The Official Work Pictures Thread

The elderly lady we worked for was very nice and offered coffee every time she saw a chance. Also said she'd recommend us to all her lady friends as we were "cute" boys. Her vision might be going bad but I'll take it as a compliment.

:lol:

Properly done Sean, It's just a super narrow (Maybe 15 to 20 degrees) Humboldt with a SUPER steep (maybe 70 to 80 degrees) secondary "drop-off," cut sawn about halfway up the diagonal. The idea is for the narrow slope to completely bust all yer holding wood and then for the steep slope to let the butt drop more readily.

Doesn't Jerry call that a humboldt with a snipe, in FGTW?

Looking good out there, Jedi.

Doesn't Jerry call that a humboldt with a snipe, in FGTW?

Yeah, but his looks different... not as steep. For us, the Swanson is supposed to break off the holding-wood right away and then shoot the butt straight down. I'll try to get a shot of a proper one that actually works. I've done em before, where they've worked an absolute charm.

Jed, I used to use a truck exactly like that when I worked at Davey twenty years ago. Some days we even used the chip cap so we could chip into it then load the logs on the back. Our office only sent out 2 man crews and my foreman didn't have a license so we had to make do with one truck. I hauled many loads of logs in that old beast. Lousy brakes so it was scary with a full load.

Been there. You have to treat every streetlight like a stop sign.

Sometimes the front tires would bounce off the ground! Lordy!

Well, that was from being overloaded, not bad brakes, but...

Done the bad brake thing for sure!

Jed, I used to use a truck exactly like that when I worked at Davey twenty years ago. Some days we even used the chip cap so we could chip into it then load the logs on the back. Our office only sent out 2 man crews and my foreman didn't have a license so we had to make do with one truck. I hauled many loads of logs in that old beast. Lousy brakes so it was scary with a full load.

Still mostly 2man shows Brian... Sounds like not much has changed... the "not having a license thing,"... we've only JUST started cleaning up our act in that department. Ten years ago (do you remember how they make everybody stretch in the morning?) my foreman would be so stinkin drunk in the morning, he wouldn't be able to stand on one foot for, "Thigh Stretch."

These guys (managers) pissed me off pretty good today. I'll probably just drink it off tonight, but it wouldn't surprise me if I manned up and quit a month or two down the road. They strike me as a pretty good company to quit. I dunno... problems everywhere ya go, eh?

Shit wish you guys weren't so far away, just fired my "left foot man". Figured out he is doing meth, his car broke down a month ago and he has been bumming rides from us , doesn't bring any food or water to work, always wants advances.... Done with that shit. We had a new guy starting monday morning, called at 8-30 (we roll at 7) and said he could meet us on the job by 10 ??? Really on your first friggin' day???

What I wouldn't give for an employee without his head up his ass!

Thankfully, there are machines.

Jed, have you thought of starting your own legal business on the side? Do you work for D with mandatory overtime every week? You get to charge more for making a mess in some's yard, and walking away when you have GL insurance, plus so many good business expenses.

Properly done Sean, It's just a super narrow (Maybe 15 to 20 degrees) Humboldt with a SUPER steep (maybe 70 to 80 degrees) secondary "drop-off," cut sawn about halfway up the diagonal. The idea is for the narrow slope to completely bust all yer holding wood and then for the steep slope to let the butt drop more readily.

Not sure about that Jed. The Swanson is the standard cut among BC fallers....and it's basically a Humboldt, but wider. No snipe. I have no need for it myself, but it's a good way to trap the log behind the stump so I've been told.

Names for felling cuts run the gamut...what a name means one place means another elsewhere, or means nothing at all...even so little a distance as west or east side of the Cascades right here in northern Oregon, less than 100 miles apart.

In this case I always guessed swanson was named after a faller who publicized its characteristics, historically. Maybe Stig will know.

If you watch a little further in that vid on the Swanson part. You'll see they talk about executing it as Jed has described. A modified Swanson. a humboldt is made and then a steep snipe is cut off of it to make the opening equal to the depth.

Back