The Official Work Pictures Thread

I saw that. That's why I put the (?) after "nail". I didn't know if it was one long piece you cut through, or what. How did your chain make out?

We are removing unwanted species ( inports!) from a rewilding project.
Gave me a chance to let the new apprentice fell a tree more than twice the diameter of his bar length.
Since we are not logging, we just cut in a comfortable height.

IMG_20211203_131523.jpg IMG_20211203_131821.jpg IMG_20211203_132036.jpg IMG_20211203_132140.jpg

MS241 with 14" bar.
On this job we rarely cut anything thicker than 5" and since we are paid by the hour and cover a lot of ground, no reason for a bigger saw.

Yep, Sitka spruce.
It won't resprout.

Thanks Jerry, I'll tell him you said so.

Yep, Sitka spruce.

Not sure what your contract specifics are but have you considered girdling sometimes? You can kill the tree and it serves as a snag which has a lot of wildlife benefits over time. We do that up here occasionally during pre-commercial thinning or riparian restoration projects. It also doesn't load up the ground with excess slash.

We do that a lot, Austin.
For exactly that reason.

For some funny reason it is ok to girdle a tree next to a historical stone fence, so it'll later rot and fall on the fence, whereas felling it so it ends there is illegal. :|:

The reason we felled that one, is there is a mountain bike trail right behind it.
Next to road and trails, we don't girdle or veteranize for safety reasons.

Also in the case of some unwanted species, if you girdle them, they will react to the stress by reproducing.

As in: " Oh shit, I'm gonna die, better set a billion seeds".

If we had girdled this Sitka, I'm pretty sure it would have been full of cones in 2 years, picea are good at that.

The stuff we are doing right now actually takes a lot of thinking about how to go in different situations, and knowledge of species.
Great for the apprentices, since there is no set way to do things.
I tell them that as long as they can give me a reason ( Show they have thought about it) for what they have done, it is done right.

Last edited:
When it comes to felling trees with short bars Euro fallers, across the board, are more adapt than west coast fallers. I have observed this many times.

Part of the reason may lie in the fact that west coast fallers, as a rule, work on steeper ground, and so often can not cut from both sides of the tree. So to remedy that they use longer bars. As a result they are not as adept to using short bars to do the same. Even on better ground.

It is interesting how different schools perform.

Yep.
Nothing that you would call steep ground here.
I pull out the long bar for storm clean up.
Wanna get as much distance to the tree in tension as possible.

Emil, the apprentice, has just started with us.
It is only his second week with a saw.
Fortunately both Richard and I have had lots of time to teach him in those 2 weeks.

Do you sell the logs? Direct to mill or log buyer?
I hope to mill them in my own mill, and build a mill shed.

I've been shopping for a mill, but have recently had some unexpected bills. My mom is getting discharged from a month in the rehab facility, after a week in the hospital, after falling. She needs some things for her house, and will have a few thousand dollar bill once the insurance is settled.
Dump trailer is on hold, too.

Back