Tree felling vids

I guess it's a PNW thing but what's the rationale re the climbing saw hanging below the feet?

I typically hang my saw. This was probably a time where I didn't want to take my attention away from safely and quickly unsheathing my hand saw and paying attention to any movement of the top, so just tossed the saw and rather than getting the lanyard ring on my saw hook (not set up as one-handed hooking and unhooking), grabbed the lanyard and let it slide to the end of the lanyard length.

I think maybe what cory means is "Why so long?". I was thinking I like a long lanyard to maximize my reach. If I can reach it, I want to reach it with a saw. I rewatched your vid cause I didn't notice, and damn, you have a long lanyard. Seems like you'd have a lot of lanyard left at maximum reach.

The leather around the heel on my right boot is all nicked up from the saw, no lanyard used, dang.

Last edited:
I typically hang my saw. This was probably a time where I didn't want to take my attention away from safely and quickly unsheathing my hand saw and paying attention to any movement of the top, so just tossed the saw and rather than getting the lanyard ring on my saw hook (not set up as one-handed hooking and unhooking), grabbed the lanyard and let it slide to the end of the lanyard length.
The hanging/stowing thing is an issue I struggle with.
I’m a hanger by instinct, cos that’s how I learnt.
My nephew is a stower for the same reason.

I sometimes try to habituate myself to stowing, it rarely lasts.

I hang the saw almost all the time, from the tiny ms 150T to the monster 3120xp.
I stow only to avoid dragging the chain on the concrete, gravel, roof, wires or groundy's head. But I don't like it because that adds a parasitic weight / movement near my butt and that disrupts my own movements/feelings. Moreover, I hate to have the sharp teeth in reach of my legs and/or in the way of my right arm and hand (bloodied glove as an evidence in my first climbing week). The last point: if the rope is caught around the bar (descent or fast rewinding the tail), there's almost no time to react to prevent an hard snug and rope's damage.
I dislike the commercial bungy lanyard though for two reasons : it's too short for me to allow a full reach (over extended arm toward the left with a side way cut) and I have to sew an extension, annoying. Two, the recoil effect from the internal bungy adds to the saw's weigh and hampers the precise positioning.
So now I use one of my retired multipurpose 3 strands slings. Strong enough for the task, even if damaged, cost nothing, gives something to grab between the fingers, I don't cry if I nick it during a cut and I can pick a "new" one at will. No problem of supply.

I do both depending on immediate need and mood. If the saw's left running, it always dangles. If I'll need it again immediately, it almost always dangles. If it won't be needed for awhile, or I'm moving, it gets racked. I don't think either way is clearly preferable. There's a chance of a dangling saw hanging up cut branches, but racked creates a loop that can get hung up on cut and live branches. Whatever you like imo. I don't see where forcing a change either way is warranted.

The hanging/stowing thing is an issue I struggle with.
I’m a hanger by instinct, cos that’s how I learnt.
My nephew is a stower for the same reason.

I sometimes try to habituate myself to stowing, it rarely lasts.
Setting up for one-hand stow and retrieve is worthwhile, especially with an electric top-handle (my cs2500t is out of commission, at the moment... it takes a lanyard on the base of the wrap handle and its stiff, rear ring is well suited). It's been low on my list. I am wont to say that I've got 62 tires at last count. I'm happy when tires, oil reservoirs and fuel tanks are filled, and things are reasonably clean and dry.

I don't like pulling a saw up all the time, especially rear handles, with which I commonly jump to an MS362.

Good to have the muscle memory to slide a saw down when needing to handle a piece.

I've never... well, don't go saying it...

I always use a breakaway saw lanyard.

I've taken to zip ties for hanging rigging ropes on my saddle, too.

55 all together. Only 22 on the road currently. There's three project trucks (technically 4) and three scrap wagons waiting on the steel prices to come back up.

KaVeMaN, why are you having an odd number?!?!

We have an old Honda three wheeler, which technically "runs" or should I say, "ran when parked" lolz

Actually, I have a a tripod stumper, so another odd- number count.

Actually, I have a large swivel caster for my chipper, so I'm back to even.

Not counting spares.

All working.

I better recount.

2 dually. 12
SRW pick up. 16
Van 20
Chipper 23
Trailers 33
Grinder 36
Hand truck 38
Log arch 40
Wheel barrow 42
Riding mower and dump trailer 48
Used to have a travel trailer (4)

Used to be 52, not 62. Down to 48, skipping spares and bicycles, though I have ridden my bike (and once neighbor's e-bike) to shuttle a truck to or from a job.

What do you think of the swivel castor? I've been thinking about getting one, but don't know how well it would work. I think it really needs to be useful offroad to be useful to me.

I've used it a little. Generally, the mini is enough with me operating.

I've spun my chipper 180⁰ after backing in, allowing me to blow chips in the rear of the yard.

Some other time, too.

I simply bolted it on the tongue for the use, then removed it.

55 all together. Only 22 on the road currently. There's three project trucks (technically 4) and three scrap wagons waiting on the steel prices to come back up.

KaVeMaN, why are you having an odd number?!?!

We have an old Honda three wheeler, which technically "runs" or should I say, "ran when parked" lolz
And here I thought you were gonna show us your unicycle. :lol:

Back