The RIP Thread...

Freedom of the press is the most misused and abused rights of this country .They can create all kind of sensationalisms knowing full well it's a pack of lies .Then if the cheese gets binding publish a tiny little retraction and all is forgiven .Chit by then the damage is already done .:what:

RIP Bailey :(

I had to put our old Llama friend down last night. Gentle animal. Lilly could walk in between his legs and play with him from the time she could walk. He would often come stick his head in the kitchen window to see where his kids were. Protected goats and kids from predators and spankings. Was fun to watch him let the baby goats play king of the hill on him when he was lying down out back. Used to crack me up. He will be sorely missed and many a tear was shed yesterday from momma and the kids.

See you on the journey again old friend:cry:

Attachments

• IMG_5144ed.jpg
    IMG_5144ed.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3
Bummer! RIP Bailey. Would you recommend Llama or Alpaca if you were recommending?

We use them for herd watching. Get Alpaca if you are going to market the fur.
Thanks for the sentiments ya'll. I will pass them onto the kids and Kat. He was a cool dude. Suckers are smart and never forget anything. We had to take his friend to a different pasture while I put him down. Marvin (Llama) would have held that against me for the rest of his life. Probably tear me up if I went into a pasture with him after witnessing me taking out his buddy.

Not these two Jay. I have limited experience with Llamas other wise. They have more of a "I could GAS" attitude the ones we have/had. Marvin comes across more like a stoner :lol:

We are hoping Marvin settles in with the herd. Bailey was more the dominant herd leader. Marvin was more the tag a long companion. We have been thinning the herd of pygmies and are adding more milk goats and probably going to breed some boers in there as meat. I am worried he won't bond with some of the animals and step up. Giving it a couple weeks and see. Might have to explore some options with the guy we got him from.

Breeding milk goats with boars!

I'll have to visit you again, just to see how that turns out:lol:

My apprentice has a swedish girlfriend. Boars are almost considered pests in Sweden, so he has just ordered one from some of her family.

We hope it'll get here before our company "summer is here, let us go sleep in a tree top" day comes along.

Richard has wild plans about hanging a grill in the tree and grilling boar steaks up there.

I'll bring the salad.

Boer Goat = Meat Goat :D
220px-Amarugia_Golddigger.JPG

Oh, I thought you were going to raise wild boars.
Some people do that here.

It is a Boer goat, Stephen.
Named for South African Boers.
Trying to get me all confused, are you?:lol:

Buried another uncle yesterday .Uncle Chuck passed at 86 after a long bout of Parkinsons .My dads sisters husband .

He's the guy that had over 800 acres of tall timber in central Ohio .Gone but not forgotten .Myself ,4 grandsons and one granddaugher were the pallbearers .

I did notice on the farm evidently the cutters must have been back in the main timber area because the access road had been graded off .I'll get some pics when I go to family reunion in July or August .

They've been sparingly and selectively cutting timber from about 600 acres of that 800 for the last 200 years .If they keep up at that pace they can continue forever .

It's pretty much inevitable when people reach that age they will pass .Death is just a fact of life .You hate to see them go but so it does and will for all of us come the appointed time .

The timber mainly white oak . Cherry on occasion or sugar maple depending on what they are looking for at the time .If prices are surpressed it doesn't get cut .

The sizes are basically about the same as I have in my little patch of woods .Maybe 3 feet on the butt and a hundred or so with 60-65 to the first limb .Jay being a maker of fine furniture would be in second heaven with this stuff .

I just had a thought .I didn't really find out but with the EAB thing they might have snatched the standing dead ash trees while they were still fit for lumber .

I never really paid much attention when I trompted those hills but ash makes up a large number of the hardwoods in this state .There has to be some at least in those hills I would certainly think and if there is it's a sure fire bet it's dead .

Back