The Official Work Pictures Thread

When I look at Willard's pics and all the others from the frozen north I always think how hard it must be to make a living up there, here in Western Europe you lose very few days to the weather.
What do you do in those periods? You can only change blades and sharpen saws so often.

Go crazy. Sweep garage floor a lot.

When I look at Willard's pics and all the others from the frozen north I always think how hard it must be to make a living up there, here in Western Europe you lose very few days to the weather.
What do you do in those periods? You can only change blades and sharpen saws so often.
I work approximately 9 months of the year. Those 3 months off I have lots of equipment maintenance to catch up on for the next season, I just built a chainsaw workshop in my backyard where all my arb gear ,work clothes and small equipment spare parts is kept. When I finish straightening out the inside I'll post some pics for you guys.

It's only 12 ft X 8ft with an attic for over flow storage ,but I built it with 2 full work benches and fully equipped with everything I need, I do all my welding ,grinding etc outside on a cement deck , even got a portable bed in case the wife throws me out of the house for the night.
It's fully portable so if I ever move I can skid it onto a flat deck trailer and it comes with me. I keep my dump trailer/ chipper, stump grinder unit in my 2 bay car garage 10 ft away.
It gets cold up north here for about 2 months straight but the most snow we get is 2 feet deep which stays right till spring. One thing about working in cold weather doing arb work you can dress for the conditions and work very comfortably.
When I was a tree faller years ago -40C was still workable because I was in the shelter of a thick spruce forest and I was always moving keeping nice and warm. The sun shining on the dark spruce foliage seemed to help keep me warm too, because even at -40C snow was melting off the lower limbs when the sun was shining on it.
Now -40C in an urban environment with no shelter of open spaces with stop and go work is a different story.

I suppose as long as the bills get paid, maybe we should start a new thread "show us your workshop"
That'll get the brooms out!

I suppose as long as the bills get paid, maybe we should start a new thread "show us your workshop"
That'll get the brooms out!
:)Yes that sounds like a good thread title.
I'm also busy at the moment getting my chainsaw speedcutting and carving competition ready for next month.
My one sponsor who supplied my squared timbers has gone out of business so that means I have to chainsaw mill my own timbers this year from 3 over size 16 foot long spruce logs I kept from last year. Pics of that will be posted.
This competition I organize is my "advertising budget" for each year, lots of fun and helps break up the winter.

Attachments

• image0-003.jpg
    image0-003.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 52
  • NMTF chainsaw events 010.jpg
    NMTF chainsaw events 010.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 52
  • SDC11665-1.JPG
    SDC11665-1.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 52
  • SDC11122.jpg
    SDC11122.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 51
It's a lapsed pollard, although very little decay or other issues I felt a light tip reduction couldn't hurt, plus it was starting to retrench and there was a fair bit of dead out on the tips.

That looks like a ton of climbing! Nice job. Here are some from today. Decent size Pin Oak we removed. Down and cleaned up in one day, it wasn't to bad and the weather was pretty nice.
IMG_3194.jpg
IMG_3204.jpg
IMG_3206.jpg
IMG_3207.jpg
IMG_3208.jpg

That's a definite BIG one. How's about that 4th picture where the chunk tore down to your lanyard.

Why did it tear? No face cut?

Why did it stop the tear at the lanyard...did it tug your lanyard as it tore?

Just curious, haven't had that happen to me...yet and want to understand it better.

Good job on taking down a big one.

That's a definite BIG one. How's about that 4th picture where the chunk tore down to your lanyard.

Why did it tear? No face cut?

Why did it stop the tear at the lanyard...did it tug your lanyard as it tore?

Just curious, haven't had that happen to me...yet and want to understand it better.

Good job on taking down a big one.

I had a small undercut right about my lanyard, I had a smaller white oak below me and a few cedar trees and I sometimes use the "rip cut" to keep the pieces in close to the trunk. I cut most of the way through, put my saw on my saddle and push it off. I feel it keeps the pieces in a little closer into the trunk. The small undercut will prevent from ripping all the way down on me. It very well could have tugged me but not even enough for me to notice.

ery9ygyz.jpg

5erazumy.jpg

The beaver tree is first up
For tomorrow. We took out some snags today. This one had a 90guy in it that you can sort of see. Yes I'm an awesome photographer. I rigged the guy and pull line for this one and the g-dog sliced it up. No expiremental notches on this crew.

Nice looking work everyone.

I had a small undercut right about my lanyard, I had a smaller white oak below me and a few cedar trees and I sometimes use the "rip cut" to keep the pieces in close to the trunk. I cut most of the way through, put my saw on my saddle and push it off. I feel it keeps the pieces in a little closer into the trunk. The small undercut will prevent from ripping all the way down on me. It very well could have tugged me but not even enough for me to notice.

Good explanation...now I understand why it stopped at your lanyard. Haven't been exposed to that technique before...thanks.

Back