The Official Work Pictures Thread

Willie, OSHA guy wanted the 461 tied into the tree and/or crane? Or he wanted it on a saw lanyard to the saddle?

Any saw over fifteen pounds needs it's own tie in separate from the climber. You'll see the last few pictures there's a rope tied to the tree and slack. You may be able to trace that line to the saw.

They can always find something, he chose to not be an ass to a crew that was being efficiently safe.

Not always, we had a surprice visit last spring while the whole crew was logging hardwwods.

Got a call asking for a GPS position so they could find us.
Didn't bother us, we pride ourselves on running a safe, competent crew.

All we got was a handshake and a compliment for doing a fine job.

Way I see it, those guys are there for a reason.
With the new Metro they are building in Copenhagen, mostly underground, they have their hands full. Lots and lots of cheap Eastern European labour, being worked hard and unsafe.
If they didn't have the threat of OSHA you wouldn't be able to see the Metro for grave markers once they're done building it.

Last osha visit I was involved with the entire site got shut down immediately. He was very positive about the tree work aspect, it was the way the main contractor had set the site up in relation to overhead power lines the caused the issue.

We don't actually get random site visits any more, their budget has been cut so much all they do now is investigate accidents and prosecute where possible. Unfortunately this means responsibility for implementing safe working practises has been passed on to the client, which means on construction sites or commercial clients you have to deal with some idiot h&s manager who has never seen a chainsaw or a arborist in their life, and what we do blows their mind. One guy actually stood and looked at the tree with a rope up it and just repeated "I can't believe you're actually going to climb up that rope" for about 10 minutes. Quite frankly I'd rather deal with osha, at least they got some training on Arb work, and I had the direct phone number of the top bod for Arb at osha in my phone, so if the inspector didn't know what they were talking about I could just go over their head.

If you're cutting large sections, and the saw gets trapped, it would shock load your climbing system.

Having the saw on a separate system has been best practise here for around 20 years, although I don't always do it I will detach the saw completely if I'm cutting big chunks, and reattach it for repositioning.

Ok, thanks, have you ever trapped a big saw? I did my 288 once in a step cut of a large oak limb, bent the bar then freed itself. Gave my hip a bit of a wrench but basically ok.
Just wondered the circumstances under which a saw would stay trapped.

Saws can get trapped in the back cut when you knock big lumps off with felling cuts. It may be unlikely but once in a career may be once too many.

I used to take off my bigger saws and tie them into the tree when taking out large horizontals, the ones where you know you should go out and piece it off, I found them more likely to trap a saw. Then I fell out of the habit, don't know why, I just seemed to forget about it.
This has reminded me.

Truly massive those mtns are. Forgive me if Ive asked you before, but do you go play in those mtns much?

Looks like this is the year Cory. The wifey and I have been broke since buying our first house, so I always choose to cash in all my PTO pay (personal time off) from Davey at the end of the year, and just keep my nose to the 48hr grindstone. However, this year I will have accrued too much PTO to cash-in/roll-over. Basically, I'm in a use it or lose it spot now, and the wife is elated. I've got a new friend who's an avid hiker... we'll be up there way more this year for sure. I remember one summer, it was 90 degrees in Issaquah on June 30th. We drove 40 minutes to Snoqualmie pass, and there was over seven feet of snow-pack... ROARING rivers down the mountains, man.

Willie: The very fact that OSHA was there and you're not broke right now, speaks volumes.

Mick: I believe (on the huge horizontal wood) that if your top cut is always in back of (toward the trunk) your undercut, it's impossible to snag the bar. The bar tends to get snagged when guys cut through their hinge chogging down the verticle stuff. If your back cut is higher than your face cut, and you cut all the way through your hinge on your far corner... that's the snagger.

Really? Why such complexity? I always hang the saw to the saddle.

In this case ms660
Wear and tear on the body and the saw snatch scenario are the 2 things he's cited. We've all hung a 660 off ourselves but the rule has been in place a very long time.

The saw snatch scenario is easily prevented by including something with a relatively pow breaking strength in your saw lanyards.
I have a cut through Iron ring in mine that'll straighten out and dump the saw at around 80 pds.

The triangle or coos bay is good for those, I always bash the largest possible lumps off.

I have been putting a kerf on the underside of the Coos Bay on big horizontals, either matching the other cuts, or trunkward, to prevent it tearing back toward my lanyard.

I was using the triangle/ Golden Triangle (I've heard it called) also, for big horizontals. This is one cut where you have to be certain that your cuts are all in the same plane, or risk saw snatching, I Think.

I often snap my saw off to a limb or spar when making larger cuts. If the saw is snatched I don't want that shock to come thru my saddle to me..it could easily throw me off balance and cause a fall...or wrench a knee when the spur held and the knee/leg snapped over. If a saw gets grabbed by a limb or chunk there is already a lot of quick WTF's going thru my head. As I sort out the WTF's in quick time (less than a second?) I don't need a limb with saw stuck in it snatching me off the tree in the midst of dealing with something that has gone wrong.

I figure the tree can hold the saw better than I can. If working in one area it helps save energy, too. And since I set the time line for the job...not a production climber here...I don't begrudge me the bit of extra time required to clip and unclip the saw. Didn't realize there was an OSHA angle to it, too, though.

Thanks for the info, Willie.

Re. Huge horizontal limbs.
I have found the best way is what I learnt here.
Cut the sides as much as you dare.
Undercut kerf width.
Then line up and cut directly above the undercut.
Like everything in this game, it's species dependent. On a cedar it'll work a treat, others, like stringy pine, maybe not so good.

If you make your backcut slightly under the notch your saw will never hang up.

I learned that here, from someone...

Nice job Willie

I have had my saw caught a few times when starting out. Mainly through rushing & making either bad cuts or a poor choice of cuts

Good saw info.

Willlie why use the grcs if you are going to crane it?

Back