part...

We were concerned that it wouldnt fit in the LZ if we flopped it.... so a throwline over the canopy pulled a rope over. That rope was tied to a tree.... You can figure out what happened after that:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tb9C8YCajUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is better, Nick ... did that a couple of years ago with a long dead Sycamore and a farm tractor. Ripped out one side ... then the other and dropped the stem with a letter box and a pull from the tractor ... GREAT TIME.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Seriously though you guys are right, breaking the hazard is safer than going underneath it or even putting the bucket up near it.

I used a big shot to send the line over the top, so it was a one shot deal and then pulling the rope over was quick. By tying the rope at an angle to a tree at waist height we gave a theoretical 2:1 mechanical advantage to the pull (the 2:1 is further de-rated for angles, friction etc). Whatever the 'advantage', given the the distance from the stem and the lever action on the branch unions there isnt much you couldn't break out with 25k+ lb bucket truck and a strong enough rope. My 1/4 ton pickup truck would likely have just lifted the rear end off the ground.

Yeah. We took it the direction that the camera is facing. Used 2 ground anchors to redirect pull straight into the road and yanked it out of the tree line with a F750 2 ton dump. There were leaders going into the woodline and we wanted to pin it tight with the road. One of them broke off and ended up as a 40' standing snag, so we pulled that out too.

Its a large corporate campus, and not a main traffic artery, so we had the entire road blocked off 1/4 mile in each direction.

A recent take down.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wQCUY1dN9OU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back