The Official Work Pictures Thread

Ha. Yes... the homeowner yelled out the window we cover them up... always keep 2 giant blue tarps in the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here's today's fun with the stump.

Got down about 6 inches below grade with saw cuts and about a dozen filings... then blasted with AM.
249ef4cc7c67c6411689bfa77ec564e6.jpg
e0f49b5c5438e828e9c8c2df93522b44.jpg
ef402de74da37cdef83e55f9da4c329c.jpg
49262b380b631fe4c89395ab49fd9491.jpg

No chain grinder.... I've used them... just nah.. loud. I've been hand filing forever... my buddy just gifted me a jig... maybe it was a hint.?

Yeah, the client had the yard armored up and plants moved.before I got there..it was brand new artificial turf...layer over compacted base rocks and dg's... it was an amazing job the landscape company did...i wonder what that price was...She was super cool. I wish all my clients were as nice.

Anyway, I haven't heard back from them since texting them pictures and sending an invoice... maybe I soured the milk by charging them...

A cheap grinder for stump chains can be a cheap and cost saving investment. Seems sensible to me. $30 home Depot/ harbor freight grinders will take shit chains back close enough, and save files, wrists, and man-hours, imo. Files get expensive compared to the years I have had this grinder (given to me, new in box, from a customer).

Good for dirty cutting. Mine is bolted to a 2x4, held in any vice (on chipper), and also screws down to any wood surface (I always carry a drill/ driver).

I hand file everything else, (having started cutting work in the back country), and chains just last and last.

If it gets broken in transit, it's$30.

Have you tried PowerSharp to go with the AM grinder?

Yikes. 2 guys 4 hours...$1k
There's worse ways to make money.

The grinder is portable?

And no I can't seem to sharpen the am teeth for nothing....what is powersharp? I'll check the link.

25$/set of teeth...

I meant the Oregon Powersharp chains to accompany all the root cuts you are doing, as a result of using the AM.

Obviously a POS compared to a $800 Silvey grinder (which is portable, but way heavier), but compared to filing by hand...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Buffalo-Tools-ECSS-Electric-Chainsaw-Sharpener-ECSS/202560682

I run all Stihl chain, which is harder steel, and harder files. From what I read here, when you rock your chain, it screws up the steel, 'work-hardened' IIRC. Work-hardened steel or chrome, whichever, is hard to file. A grinder will go through it.

I didn't set up my grinder in the last year or year and a half, since I moved from my old house. Did a lot of root pruning. I bought files for my MS261 at the Husky dealer. Not hard enough steel. Wouldn't do it. Grinder didn't care. For real cutting, they need more fine-tuning with a file, but most groundies wouldn't know the difference.

Dirty cut after dirty cut... a couple chains in rotation on the grinder while the other guy is cutting.

With all the street/ sidewalk trees you guys are up against, I think getting away from hand-filing would be good, especially with the wear-and-tear of the AM on wrists.

A silvey is just bolted to the stand. It could as easily be bolted to a 2x4/4x4, and clamped into a vice on the chipper or screwed to a tall enough stump.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sil...=2mmzWf_vNIKEjwODpKywDQ#imgrc=agq0yuOb_I_A1M:

Man, I missed out on a lot... Deva... that was a serious run o pics brotha! Crazy tree.

Stig: Thanks for the pics. Good to see you in here.

Willie: Might have to clean the air-filter, eh? Wow. Pretty dead pig.

Sean: Good Cedar kill.

Scott: Nice one... man... all I been doin is small stuff as of late... not much worth takin pics of really. Actually, Aron got this random Fir-top goin over on vid for some reason...

https://youtu.be/9yM98_i5yo8

Oh... and then my buddy Tim (in pic) took me up on some liquid-courage beer boasting I was doing about some real heavy Cedar leaners he had over his garage. I went up and hung two ropes, and severed the most severe of the limb locks that I could. I probably banged for 20 minutes into a double-stack before we ripped it off with his truck from a re-direct pull. I had two ropes in there, but I was pretty scared... SUPER heavy limb weight. Double-stump fall... Bout a 40" stump on the fatty.

unnamed-1459.jpg unnamed-1458.jpg

Well said, with the Velcro thing Sean... yeah, the two trees were definitely fighting each other at least a little bit. Actually, after the single wedge operation, something must have popped, cause only one double stack started to lift stuff pretty readily. I (honest to God) was just super winded (I'm 46) and people were watching, I was embarrassed, and I was pretty sure my brand-new 1/2" Dynasorb would hold if Tim ripped er off. I was right, thank God.

I just got home from Tim's again... it just took me (I wish I were joking, but I'm not) an hour and 15 minutes just to limb out the two trees, and to process the limbs into manageable lengths to carry out of the woods. I've never seen such stringy-long skinny, hooked-up, little limbs in my entire life... Velcro's the word.

IMG_2022.jpg
Eating lunch and watching the excavator tear stuff up. We have to remove everything on the fence line so the parks committee can install a walking path. It just doesn't make sense to me but they're the ones with the money.

Back