The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nice vid link. How is a swanson with no snipe different than a humboldt??

To be a Swanson the opening of the face must be equal to the depth of the face. Humboldts most often the depth of the undercut will be greater than the opening.

To be a Swanson the opening of the face must be equal to the depth of the face. Humboldts most often the depth of the undercut will be greater than the opening.

Good answer, thanks. But they both do the same thing, make the butt fall off the stump before the rest of the tree hits the ground, so what gives?

I agree with that...easy enough ride with the vertical zip. The close violence of rigging big wood that has to be caught (not run) I don't like at all. I don't do it enough to be comfortable with it.

This tree was interesting for me. I have not rigged big wood in awhile. Accessing the work area above was straightforward enough..no worries there. But as I was setting up the first few limbs it was niggling through my brain..."now what am I doing up here?"

After a few minutes of that all was good and I enjoyed the tree...took a few minutes to get my "tree legs" again.

I got a couple removal jobs for the subdivision I live in. Anything that can be fell from the ground and pushed over with an excavator is done by another contractor. I get anything that has to be climbed. This tree could have been fell but would have resulted in damage to the neighbors trees. I rigged it with a block and had my beautiful wife winch it over with the atv winch. Everything went really well.

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

Good answer, thanks. But they both do the same thing, make the butt fall off the stump before the rest of the tree hits the ground, so what gives?

The Swanson will help the butt slide off and straight down to the ground, to lay flat so to speak. It can be good for having a butt lay against a stump to secure it and have less movement. A humboldt will do that somewhat, but less so. That's my take on it anyways. We all know there's almost endless variables which will go into deciding what sort of face to use and when. That vid does a real good job on explaining things IMO.

Sorry guys. Carry on with the awesome pics!8)

Squisher, I use to use that cut when I was spanning a draw with a tree and didn't want to break it. It didn't always work but it helped. It sets the butt down and takes some of the weight off the falling force so it doesn't all hit the ground at the same time.

Nasty dead little sassafras that bit me today.
View attachment 82139View attachment 82140
First pic was from a maple I was removing pretty close to it. Problem was there was no tie in high enough to reduce the hieght of the sassy. Plan B was to set a pull rope and break the top out, reducing the hieght enough to have no worries. While setting the pull rope it decided to break off at the ground and was drawn to the one major thing it could've really f-ed up. All other targets were really minimal.
View attachment 82141
After inspecting the damage I was relieved to find out the globe was plastic. The post and actual head were unharmed. They were built to last. According to the homeowner they were made in 1918 and weee originally at our state capital building. The globe had been replaced many times since and she even remembered where they came from. The pic of the globe was for reference from a nieghbors so we get the right replacement

Shat sure does happen...good on the plastic and that she knew where to get it.

One of our tethers broke today on the vertical zip line...slowed the big chunk down anyway. Bent the bottom of a metal panel a bit but appears to be just cosmetic.

Attachments

• Nations oak  (1)resized.jpg
    Nations oak (1)resized.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Nations spar final  (1)resized.jpg
    Nations spar final (1)resized.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Nations spar final  (3)resized.jpg
    Nations spar final (3)resized.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Nations spar final  (4)resized.jpg
    Nations spar final (4)resized.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Nations spar final  (6)resized.jpg
    Nations spar final (6)resized.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Nations spar final  (8)resized.jpg
    Nations spar final (8)resized.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Nations spar final  (9)resized.jpg
    Nations spar final (9)resized.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Nations spar final  (13)resized.jpg
    Nations spar final (13)resized.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 45
It seems slightly bigger than 1/2"...but I don't know the history of it. I have had it for years but don't know where it came from. Possibly something from my father's house.

Treebilly, I can't see your pics, says something about invalid blah,blah,blah

Glad nothing was damaged Panth, but who's going to clean up that mess?

Ain't it ugly??? I have a buddy with a BIG bobcat and grapple. He already came and got two big loads...20' trailer. He plans to take it; burns a lot of firewood during the winter...thank goodness.:D

I guess it wasn't that ugly, it just looked like a lot of work. But obviously not for you. Sounds like a good deal.

Back