The Official Work Pictures Thread

Thanks Leon. Wonder what the airfare is between Hong Kong and Nippon these days, can't be too bad? Your HK pics always intrigue me too, Asia is still kind of a mystery.

Ditto on the Japan pics... always enjoy those from you Jay... Takes me to a serene place in my head.

Nice limb walk there Nick... Those long sweeping ones can get fun to do...

It was more of a shimmy then a walk! I am near horizontal to my tie in/rigging point and that leader was more vertical than anything. I removed the entire leader as it was all dead. The arbor underneath was a real hassle.

Worked with my uncle today on one of his jobs. He climbed, I ran the ropes. 120' tulip poplar hanging over a pool and beside a house. Everything was lowered down. Lowered some big logs.

We took down the tree on the right. All leaders were lowered whole, nothing in 2 pieces. Some leads were an easy 40'.

The logs we lowered down off of the tree on the left.

Everyone chatting at the end of the job, standing behind those logs, for size comparison.

Tree took 2 hours.

Very cool!! Is that him wearing the sunglasses?

Taking those big leads, were they mid-tied or more butt tied?? Bare crotch or pulley?

Lowering off the adjacent tree, those are HUGE logs! Did they swing and hit the spar tree, it didn't look super close to the target tree in the picture, so I wonder if there was a huge swing? How are u getting rid of the wood?

Got more pics? The climbing on that job should get you good and psyched to do your contract climbing with your new spurs:thumbup:

2 hours?? That's mad fast, damn.

How did u get the lowering line for the logs in place in the adjacent tree?

There aren't any hinges or boxes etc visible on the logs, what kind of cuts did he use on them?

They didn't hit the spar tree really. They swung out to go over the house but we used a tag line with wraps around a tree and another guy on that line to slow the swing. I caught the downward force and he caught the swinging force, in tandem. They did bang the rigging tree pretty hard on the swing back in. He got the line in the neighboring tree with a throw bag from the top of the removal tree. ran through a crotch. The rigging tree is slated for removal in a month roughly. the removal took 2 hours. Watching him snail crawl up into the tree to and get ropes set up took almost an hour. Yes, that's him in the shades.

Answering your question about swing distance, it was a bit extreme. Not crazy and dumb, but close. He rigged off that second tree to direct the swing away from the covered pool. He was concerned with roping the tree off of itself and shaking material loose and spearing through the pool cover. The rigging tree was back some away from the pool.

That is some seriously big wood.
Amazing what you can get away with just using a porty and the right man on the ropes.

Natural crotch, 1/2" line for a good bit of the job, I think 5/8" stable braid on the rest. It was red. I ran it through my homemade porty (100% identical to the actual Port-a-Wrap), and 3/4" sling hitched around the tree. You have to remember, neither of us are nuts. Ive been running ropes over million dollar houses since I was a child, literally. He brought me in specifically from 135 miles away for this tree, and I was paid accordingly. Im not the best climber, and never will be, but I can run ropes with the best of them. My uncle is not nuts either. He's been killing big poplars since he was 19. Like any good climber, he takes each tree one cut at a time and maximizes his potential based on the gear, the tree, and the guy in the crane or on the ropes.

Tucker943,

Thanks for the info. I was curious, mainly because I see the ratings on these ropes and tackle and keep thinking to myself that I'll never reach the working load limit on even my small stuff.

Joel

Natural crotch, 1/2" line for a good bit of the job, I think 5/8" stable braid on the rest. It was red. I ran it through my homemade porty (100% identical to the actual Port-a-Wrap), and 3/4" sling hitched around the tree. You have to remember, neither of us are nuts. Ive been running ropes over million dollar houses since I was a child, literally. He brought me in specifically from 135 miles away for this tree, and I was paid accordingly. Im not the best climber, and never will be, but I can run ropes with the best of them. My uncle is not nuts either. He's been killing big poplars since he was 19. Like any good climber, he takes each tree one cut at a time and maximizes his potential based on the gear, the tree, and the guy in the crane or on the ropes.

I have to say that you and a passed away friend would have gotten along very well. He was old school and a hell of a climber and tookem big.

Back