The Official Work Pictures Thread

Agreed on that house. Where are you at in France Mick? That house looks kind of Italian to me. I don't know much about architecture, but I try to categorize and date the buildings I see. I'm decent at dating American houses I think, but not so much foreign.

Thats a fine looking loader Mick. Do you have a bucket for as well or just the grapple?

I bet that motor is running 8 hours / day!

What's a 'grab', a grapple bucket?

This is what I call a grab, it’s a silage grab, but for tree work it’s not much cop as the top tines aren’t tempered and bend easily.
You could either weld some rods on either side of the teeth for stiffening, or find a blacksmith to harden them. Maybe a flat plane of metal on the bottom edge of the tines would do it.

I’ve tried strengthening them, but mild steel is like butter, on the bottom you’ll see proper hardened tines.

Its fine, I only use it these days for loose stuff, now I have 2 grapples I won’t misuse this one.

Today was my second day with the young woman I was asked to teach the art of the sawyer by a local arborist.

We're thinning a stand of 120 year old beech, that has been left free from the saw too long.
Not much room to squeeze them down in.
Too difficult for her really, but it turned out she has a natural ability for putting trees were she wants them to go.
So I mostly let her fall them, then I buck them, since she needs to learn how to fell trees, not grade logs.
Already her stumps are looking better and her saw handling has improved.
She is one tired lass at the end of the day.

That last picture was really threading the needle, a couple of feet to either side and she'd have scratched a future veneer log and dropped it's value about 80%.

P1070651.JPG P1070657.JPG P1070660.JPG P1070669.JPG P1070676.JPG P1070678.JPG

Hah! So confident she wasn't even looking as her tree fell! She knew where it was going so she had time to mug for the camera. :lol:

What are your temps up there stig? I thought it was still hot. She's dressed like I am for 40° :^D

I assume it's because they can't leave the stumps high, and can't leave big stumps laying around after they are done. Easier to trim the buttress roots and leave it log length. Buttress roots are trimmed off for 1) easier cutting with a shorter bar and 2) easier skidding/loading of logs.

I was thinking as a residential arborist...fall high...ALAP stump.
For us, absolutely. That's how I've always done it. No way am I fighting trying to cut a notch in the buttress roots while on my knees in the mud. I will stand up where I can escape easier and cut the tree down at waist height. Then flush the stump for the stump grinder.

Yep. I asked that question when I got there. It honestly was just those few twigs but all that sawdust to deal with. All of the rigging I did sent things down in the gap just past the gate. They never did give me an answer. The 500i played Cookie Monster well though.

Still blows my mind that a large, well equipped treeco like yours refuses to even rent a crane much less buy one. Some things just don't make sense.

Back