The Official Random Video Thread!

Poor goat. I wonder how they got him down? I don't know much about goats, but they strike me as kicky. Not sure I'd want to bear hug one, and try to lift it off some lines.

Thanks, it works great. I wondered how it would overcome the slow speed of a large download (I didn't think it would) but it appears to fool the network into keeping the speed up by starting the download in several different places along the video. I could only laugh at such a win.
@Nutball This software is Windows friendly and allows the user to download any audio or video file or even just the audio from a video file using YouTube links. Not sure if that helps.

I don't know much about computer stuff, but that program seems to have a flaw. When downloading a video it checks for streams, and if it finds any it "muxes" them (maybe it means mixing instead of muxing). I don't know how a computer could first of all find and then advantageously take information from data streams going to other computers unless the source website has a slower output speed than my computer's download speed. It just makes no sense especially considering that my internet connection has a limited download speed, and the video downloader already has the ability to boost that download speed by basically opening the video in several windows and starting it at a different time in each window (that's what I assume is basically going on). It has proven to be much slower when "muxing" streams than when just downloading all by itself. I want to know if there is a way of disabling the use of other streams? It is around 5 times faster if it finds no streams.

That program is most likely using yt-dlp as a backend. The video and audio typically get downloaded separately and combined on your computer. Some videos are split up into segments by youtube, and have to downloaded and joined. I don't believe every video is setup this way, and it may or may not vary by format. I don't pay much attention to nuts and bolts of youtube's delivery system.

The tl;dr is I don't think you can avoid the behavior you're getting aside from selecting a different format and seeing if it performs better. Pay attention to what's getting downloaded, and in what form. You may be able to see a pattern, and adjust for it later.

I don't know much about computer stuff, but that program seems to have a flaw. When downloading a video it checks for streams, and if it finds any it "muxes" them (maybe it means mixing instead of muxing). I don't know how a computer could first of all find and then advantageously take information from data streams going to other computers unless the source website has a slower output speed than my computer's download speed. It just makes no sense especially considering that my internet connection has a limited download speed, and the video downloader already has the ability to boost that download speed by basically opening the video in several windows and starting it at a different time in each window (that's what I assume is basically going on). It has proven to be much slower when "muxing" streams than when just downloading all by itself. I want to know if there is a way of disabling the use of other streams? It is around 5 times faster if it finds no streams.
Multiplexing, or muxing, is a way of sending multiple signals or streams of information over a communications link at the same time in the form of a single, complex signal.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on in your case. The program works beautifully for me. Make sure that you have selected to download both audio and video. I suggest looking through the program settings and perhaps there are adjustments that can be made which might remedy your issue. I don't honestly fully understand what you're saying the issue is, but you can also try reinstalling it and selecting a different installing type this next time. Just some thoughts. I know a ton of people who use this to get clips for content. It'll be great if you can figure out your issue.

It works, it's just really fast when not muxing streams. I might be able to chose a format that doesn't have any streams if available.

Back