The Official Work Pictures Thread

The crane thing isn’t working out as I’m a better climber than operator gotta get the climbing done… IMG_0289.jpeg IMG_0267.jpeg IMG_0261.jpeg IMG_0262.jpeg IMG_0233.jpeg
found a little niche contract climbing. … used to be contract climbers had to do bad ass shit.. nowadays I just gotta produce normal shit.
been staying close to home haven’t had to leave the island in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
just 2 pics I found of me climbing
the second pic I post was a dead ash, I rode every pick off the tree except the last log, there was 4" diameter limbs being broken off by squirrels and the top was already gone, absolutely ZERO rigging points nearby and no lift access at all, only option was to ride each piece off
1697938680842.png 1697938687834.png

Split Ash tree that I tied together with some Safety Blue a couple years ago which held but removal was unavoidable . Homeowner surprised me with a "no clean up" when I got there which was awesome considering I was pretty much dead on my feet by the end of the job. Felling cuts on the log were out of whack which made for a harder pull. Went around the front tire of my rusty mini van where rubber meets road for an anchor point (2 to 1) in the neighbors driveway which I patted myself on the back as a good idea on the fly.
Screenshot 2023-10-22 064617.png

Removed 2 larger poplar limbs for a friend and neighbor. One was directly over the spruce that he was trying to make room for.

Looked at 4 willows he wants out that are overhanging his sheds. They will be gone by next month.

Attachments

• IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7170.jpeg
    IMG_7170.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7171.jpeg
    IMG_7171.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
We are preparing some 50 acres of Sitka spruce for clearcutting by harvester.

There are a few hardwoods around the edges, that are too big for the harvesters, so we cut them by hand.

Just to show you what the patron saint of borecutters can do with a 20" bar, because he is too old and lazy to hike the mile and a half back to the truck for a bigger saw.

This Ash had a lot of lean, so I figured it would just pop the little Maple branch off.
Nope!
I could have dropped the Maple with it, but what a mess to buck. 20231024_141931.jpg 20231024_141940.jpg 20231025_085110.jpg
So I left it overnight and brought a polesaw. It came down over night, landed precisely on both tops like a codominant is supposed to and split to kindling!

I really hate it when that happens!!!

Last edited:
We are preparing some 50 acres of Sitka spruce for clearcutting by harvester.

There are a few hardwoods around the edges, that are too big for the harvesters, so we cut them by hand.

Just to show you what the patron saint of borecutters can do with a 20" bar, because he is too old and lazy to hike the mile and a half back to the truck for a bigger saw.

This Ash had a lot of lean, so I figured it would just pop the little Maple branch off.
Nope!
I could have dropped the Maple with it, but what a mess to buck.View attachment 133036View attachment 133037View attachment 133038
So I left it overnight and brought a polesaw. It came down over night, landed precisely on both tops like a codominant is supposed to and split to kindling!

I really hate it when that happens!!!

Lotta tree for a 20 inch bar...nicely done. Too bad about the breakage.

Another one that was borderline too big for the 20" bar.
Took over 2 tanks of gas to fell and buck.

Funny thing was, it was not the felling part, but the first buck that almost went beyond the 20" capacity.

Now the harvester can handle the rest.

2023-10-25 11.56.59.jpg 2023-10-25 11.56.43.jpg

Know how re cutting with a short bar is surely good to have but a slightly longer bar can save alot of time and effort. I used a 20" bar back in the day but now a 24" slays all.

That's kind of how I see it. 24" is a nice size to get a lot of work done, but isn't obnoxious to maneuver. I'd be interested in hearing stig explain the philosophy of a 20" bar, especially doing those low cut beeches.

Back