The Official Work Pictures Thread

This is beginning to read like a Trump tweet :D.

No, the boat didn't sink (I whittled a stick to plug the jetting water, pre sinking). No, I didn't get fired, just reprimanded for carrying a firearm when I was not authorized to do so (17 years old and a summer season bio-tech with the state of Georgia, many a long decade ago now). And furthermore, afterwards congratulated by my boss for both keeping the snake from biting one of the big dog executives of the GA state Game and Fish, while also scaring him enough to cause a bail from the johnboat (moccasin between his feet, followed shortly by my bullet). Man, he did a dance before forsaking my company for the lily pads :lol:. My boss particularly liked seeing the dance from the following johnboat. It seems he didn't particularly care for upper management oversight :D.

Oh my...this is one from the wayback machine :D. Great find.

I remembered it, only I thought it was a shotgun, since obviously only a damned fool would try to shoot a snake with a handgun:P

Grappling with a dead ash

Running a bit behind this week. Wednesday was in Bonner Springs, a nearby city, but we were working out in the country. We pruned 2 sycamores (I did lower deadwood and light crown raising on one, other was climbed). Removed 2 redbuds and a walnut limb over a barn outbuilding. Then we craned out a dead ash out front. A bit tight over some bushes and fence and power lines overhead, but we threaded the needle, lassoing the butts with the winch line and taking the leaders right into the chipper.
P1360069.jpg P1360091.jpg P1360089.jpg

Upon asking the neighbor (a Brit) if I could pull in the neighbor's driveway to chip a pile of sycamore limbs, he asked if we fell trees. Well sure! He wanted to keep the wood for firewood, just wanted us to drop the Siberian elm -- just not on his house, as he would be apt to do. We had to climb it to skinny it up over a spruce and a back limb over the house roof line, set a pull line. Then dropped it, pulling it over with the chipper winch. He was happy, and we made a few hundred more on the day.

Then was a full property trim a couple miles away, also in the country. Roofline and back deck clearance on 2 silver maples, cottonwood crown raising out front, and 2 elm power line clearance and heading cuts. Chipper truck was full up at the end of the day, had to do a bit of direct chipping into the woods on the way out, then off to dump at the nearby concert amphitheater. Hmmm, 6 loads there now, hopefully they won't cut us off!

Thursday was a wet, wet one -- working in the rain all morning. Chipping a fallen oak trunk, then trimming a locust over power lines and light crown raising on 2 pin oaks. Then a mulberry roofline clearance and elm limbs over a basketball/tennis court.

80ft-ish 16" dia dead ash. Back and side lean towards a pool and house. All back weight with branches. 2 maasdams pulled as I back cut. No BC. Punky wood for sure!

20180817_121005.jpg

20180824_120104.jpg

20180824_122024.jpg

Peter, do you redirect the pull ropes to the maasdams near the cutting area, ever?

I've thought of presetting a pull-line for a top, and redirecting it up to me in the tree.

Made more logs and chips.

Unfortunately, and fortunately, my tandem axle trailer brakes were locking up this morning when pulling out, so I grabbed another trailer.
IMG_20180822_182527799.jpg IMG_20180824_163248676.jpg IMG_20180824_165622318.jpg IMG_20180822_130528064_HDR.jpg IMG_20180824_175945612.jpg

Yes.
As it happened, my first flat bed trailer came with a red frame. I painted red side boards, and the wood box on my original pick up. Stuck with the color scheme.

I sometimes mini-tow the high-sided one by for a 5 yard chip box when I can't get a truck in. The mini tips it 45* for unloading.

Yes.
As it happened, my first flat bed trailer came with a red frame. I painted red side boards, and the wood box on my original pick up. Stuck with the color scheme.

I sometimes mini-tow the high-sided one by for a 5 yard chip box when I can't get a truck in. The mini tips it 45* for unloading.

Nice set up. 8)

Peter, do you redirect the pull ropes to the maasdams near the cutting area, ever?

I've thought of presetting a pull-line for a top, and redirecting it up to me in the tree.

I sure do! This job I redirected off two trees to a safer spot for two people working the maasdams.

I never redirected up a tree with the maasdam, but I have with a pull rope so I could pull over a top myself. :(

Nice trailer!

but I have with a pull rope so I could pull over a top myself.

Wow...you guys keep twisting my mind. I had never thought of ME pulling the top of the tree I was in.

On a solo job that could be a good insurance policy for throwing a top. Solo work and topping is not ideal but certainly does happen.

I had an 8 ft Leland cypress top come back on me once...hurry up job, storm coming, wind, weight...my hand push to the lay was not enough. It ended up across the spar so I nibbled it into pieces and threw it down...a bit dicey at the time...and embarrassing. No one saw it except me. There was a landscape crew on site that I could have hollered for but did not have to. A pull rope in the top redirected to a ground anchor and back to me could have saved the day.

You could set the line in the top from the ground, run it thru the redirect and only have to carry up one end of the rope.

If one needed, for the right sized top,
one could anchor the ground end of the pull rope,
haul up the other end while climbing or after, without dropping stuff on the rope,
redirect the rope up high on the top, and back down (sorta like a base-tie would look) to the climber,
then cut and pull.

The friction of the redirect would fight you (sling and biner for less friction) and the net pull would be strongly downward (midway between the two legs of rope) when pulled down by the climber.

For more force, if one were to install the pull-rope higher off the ground with a redirection point, like an SRT base tie, the pull rope would run more horizontally, resulting is a more-horizontal/ effective vector force with the pull rope.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll draw a diagram and take a pic.

All armchair-planning here (well couch with feet on the coffee table, with morning coffee, enjoying my view), regarding pulling one's own top. Generally, wedging or pushing is all one should need. If you have bad side-weight or hinging characteristics, the speed of a pull rope might help.

Around here, with a lot of conifers sometimes tight together, a climber might be able to set a pull/ rigging rope in an adjacent tree, possibly at equal level or higher, an pull a top toward the rigging tree to catch the top, self-lowering it.

I haven't had it long enough to know.

I think I've tied a long-hole bowline, a la PCTree for DdRT-ing out of the tree.

What is the interference?

I don't get to take many photos at work, too busy.

Here are a couple of a backstrap on a large ash, that wasn't strong enough to hold the leaning tree. IMG_20180814_120316.jpg IMG_20180815_150816.jpg

The forwarders have started bringing logs out P1060308.JPG

A good sign that there is an apprentice loose in the forest: Two saws stuck in the same branch:lol: P1060309.JPG

Back