Tree felling vids

End grain...flat grain would make me nervous.

Once the tree is tilted, the opening becomes angled, increasing the propensity to spit out...all theory for me. I don't usually get trees where jacking would be the way. Hm! Maybe that big codom euc.

@stig I wonder if the thick hinge had let go by the time it stalled in the other trees.
You probably have some high power press in your shop. Do you want to test end grain versus face grain?

You probably have some high power press in your shop. Do you want to test end grain versus face grain?
I could do that. Place a flat piece of wood on the end of a firewood round and press.

The press brings a point to mind...one must always be careful to keep things straight and parallel when pressing, or things go flying. If I were jacking a tree over and it had traveled far enough that that jacking surfaces were pretty far out of parallel, I'd probably want something like my aluminum one way wedges as a spacer to approximate the angle. Also, if the trunk got leaned far enough, I could see the jack blowing out the side.

Rotten tree? I would have let it run at least a little. Sketchy looking even without that shock load. Glad it worked out ok.

Thanks for the comment.

Discussion is good.

That was not an exemplary catch of the least peak force possible, and seemed pretty light...I had a smooth 180⁰ bend over the crotches.

That was the healthiest of the four. I didn''t want to climb higher than that rigging point, as it was rotten at that rigging point, down the middle, with a bunch of shell growth, and basally affected.
More solid than rotten, and nothing like the drum of rot next to it...gentle climbing.

Yes, had it run a bit more, it would have been better.

It was a light load, slowed through dragging on the fir. I'd already removed about 30' of live crown's phototropically-oriented weight and leverage, which was in the direction of the rigging load.

I could have tipped it directly into the fir crown to prevent it from flipping, then managed it down from there.

I was fully prepared to toss my hand saw if I needed extra time to get the rope.

Last edited:
Just my generally useless .02 :)...those decorative cedar fences are easy to take apart and put back up. Would it have been possible to pull that tree onto the lawn if the fence was out of the way?

All 4 trees would reach the house, if felled, not stripped and persuaded.

They all grew, trunk and limbs, to the south, toward the house.

This third ree was growing the most offset from the stump. It was slowest to taper. I considered pulling it into the wetland area, but couldn't get a retainer line into it. I definitely wouldn't have trusted a hinge on that to hold the side weight.

I minimally felt the movement.

Someone could have run the rope from 10-15' back behind the tree to maximize the compression.

I didn't feel like catching it was pushing any limits.

Back