The RIP Thread...

It hasn't been a good month that's for sure.

That's too bad. This was in the article...

Allen said his father staffed the lookout after his junior and senior years in high school (1958 and 1959). The Bull was so remote, he said, that his father singlehandedly attacked a lightning-caused fire.

“There is a fire scar still visible along the trail where he was initial attack with an axe, Pulaski, shovel, and crosscut saw. It was pretty good-sized, but he was able to singlehandedly line it and contain the lightning fire which ran a few hundred yards and stopped at the ridge.

Can you imagine?
frig, frig, frig! Out in the middle of nowhere, no chance of backup, and a good chance things are gonna get crazy.

Mostly, these days, overwatch for fire starts is by humans flying small fixed wing aircraft...though there are still a minuscule set of fire towers still in use across the PNW. Not nearly enough of them, and not close to long enough each year to cover what now comprises "fire season". It doesn't even come close to being as effective as a widespread net of fire towers manned 24/7....but it is less expensive, I suppose.

Now comes the rub...I would be remiss in failing to note that this "early warning system" of fire lookouts, while accomplishing their assigned task, surely facilitated the quicker suppression of most wildfire here in the western US, for over 100 years. And we do now understand, that was not a good thing for long term forest management, and reduction of large scale cataclysmic forest fires.

It's a fookin' complicated subject, sure as hell.

Last edited:
Bob McConnell was quite active in our chapter. A very pleasant fellow.
As recently as a few years ago he was still playing his bagpipes to open the local Shade Tree Symposium conferences.
It's always a bit sad seeing the old timers passing on :(
R.I.P. Bob

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Penn-Del ISA Chapter Mourns the Loss of Bob McConnell
mail

Image to the left: Bob McConnell and the late Hyland Johns dedicating a bicentennial tree in 1976.
Image to the right: Bob McConnell playing the harmonica at Fran Ward’s memorial tree planting in October 2021.

Our industry lost one of the great ones on Tuesday, August 24th. Bob McConnell accomplished a lot in his 94 years.
Professionally, he was a Charter Member of the Penn-Del Chapter of the ISA, served as chapter president in 1970, was president of the ISA in 1981, was a trustee for the ISA Memorial Research Trust (which later became the Tree Fund), and served as Director for Philadelphia’s Fairmount Park. Bob was a colleague and mentor over the years, encouraging many young arborists. Many longtime attendees of the Shade Tree Symposium will remember Bob playing the bagpipes during the opening procession to start the annual conference. The Penn-Del Board of Directors will coordinate a tree planting in Bob’s memory for the Chapter’s Memorial Grove in Fairmount Park.

I heard a quote from Mr. Powell regarding that...said "I just didn't have the fire in my gut to pursue it". I think that takes a principled human being, to turn one's back on the real possibly of reaching that level of power.

I likely would have voted for the man too, Gary.

Back