The Official Work Pictures Thread

Gary, et al, speaking of yoga, I had this vid on just cuz, and the lady busted an innocuous looking yet totally impossible move for me. I get it, that can happen alot in yoga, but just curious what you think of the move at 12:17 and 12:45. I can't possibly do it unless I have the leg hooked under something heavy

I would be more likely to work shirtless if I looked like that, but in all that dust and scratchy branch environment I cannot think of anything less comfortable.
Back in the day logging in Oregon, 2 times I tried working in shorts.....baaaaad idea.:|:

It's against company policy to wear shorts, and you won't be allowed on a construction site wearing them. Back when the company was bigger, and we had more employees, we'd get numpties trying to circumvent the rules, and partially getting away with it, since most of them didn't work on real construction sites. They'd be pussyfooting through the woods trying not to get shredded by briars, and being generally worthless.

I like being armored, even if the armor's only a Tshirt. I don't wear shorts ever. I don't find them particularly comfortable.

Gary, et al, speaking of yoga, I had this vid on just cuz, and the lady busted an innocuous looking yet totally impossible move for me. I get it, that can happen alot in yoga, but just curious what you think of the move at 12:17 and 12:45. I can't possibly do it unless I have the leg hooked under something heavy

I watched it and gave it a try and I'll shoot you a video of how it seemed to go for me. Let me know if I am doing something different from her. Video in a bit.

Wow, the beauty of The House. 8) :rockhard: Danks for the full vid response!

Well, um, I tried the rope sit up. I couldn't get it done without using some momentum, same with knee tuck sit up.

:whine: Guess I'll work at it some.

I presume the reason is either I'm weak as a newborn kitten, or body is just built different compared to those that can do it. As you may have noticed above, I have chicken legs/get away sticks.

I doubt you are weak as a kitten...and with training you could develop that ability. I didn't even know un-anchored situps were a thing for a long time. When I learned, someone always held your feet....or they went under a couch.

My Bando teacher introduced us to how un-developed we were by having us try things like unanchored situps and no one could do them. He was really a guide more than a teacher...he taught us principles and basics and then we developed ourselves from there. Of course, he tested us periodically...and when we thought we had actually gotten better (and we had) he pointed out the next step in the progression. And suddenly we looked weak again.

The kind of things he encouraged led me to be able to do this -- about 10 years ago:

Bando panther tree training L sit.JPG

That right there is an awesome post 🔥🔥🔥⚡

Perhaps I could figure it out but is there a simple way to develop unanchored sit up ability USUA?

Btw I, among others I'm sure, missed your bando/yoga/physical fitness input during the hiatus. May it never happen again!:rockhard:

And that pic makes me wonder, do you do any rock climbing or bouldering? You'd kill it!

You could start working with the rope as an assist like I did in the video...arms up and curl assist as you sit up. Gradually keep the arms lower as you pull to assist the situp and finally keep the fists and rope on the floor...like the video. You could probably do it in a few months. Just slowly progress. The goal is the unanchored situp...the purpose is to gain the strength to do the situp.

Re: rock climbing...I did that as a 16-year-old, long before tree work and I rock climbed ever since, a few times a year, nothing real intensive. My introduction to rock climbing was a week-long course taught by Army Rangers on Mt. Yonah in N. Georgia. It was one week of a 4-week survival course (called Operation Upstream)that was patterned after Outward Bound. The other weeks were basic camping, survival skills, first aid, orienteering, etc. for the first week. The second week was mountain training. Third week was water survival... self-rescue (drownproofing), lifesaving (rescuing others), group survival. We simulated a group survival situation where a plane went down and we had about 20 people to keep alive until help arrived. It was a COLD Lake Conasauge in N. GA and we had good swimmers, bad swimmers and NO swimmers. We had to do tired swimmer carries, rotate out keeping the drowners afloat and deal with hypothermia at the same time. We probably spent 3 hours in the water. Skinny me like to froze to death. I am a good swimmer and already was a lifeguard before the course...swimming was no problem. Dealing with the cold was. It was like SEAL cold water training. We could give up and get in a support boat (they monitored us during the swim) but that was called "crash and burn". It got you a pretty bad reputation. We learned better how our minds worked with the suffering. Quite an experience for 16-year-old city boys.

The fourth week was a 3-day solo and graduation -- we were scattered out through the Cohutta National Forest, probably a 1/4 mile apart and had to set up a camp and either eat or fast for 3 days. To eat we had to trap/fish, etc. I was able to catch a few trout and they were awesomely good. I learned that 3 days with no human interaction is a LONG time. I was glad to get back around folks...even the ones I did not like. And the last part of the 4th week was graduation...competitions on the obstacle course, a 10 mile race through the mountains, etc. We exercised everyday at daybreak, a short session and then broke for chow. We ate C-rations the whole month. After bfast we did a longer exercise session and then classes, practical exercises -- e.g., learning to build a stretcher and then they took us about a mile away and declared one of us a casualty. We had to build a stretcher on site...usually a ridge or down in a creek bottom...and carry the victim back to camp...after we treated the injury. Each team was about 10 boys. That's enough...pretty big derail here.

Wow that sounds like a truly amazing course and experience. Type 2 fun for sure!

Thx for the fitness info. Good (and surprising) to know you didn't have USUA initially.

Beautiful picture. And it's a 200T.. wonderful. Thread is back on track. I've got some short videos of what I did last week. I'll throw it up later but not as cool as that shot.

That’s the Reg Coates pic. He used one like that years ago as his avatar. I’ve never had that kind of view but have paid homage with like photos over the years.

Well if you aint lyin that is some good news. :rockhard: You gonna love it. Everyone that does it loves it. Max does it, what better endorsement is there?

I went in today, it was rainy, raw, windy, did 4:15 @50*. Now 50* water isn't as sexy as 34* but it's plenty cold enough to get the job done.

And with a farm tub parked in a shady spot and having similar climate to CT afaik, you can get at least 6 mos of cold plunges without using ice or refrigeration.

Protos and speedos, yes we'll need pics.:thumbup:

@cory
I already mow wearing my protos so the neighbors think I’m crazy and leave me alone. You’ve inspired me to get an old farm tub and a speedo and do the cold baths. Wearing my protos of course. I’ll bet traffic will even decrease on my road. Maybe some will move away😆
Are the voices in your head telling you to do these things? Lol
I have a feeling your neighbors are scared of you. “Hey, honey! The neighbor is at it again!” “I don’t know dear should we call somebody?” “I’m not doing that sweetie he is wearing nuthuggers and a hard hat on a lawnmower clearly mental. You want him burning our house down in the middle of the night?” :lol:

hahaha...what a great visual you just painted!! I considered googling images of your description but I am skeered of what I might find. I did remember I had this saved...an avatar from "Sizzler" who was a cool fellow on TreeBuzz back in the day.

These guys have a bit of a jump on you, Rich...but adding the mower to your mix might take you over the top.

1682860113049.jpeg

Back