Tree felling vids

I was thinking that. They're made to tough out storms. How's the root structure on them, and how do they decay? IOW, what would make you say "Nope!" to a palm tree?

The roots are like piles of tendrils that stretch as much as a 30' radius. Big pukas or holes seldom rot but never heal either so long as the palm is living. You can climb them so long as the vertical chutes of new fronds look viable. Or if the crown can support nuts. They easily grow in Hawaii to 85' . If you spike climb 🤮 palms you must climb in the pre-existing holes from other climbers. This is why I wanted that band climbers that Burnham had. In Hawaii they call those a "tree bicycle"🤷‍♂️. There are frequently departures from conventional tree care safety like using a cane knife machete to remove fronds and nuts. I have a tremendous scar in my left knee cap from once swinging down instead of swinging up which is the safety rule in Hawaii.

RATS 🐀 I forgot to mention the RATS 🐀 and CENTIPEDES! Tons of them nest in the crowns. 🍬 Candy wrappers and garbage are a general sign that you have RATS 🐀 in your palms. Respirator and full sleeves, and change of clothes and a portable shower. I chopped many a "bird with ears" in half with my cane knife while working the crowns. 90% of the palms above ground mass seems to be carried in its crown.

Last edited:
It really is a cowboy job, but damn if it don't pay good. Simple cleaning $180-250 and I could have one done in a half an hour to an hour depending where it was on the property . The palm cleaning business came from the high mortality and injuries that were attributed to falling nuts. At one time coconuts killed more tourists in the tropics than anything else. People just couldn't help themselves and would shelter in the palm shade on the beaches oblivious to massive nuts high above. The nuts will flatten tin roof, bust tiles, tear up comp roofing, put divets in your lawn. The clusters are extremely heavy and I like to bag them before I cut them and rigged them down. You earned your money but damn if it wasn't a blast!

Oh I beg to differ... I have seen some of those well produced videos of you guys at Eastside and admire the level of professionalism that people have taken this trade to. I prefer safety over rough and tumble practices but I did what I did and paid the price. Now I'm training my sons to try and emulate what you younger and more conscientious guys are up to.

Palms are shit sticks to work on. My pet hate was Canary Islands Date, I still have the 2" thorn that got cut out of my elbow joint in a bottle on the shelf, and a scar. Not to mention the sap will eat your saw.
Cockroaches, you forgot to mention cockroaches...and the compost at the top.
Coconuts at least you get a reward at the end, love me some fresh coconut water.

Poor training cory. Didn't have his safety glasses on, so he got chips in his eyes at 0:57, his hinge/stump is uglier than the stuff I leave, and he ran in the falling direction when the tree went over. Poor show all around...

Poor training cory. Didn't have his safety glasses on, so he got chips in his eyes at 0:57, his hinge/stump is uglier than the stuff I leave, and he ran in the falling direction when the tree went over. Poor show all around...

Yeah but those teeth though! l The sound of hard wood being bitten off....Like!

Not Jed, Stephen...think again, just a little bit harder :D. If you have to, reread Gary's post.

I bet you'll see my point.

Back