Throw line skills, tips, tricks, techniques

Thanks, for the heads up that came from Lawrence Shultz. I will be able to thank the right person.

All of you that do video and share it amaze me. I tried to get set up to do that and Bonner put in a bunch of time helping me get the right cameras and gear. It's just too much added time and effort for me.

My hats of to Lawrence and all of you, better men/women than me.

(Those that like to experiment may like to know that top end kite fliers use spectra line as do some specialized fishing situations. Ebay search spectra/dyneema.)

Be careful with the kite string, I cut into my finger pretty bad throwing it once, that was the last time I used it. Its pretty strong though, super thin and has no memory, but I find it cuts into bark too much.

I never really considered storing the climbline in a pile. I'll have to give it try, and see how it works in a 5G bucket. I was disappointed that the harness wouldn't fit in the bucket with the rope, but that might change enough to allow room. Probably not, but I'll try it. My truck line is pretty stiff though. It doesn't pile very nicely; at this point anyway.

Rigging lines I use CMI rope bags with two handles. Put the handles over my wrists and do a sort of hand under hand and flake the rope into the bag.

I still coil all my ropes. Gives me an opportunity to inspect the whole thing and it’s pretty fast.

Funny how sometimes co-workers get a little huffy when I ask them to please not coil my climbing lines for me. I’m a little particular about my ropes.

I don't like any of my personal equipment touched. I don't even really like it when the boss uses my ground axe. I made a powertape for him from parts so he wouldn't use my regular tapes. Even markers... He's left handed and writes like a 2yr old, so he mangles the tips. I keep a marker just for him to use. I'm still stuck with it eventually cause he's wasteful, and discards them before I consider them done, so I have to use shitty markers for awhile until I consider them finished :^D

I coil my ropes as well, butterfly coil for the braided lines and obviously clockwise for my 3 strand. I can butterfly coil my climb line in about 2 minutes, it's borderline effortless, and it always pays out fine because they are folded.

I used to always coil ropes before tree work. Once I started doing tree work and learned how quick and simple flaking was and how consistently it played out with no tangles I seldom coil anymore. For rock climbing I will coil because it's simpler to carry to and from the climbing site but for tree work it's always flaked.

We flake our throw bag rescue lines for the dive team... As well as the tether lines for the divers.

Yea, throwbags for paddling are always stuffed. I got some nice line from a TreeStuff bag of ends, but don't paddle anymore. Would have made a nice personal line to stow on the pfd. Thin, but with a really nubby finish. I still have it. I'll save it til I can't do without it. It's almost to nice to cut, or use for nonsense.

I just flake 150- 200 ft hanks into 5 gallon buckets. Black and yellow tubs for larger hanks. Costco usually has two sizes for a decent pice. Thet stack well.
Ill coil under 120 hanks, short climb ropes.
Tubs and buckets keep rodents away from the lines. My storage shed aint tihht enought to keep them out. The barn cat helps and she leaves me presents to remind me we have little critters that chew and nest in line.
Like the chest roller idea. I normally just pull over my shoulder. Fair lead point on a tree works well too.

Same here on coiling, Stephen. Under 120 ft I also coil/wrap and hang inside the trailer to use as needed. And I use milk crates and rope bags for up to 150 ft of rope. I've got a very stiff heavy duty static rope I use for pulling trees that's in a big gray tub, probably a 10-gallon tub.

I still coil all my ropes. Gives me an opportunity to inspect the whole thing and it’s pretty fast.

Funny how sometimes co-workers get a little huffy when I ask them to please not coil my climbing lines for me. I’m a little particular about my ropes.

This... faster does not make all things better.

Just because one flakes instead of coils does not mean that one is doing it only for speed. It's just easier, and the line deploys free from snaggles. It also does not mean that you are not inspecting the rope as you flake it.

That's part of the job, every time.

I will admit that I basically do not use short ropes...and as has been said, coiling 150 to over 250 feet is a bigger bother than much shorter lines present.

Last edited:
Just because one flakes instead of coils does not mean that one is doing it only for speed... also does not mean that you are not inspecting the rope as you flake it...

All true. However, ease and speed are the two most common reasons given for doing so and seems to be the focus of most climbers I have watched.

I have a few of these I use too. Compliments of Mr. Gerrys design. You can find those old fly reels at a pawn shop pretty cheap.

Yup.

I doubt that chalk line reel set you back to much at Depot

Back