Throw line skills, tips, tricks, techniques

All true. However, ease and speed are the two most common reasons given for doing so and seems to be the focus of most climbers I have watched.

For me it has always been more about deploying tangle free. The ease, and yes to some degree the speed are side benefits, but not the focus.

Again, with longer lines, tangles are more of a problem to rectify...and thus more time consuming. That speed thing again? :D

Last edited:
Probably "depends". There's something to be said for a nicely coiled rope. Hard to fault someone for it if they don't mind spending the time.

Coiling is for lack of a container to me. Coiling for storage, so as to uncoil for use is make-work to me.

Part might be length... My daily-driver is 250'. Overkill, until its not. I'm going to get a 120' or so, sometime. Used to be my go-to length.

Climate, too.

A backpacker coil is useful when you have to hike in/ out without a pack, like rock climbing descents. A mountaineering coil is useful, too, for mountaineering.

Different strokes.

Seems like a total waste of time.????
Nah. It's life support IMO it needs a little more tlc than a rigging line that gets so unceremoniously stuffed into a bag and harshly tossed into the back of the truck amongst the saws and gas.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm more of a bag kinda guy. But tubs do have a certain appeal during mud season or warm days in the snow. I'm sure I'll see the light before the end.

I have at least three five gallon buckets with a throw line in each of them. I keep them nested and they take up very little space but it's quick and easy to grab one when another one gets stuck. I have a small fishing tackle bag that fits inside the top 5 gallon bucket and inside that bag I keep extra throw balls and one or two brand new zing it throw line.I've learned to keep an empty water bottle in between each bucket so they're not so hard to take apart.

I used to use buckets that were the one or two gallon sizes with spacers between lines. Two instances of kicked or knocked over buckets lost the sale for me. Crews will be dilligent about friggin' up a good plan no matter the contrary training.
Once the bucket is knocked over, tanged mess, redo. Just like a cube not folded. I have better success with cubes and crews. Cant be the Edelrid though. They twisted that bugger all up. Nice until twisted wrong. Not to say they cany bugger a cube. They do. Just not as often.
Just my experience.

I let someone borrow my Cube. now it likes to fold up on it's own. He must have been rough with it because it was a bit hard to open. He only had it one day too.

My saws are in one compartment, behind wood from all things sharp.

Gas, oil, petroleum/ vehicle fluids in one corner. Crates, bins, or rope bags for all gear like ropes, saddles, connectors and other gadgets, climbing rope on a seperate side of the truck from the rigging ropes, with climbing gear bins, between.

Shelf across the top of the canopy for rakes, signs, pole tools, etc.

Wish I had a taller, shorter truck, my canopy being about 6" taller than the cab, or less.

Hey guys, first post over here, figured I'd jump right in.

I use a cube for my main throw line but not wanting to spend the $$ on a second cube for my 2nd setup I went and found a $8 collapsible bucket and 3x 50¢ plastic (non disposable) kitchen plates from walmart. One plate in the bottom of the bucket for rigidity then flake in my spare hank of line (not usually needed but nice to have) then another plate then my main 2nd line then another plate on top of that to hold in all safely pressed together then I use the rest of the bucket for varying gear.
Ten bucks and it pulls double duty carrying a small ditty bag of randon gadgets and my helmet!

Welcome! Sounds like a good idea. Never really thought about a collapsible bucket, but there's a pretty good selection from amazon. I might have to setup something similar. Thanks for the idea! :^)

@Tree09
Bucket with all the crap: both lines, 2 weights, helmet, sack with some extra hitch cords and random not-often-used hardware. I did sew my own handles on the bucket but you could carry it by the drawstring if you don't sew.
20201116_192350.jpg

This is the top most plate, just there to hold the main line in place during transit. There's a slit cut in it to slide the line through so the working end of the line isnt lost.
20201116_192414.jpg

Ready to use. Below this is another plate, then my spare backup hank of line, then the final plate at the bottom for stability, probably don't even need that one tbh but the plates are literally 50¢ so why not.
20201116_192426.jpg

This particular one came from the thrift store when I first thought of the idea but my wife just got another, same dimensions, from Walmart.com (the $8 price reference) that I put together into the same setup for a coworker.
They make this kind and ones that collapse in a more forced manner that get even flatter when "folded" but I like multifunction gear so I never collapse mine, just stuck my helmet in right off the bat when I made it and never tried flattening it.

Back