Tree felling vids

My first ever climbing job was two big Lombardy's, another 2 had blown over and had to clear them up. I used a handsaw for most of the branches for some reason, and didn't know how to rig stuff down. I sure was green! Things have now changed :)

Amazing how a really sharp hand-saw'll tear up the poplar! BTW--well done man: Lombardies are some scary pigs.

Pete: Well done. I've definitely never dealt with any of them LIKE THAT in my life. Ugh.....

I think most woods fallers have done that a time or two.
On swampy ground it is even more fun.

Looked a lot like where I cut! We call that "fence posting" cut off a fence post length on the hung tree until it rotates 180 out of the tree. Done it a bunch, scares the Hell out of me every time!

Fence posting is one thing but I'm not so sure about those angled cuts .

Usually you just make a little cut on top and run it up from the bottom and it folds over .Strange method but it obviously worked .

Fence posting is one thing but I'm not so sure about those angled cuts .

Usually you just make a little cut on top and run it up from the bottom and it folds over .Strange method but it obviously worked .

AGREED! Those angled cuts look risky to me, too. I seem to get a lot of second growth coppice thinning. So, I often get leaners. When I have to 'walk-down' a leaner, I like a series of 'snap-cuts' - so they'll snap and fold away from me. If there's any doubt, I'll rope/strap above the cut so they can't fold toward me: limb & cut - move cinch up - next cut ... and so on. It's all firewood anyway so the short pieces are good. It takes a little extra time but when you're working alone, the peace of mind is worth it.

Besides those angled cuts are just NASTY to split. :lol:

I use the angled cuts when the lean of the tree is too steep/vertical for the normal cut to be feasible.
Works fine, but you don't want to get your foot caught under the log as it comes down.

When I have to take a tree down that way, whatever is cut will be left in the woods to rot, since it is not cut to log lengths.
So I don't get paid for it.
But sometimes it is the only way to get a hanger down.Once you've hit them with a couple of other trees and they still hang, it is time to take them for a walk.

I wish I'd taken a pic a couple of years of a Larch I got hung up. We were thinning a plantation and I had to take 1 tree out from a clump to open them up a bit.
Any way tree got hung up slightly so I proceeded to knock lumps off the bottom. That bloody tree went from 1 tree to another and i ended up with a perfect triangle of wood on the floor ended back at the stump. Andy (BigA) was with me and when he saw what I had done just stood there and scratched his head for a while:lol:
We ended up renaming Larch's too Velcro Trees.

I use the angled cuts when the lean of the tree is too steep/vertical for the normal cut to be feasible.
Works fine, but you don't want to get your foot caught under the log as it comes down.

When I have to take a tree down that way, whatever is cut will be left in the woods to rot, since it is not cut to log lengths.
So I don't get paid for it.
But sometimes it is the only way to get a hanger down.Once you've hit them with a couple of other trees and they still hang, it is time to take them for a walk.

I agree Stig. The angled cuts are necessary if the tree is too far upright. I come up from underneath about as far as I can without binding the saw, then down through the top quickly. Sometimes even up from the bottom, take some meat off the sides, and right through that vertical strip of wood holding it all together.

Cheers everyone,

There was me thinking only Norfolk, and Netherlands were flat. ;) It was a great climb, there was a clear section of around 30ft where the tree had a few tear outs. The tree is on the remains of an old Stately home which was a WWII spitfire base and the owner had some pictures of the servicemen chilling under the canopy in deck chairs. One of the funnest climbs ive had in a while but as usual a bunch of like minded arb types you know the climb to the top is going to be a laugh.

Cool video! That looked like a lot of fun.

Here is a pecker pole patch that I cut down the other day:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YH0-7bXnF8M?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YH0-7bXnF8M?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nice.
If you can limb and buck as smooth as you can fall those peckerpoles, you'd make a hell of a pulpcutter.

Trees that size is just what the felling bar is great forforcing over. Way faster than wedges.

I got the "Needle gauge" trick from Burnham. Really useful and previously unknown in these parts.

Back