Tree felling vids

This is a month old. No badass drama here but its my first time on one of your Eastern pines, so it was a real thrill for this Prairie arb working with Chip on this.

It was a full 100 feet tall to the top and all dead. My usual trees in calgary are quite a bit shorter. Highest I've ever been on gaffs by far. First time playing with a bit of speedline too. And the biggest top I've ever knocked off. Just a cool thing to try out all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZzCImV49Mc&feature=g-upl&context=G2a3de5bAUAAAAAAABAA

You Easterners have awesome trees. I need to be here more.

Professional cutter with 30 years experience, so says the caption...looks like it, doesn't it?

That's a screamer! HOLY S%$#@*&^#$@!................ That rope was set low and seems like it was close to 45 degrees, putting the two ground men well within the DZ from the look of it on the vid.. Who knows maybe that one little cottage took a bullet for two men! I'd have set a high pull line with the big shot and pulled it over with a skid steer, leaving a WHOLE LOT more hinge to fight the side lean.. Looks like he was depending more on the wedges than the pull line.. two men on a low line aren't gonna do much with a tree that big!

A pondo like that would be treacherous as would a grey up here. Sugar pine you could probably pull it off.
Bugs have there way with them pretty good on these foot hills..

That's a screamer! HOLY S%$#@*&^#$@!................ That rope was set low and seems like it was close to 45 degrees, putting the two ground men well within the DZ from the look of it on the vid.. Who knows maybe that one little cottage took a bullet for two men! I'd have set a high pull line with the big shot and pulled it over with a skid steer, leaving a WHOLE LOT more hinge to fight the side lean.. Looks like he was depending more on the wedges than the pull line.. two men on a low line aren't gonna do much with a tree that big!

Probably nipped the hinge as well....

Even with a puller, it's a sinking feeling when you realize that you can't pull it up, after you have cut it up pretty good. Mommy!!!

One of those do or die things. Still living apparently, but it can shake you up. Tightlining with a two ton puller. You do get lucky sometimes, lose it but it doesn't hit anything.

Hear ya...... I remember one I waited for the wind to let off to pull it some more... :lol:
Kept saying.. I know we can, just a little more.. damn wind... give it a sec.. yup... NOW!

This dude got off pretty lucky.... Well.... with exception of never hearing the end of it from the wife :lol:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hI-GthCBeUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah!!! That was hilarious!! She's sitting there lecturing him about gravity, and the fact that the tree is a lot taller than the height of the bucket.

Poor chap.

It's amazing, they just keep coming. I wonder if electricans and plumbers have these sort of videos as well.::?

This guy should have listened to his little brother.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7jrHAMVYWxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought that tree didn't look too good for climbing, based on appearances. Chip knows his stuff.

Yeah, he does.

I don't know these eastern pines, how they should feel dead or alive so he went up first to make sure. It was solid. In fact damn solid. The main thing was staying gaffed in. It was dead of pine beetle and there was no significant rot we could detect. I got up to about 85 feet to tie on the rope and it was full of holes but pretty solid even up there.

That was a scary looking tree, Nora.
Nice job.
I hate climbing dead ones.
Unfortunately, with the way ash trees are going here, I will have to get used to it.

Great job , Nora.
You're lucky you can work with that buddy.
Here sometimes is not so easy to find an old wise dog who wishes to share his tricks.

Back