The Official Work Pictures Thread

Most likely explanation for engine short life is the non skilled grinding folk are running that machine at too steep and angle causing oil deprivation. That's a nutty boss to let expensive machinery be run by knucklheads. Oh well its only money, and time, which is money. It's just money spent with no return. You are probably making him so much dough on the removals and clearing he can afford the dumb stuff:/:

Sean I was "taught" that any saw over 15 lbs had to have its own line. It's better theory than practice. I'll only give a saw its own rope if I'm in a very difficult position.

You're right Cory. It's that and it's also a bad design by Vermeer. When in tow the motor is at 25 degrees at least. All of your oil is at one end of the pan when starting. Knuckle heads are most of the issue. What pisses me off is the way I look at work. I think the better and faster I can do things ( least amount of property and equipment damage included ) the more he can afford to pay me. I think this way but the knuckle heads think otherwise. I don't know. Year end review meeting is Monday. We will see how that goes. Bad day, grumpy, and a good buzz going. Sorry if I'm rambling.

When in tow the motor is at 25 degrees at least. All of your oil is at one end of the pan when starting.

Ive got a 752, first thing I do after starting is level the engine more, last thing I do right before shut down is tilt it up to tow position.

I think the better and faster I can do things ( least amount of property and equipment damage included ) the more he can afford to pay me.

That might make just a little too much sense to be workable....

Bad day, grumpy, and a good buzz going.

Prime conditions for some of the best buzzes...

Sean I was "taught" that any saw over 15 lbs had to have its own line. It's better theory than practice. I'll only give a saw its own rope if I'm in a very difficult position.

Kinda like one handing. You shouldn't do it, but it has it's place.

What I always tell the apprentices is, I don't mind you one handing a saw if you have a good reason for it.
Otherwise I won't tolerate it.
Which, of course, means I have to watch out that I don't do it myself.
That is one thing about running apprentices, it makes you conscious about how you do things yourself.
Do something not by the book, and you can be sure to hear: " I thought we weren't supposed to............?"

RC 3001

14894.jpg

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1922&item=14894

Ah... Thank you man!!

More Cottonpig today, if anyone on here can bear to look at it...

unnamed-500.jpg unnamed-499.jpg unnamed-497.jpg unnamed-496.jpg unnamed-495.jpg

Sorry! Meant to include that the log tape (with 1.5" trim) indicates that the stump is 20" diameter. That tree was 115' all day long.

Attachments

• unnamed-494.jpg
    unnamed-494.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 74
  • unnamed-492.jpg
    unnamed-492.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 75
Scoped out the VA consult gig today. Phaeolus schweinitzii decayed a tree. It blew over...90 degrees to the west coast director's residence...oh, and it was 5' or so, oh, and a shell. Blew apart below soil level, leaving all the roots in the ground, starting at about 1' below grade.

The email/ phone contact I initially got was "large tree fell in the wind". A little different.
IMG_20151231_134214401[1].jpg

Another tree with P. schweinitzii, a disease of older fir trees. Major site stressors. A lot of filling/ buried root crowns in this park-like setting.

Bald eagle atop the tree, looking over the lake.
I was watching a documentary quoting someone back in the days of DDT saying that seeing a bald eagle is a once in a lifetime event, if you're that lucky. I am spoiled. Two were outside my window view from my desk yesterday.
IMG_20151231_135536626_HDR[1].jpg

I have to put in a bid, which I should get, for a 8 year property manager customer. Small as redwoods go. Hasn't cracked the building floor, yet. Lifting sidewalks and parking lot. No go, when you have a 55+ park, where some people use walkers. In time it will wreck the office and parking lot.

I figure I will split wood in half between 2-3' diameter, and quarter 3-6' rounds at the but, taking it down near soil level. These people will take all that wood. Redwood isn't good firewood, but it should burn. Better than alder for BTUs. Maybe Jerry or someone can say something about redwood firewood.

IMG_20151218_094803265_HDR[1].jpg

A perk of a small chipper. At 7'7" wide, I had lots of room to fit it in the 7'10" wide door. Had to push the chute flat. The feed tray cleared by 1-2", so I didnt' need to open it.

Got some flooded plugs to change and get running again. I found out that the last time we used the chipper, I left the job. Nobody told me that it was difficult to start and warm up (carbon fouled plugs, I came to find). Add sitting 2-3 weeks, and cold weather with a carburetor. I got it started the first time the other day, but didn't get it warmed up enough before engaging the clutch and stalled it. PITA. Maybe a new carb is in order. Mechanical wear from being old. I've had it rebuilt. Mechanic suggested that it might be worn.
IMG_20151231_183116605_HDR[1].jpg

Damm Jed what did you do to your hand?

I took the bark off it two days ago trying to pull up a stupid lever to open a chain-link fence. I keep re-opening it up. I would wear gloves, but I'm worried it'll get infected.

Sean: All Redwoods are not created equal, man. Down Jerry's way, in the woods, where they have a better early-wood to late-wood ratio, I dare say they might make decent firewood, but not up here brother. See: they're all introduced up here, and so, usually have no competitors, and with all our rain, they just absolutely pig out. Wait till you see the rings in that pig. The firewood is just fluff. When it is fully dried, I'd bet it's not much heavier than Balsa wood. If you are basing your BTU index of of some chart, I'd wager that the Redwoods that they tested were from a dark, NorCal forest. I can't see the introduced trees that we have, having more btu's than Alder, but who knows?

I would clean it up real good, put some neosporin on it and put a good dressing on it, try as best as you can to keep the dressing clean and dry. Changing as needed.

Having said that, I almost never do what I just said. But with my new medical training, thats what I have to tell people!

I believe you're right, Jed.

The tree was planted in or after the 70's, when the park was built.

It has a pretty full canopy all the way around, squeezing out a spruce.

I certainly don't want it for firewood, but a bunch of retired folks will. When I knock down trees in this community, I always leave wood. It always gets taken. I just need to make it portable.

I'll bet the growth rings are 3/4-1" in places.

It is Justin. (reassuring) I'm always scared that my descent into Redneckery will at some point become irrevocable. :drink:

Jed, clean that cut and cover it when you're working...gloves over top.
Trick is to find a dressing that doesn't come off with wet or sweat...'Elastoplast' brand work pretty good.

No pictures here, been out of work for a few weeks, no-one wants noise and dirt during Christmas/New Year holidays...now just to get two accounts to PAY ME!!! A month overdue!

Back