Tree felling vids

It was the worst video I've ever seen. The climber sucked too.

Their first video is even more interesting. :|:

Saws & Balls Tree Service - Git-R-Down! :lol:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4dFIMl1BtE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That part where they were dicing up firewood just blew my mind. Killer footage. They managed to capture the exact moment when he was cutting it up. Awesome footage.

attachment.php
Even I don't use a claw hammer ... on a tree. :D

And ... isn't that a splitting wedge? :?

Oh I do. I even use two of them to assist in climbing the tree. Just like hay hooks...:P

When I first started climbing I constantly cut out my good tie in and rigging spots. I didn't know well enough to map the removal out in my mind, then cut. It was more like cut the easy stuff out and struggle through the rest.

Plan your work, then work your plan. It's not unlike playing chess - you've gotta have some strategy you're working with.

a classic:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RvqlQiaqjQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe we should have 2 threads... a "tree cutters wall of shame" and keep the good stuff here?

Looked like a good climber, but that saw wouldn't be my weapon of choice. Maybe there was something we don't know, like his preferred saw was acting up.

I used a 3120 and 4' bar up an Oak a couple of years ago and still had to walk it round abit.That nearly killed me with the amount of effort it took even with making a load of pre-cuts first. Each ring was no more than 8", it was all I could do to slide them off and what with the saw pulling me in half hanging off my harness made things a tad difficult.

I jest hike my saddle a lot. No way I'd have started out with a 361. A 200T would have handled quite a bit of that top stuff. I've blocked down some pretty big stuff with a 192 and 16" bar before getting my first 200T. I'vbe taken 24" cuts a time or two with the old 192. Slow, but easier to handle than a bigger saw. Rotator cuff tears and wrestling big saws while hanging on the side of big spars don't go well together.

I've used Carl's 660 up in a tree a few times. Aside from that, my Husky 288XP with 32" bar is the biggest I've used up top. I had to block a hickory down once that had a deck built around it. I limbed/brushed/topped it out, having my groundie stack everything tightly around the tree on the deck. Then I sliced it off in 6" slices and shoved them off on the pile. The deck shook, but held. Only broke one board, and it was near the trunk and was going to have to be replaced anyway when the hole was covered. It was big enough that after slicing off a 6" wafer, I could barely push it off the trunk. Slow, grueling work....:cry:

Nah, never used them. That thing was so heavy don't think anything bar a crane for the saw would have made it any easier:)

Never had 880 in a tree 660 plenty but if the man can handle it why not.
Besides throwin a saw around in the tree always seems easier than on the ground. imo
Spurred. lanyard and tied in gives you plenty more leverage.

There is no way that it is 'easier' to run a big saw (460-660-880) in the tree than on the ground. Cutting a notch in big wood standing on your spurs is certainly more difficult than from level ground.

I think you missed my point. All things being equal it will be easier for me.
Spur,rope and lanyard helps create amazing leverage. for pushing/pulling off cookies and tops and handling saws.
Lowr body is locked in place. Much like sittin in the weight machine doin presses or pull down etc.
Am I missin somethin?:)

Back