The Official Work Pictures Thread

SRT 1 TIP did about 1/2 the tree. Second acscent and TIP did 1/4 or so and the I got too hot. The tree does not have a great center tie in. Looks better than it is for that. Tossing a line in each section with 3 ascents was going to be more efficient. Especially since you need to really remove material to make a hole to toss material down to the deck. Bottom up.

Yeah, if the hinge wood was any worse, I might have lost it. Old unused shed…new house, I would have pieced it down or something.

Traction was poor and I didn’t have my winch. When I hit the end of the rope, the tires slipped…luckily it was already over center.

I don’t think a winch would have worked. The degrees of pull required to get it over center were more than the hinge would bend before breaking, and it would have flopped on the fence. Might not be able to see it. He didn’t care anyway, but still. I kicked it around, considered what I had and the consequences and went for it…lucky no more rot than there was. I wanted the tree to already have momentum in the right direction when the hinge broke.

I could have tethered it to the other tree to combat side lean, but said tree is unsafe to stand under, much less anchor. 😆

Yeah, if the hinge wood was any worse, I might have lost it. Old unused shed…new house, I would have pieced it down or something.

Traction was poor and I didn’t have my winch. When I hit the end of the rope, the tires slipped…luckily it was already over center.

I don’t think a winch would have worked. The degrees of pull required to get it over center were more than the hinge would bend before breaking, and it would have flopped on the fence. Might not be able to see it. He didn’t care anyway, but still. I kicked it around, considered what I had and the consequences and went for it…lucky no more rot than there was. I wanted the tree to already have momentum in the right direction when the hinge broke.

I could have tethered it to the other tree to combat side lean, but said tree is unsafe to stand under, much less anchor. 😆
These parts of your post seem to not be possible at the same time, @davidwyby. If it would break the hinge to winch it to over center leading to failure to hit the intended lay, then it's not possible that the first pull to over center, then the slack before the second pull, didn't result in the hinge failing in the meantime...no?

Last edited:
These parts of your post seem to not be possible at the same time, @davidwyby. If it would break the hinge to winch it to over center leading to failure to hit the intended lay, then it's not possible that the first pull to over center, then the slack before the second pull, didn't result in the hinge failing in the meantime...no?
I set tension, mostly as safety for me making the back cut, and installed wedges. Then I slacked the rope and pulled. Once I started pulling, I never had slack again…the yank slowed the truck and caused the tires to break loose, but the momentum of the tree and truck carried the tree towards the intended lay. Actually if, you watch closely, as the tree stoood up, the hinge broke, and the tree rolled and leaned a little towards the camera. If I had winched it upright and broken the hinge, with no momentum, it would have flopped 90° to the hinge, away from the green tree.

It definitely jerked it over, but that's also a more risky method because it can cause the tree or rigging to fail, pulling off limbs or breaking rigging (which could be fatal with a shackle or something flying around). I'm a huge fan of knowing exactly the force I'm working with, and everything being completely controlled with a slow steady pull. The trick for a constantly pulling line to get something to really fall hard to the lay is to tie a log in the middle so it's lifted as tension is applied. It adds a constant pulling force as the tree goes over, with no input needed after its set up. Works really well and can allow you to pull trees like that with come alongs or other slower pulling devices that might be eaßsier to use. The force is applied directly in line with the rope too. Not an every tree kinda thing but on the right ones it's a good trick to have in the bag, and is also good for getting trees to power through light contact that you think may be a problem. For example if the upper branches are slightly tangled and intersecting with another tree, often they'll go a bit then get hung up if you didn't have the log to keep pulling as it goes over.

Or you can pull the top out of the tree. Dead trees require caution and heightened sense of awareness. Dead trees do not play nice yanking the shit out of it this time worked but might not next time.

As an aside, I used my Avant winch to pull some pretty decent back-leaners from over a house last week, radio coms with the winch operator, pulley for MA, all the whistles and bells.
All went well, sorry no pics, too hot busy etc.

I said to the crew, I don’t think you’re human if you don’t get a squirrelly stomach before you start cutting one of those. The visualisation of the consequences of cocking it up or a sudden mechanical failure are real, and the relief when the last one hits the ground!

I set tension, mostly as safety for me making the back cut, and installed wedges. Then I slacked the rope and pulled. Once I started pulling, I never had slack again…the yank slowed the truck and caused the tires to break loose, but the momentum of the tree and truck carried the tree towards the intended lay. Actually if, you watch closely, as the tree stoood up, the hinge broke, and the tree rolled and leaned a little towards the camera. If I had winched it upright and broken the hinge, with no momentum, it would have flopped 90° to the hinge, away from the green tree.
I see...I misunderstood the sequence, from I was seeing. I have to say, I do agree with Stephen, Kyle, Rajan, and Mick. It was not as smooth as I would have tried for, myself.

But you got it where you wanted, and nothing got busted, so that's a win in anyone's books :).

Blown up ancient silver, part of a job. Deer eating dinner off in the fields, didn't care about a saw at all, granted it was mainly a battery one tho :lol: The other tree is younger but a horrible pruning cut from at least a decade ago has led to tons of rot on one side, so much so that i think i can see oyster mushrooms out on a limb over lines and structure. The entire branch collar is hollow, thin, and open on one whole side, and the limb was later topped and has suckered out so well there's a ton of weight with almost nothing holding it up, and that's over half the trunk so i can't just take the whole limb. I recommended removal but he wants to try to save it and have regular inspections and pruning, so I'm gonna cut it wayyyyy back and static cable it so it can't hit, and hope it suckers out and starts reinforcing the pipe wall. Otherwise it's a removal in a decade, so we'll see, it does make beautiful shade that would be missed. But basically a removal in stages and delayed as long as possible.

20240729_195037.jpg 20240729_195046.jpg 20240729_195029.jpg

Yup, I'm back finally, and hopefully I'll be able to finish up some of my projects to help me along as i go now that I'll be able to buy parts lol. Doing a tree job every couple weeks or so will greatly help out, and I've got a few of them lined up.

Back