The Official Work Pictures Thread

Would you guys mind naming your species' common names, sometimes? I don't know many trees outside of the NW. All I can see is Joel's swinging big logs, again.

I hate having life support under me, like max reach on the boom.

Seems like with a healthy tree, you might fly up, set rigging, climb out, then rig big pieces until its trunk wood time, and you can park the truck a bit farther away, giving your rig some breathing room.

If its sketchy, maybe a throw line in the bucket to set a control line on a rigged piece farther out/ higher up than you can fly the boom.
Quercus hemisphaerica (sand laurel oak, laurel oak, Darlington oak, laurel-leaf oak) is a species of oak native to the southeastern and south-central United States, from Texas to Delaware.[2] It is in the red oak section Quercus sect. Lobatae. It is often confused with and closely related to the Quercus laurifolia (swamp laurel oak) in which it differs in several key characteristics.

Quercus hemisphaerica is a medium-sized evergreen to semi-evergreen tree which can grow as tall as 115 feet (35 m) tall with a 5-foot (1.5 m) trunk diameter, although it is more commonly around 60 to 65 feet (18 m-20 m) tall. The leaves are entire, without teeth except one apical awn (rarely with a few teeth near apex), mostly elliptical or narrowly ovate, and 1.2 to 4.7 inches (3 cm to 12 cm) long by 0.4 to 1.6 inches (1 cm to 4 cm) wide. The petiole is very short ranging from 1/25 to 1/5 of an inch(1 mm to 5 mm) long and the leaf base is obtuse to rounded. The acorns are hemispheric in shape and 0.35 to 0.6 inches(9 to 16.5 mm) by 0.35 to 0.6 inches(9 to 16.5 mm). The acorns take 18 months to mature and are 1/4 to 1/3 covered by a saucer to bowl shaped cap. [3]

Here ya go!

Paul lol on your observation! Hard to not use them when they are everywhere and cheap;)

Well there ya go! Thanks Joel.... some pigs.

Awsome shots Tom. That was a huge tree at the bottom from the looks of it. Are those Black Cottonpigs or Rio Grande? Or does it matter. Those drone flicks are gonna be sweet.

Its strange seeing soooo much hardwood going into the chipper. Around here, that would be firewood, for sure. Easy enough to get rid of for free or by selling.

Different heating market and population density.

Great pics!

Same here Sean, I get out of so much clean up because HO want the firewood. Usually 2 or 3 guys waiting around till I'm done.

attachment.php

Man I could use that groundie! Dudes packing some guns, even going open carry..haha

He's the one you want "in front of you" in a bar fight, he could clear out a room quickly..lol

image.jpg
Just couldn't tolerate the discomfort any longer. Said screw it, the wood can come down tomorrow. The wind finally died down once all the brush was of it at least.

Sounds like a safer bet, as well as more comfortable, if you're at that point. Job well done. Did you bucket it or climb it, or some of both?

Bucket was able to do it all. Had to creep forward for one limb as I couldn't get to it with the trunk in the way. I had to time my cuts with the wind.

Yea a couple of the four ish long pieces wanted to tip the machine, pictures do it no justice. But here's a couple more for fun ;)
f013fe517171c9b7bfd5f718f901cc4a.jpg

4af77df7f1a3e77add1ade462e0038af.jpg

Of course it had to be a old fence line only one sharpen though got lucky :cool:
77f08feb1ad12c57380243757d80eb6a.jpg
and this is how we left it. The small one not cut is th e stump grinders problem heavy duty steel mesh and not in my bid ;)
0c6baaa7a18df3a5d358ab18b7122d50.jpg

Do you ever cut a big, flared stump like that say 18-20" high instead of down low, to make the felling simpler? Then flush the stump and you have an extra piece of firewood to deal with but sometimes that can be best imo.

Yes Cory I do. I got into the habit of cutting low when I did a lot of clearing. I got tired of going around picking up firewood size pieces over acres of clear cut. Stumps had to be low to drive around with loaders. If I'm going to have to hit a tight lay I almost always cut up at a more comfortable level. The grain is better for the hinge up higher as well.

Thanks guys.
Moved on to a ROW clearing for the gas company. Went in yesterday afternoon to talk with property owners and set up a game plan. Pretty much everything in the picture will be gone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 55
@ Willie

I can't fathom taking down such an awesome tree. What was it hurting, sitting in the back like that? I guess they wanted a pool or some such shit...

I was really confused, until I squinted to read the logo.

How often to you see a real pro outfit working? Rarely, IME, around here.

I'll bet that the tree didn't care for the development.

Back