The Official Random Video Thread!

An excellent FOUR HOUR LONG video likely originally aired by the Discovery Channel about a team of climbers (as well as many other climbing teams, some with conflicting/different goals and perspectives) looking to summit Mt. Everest. I'm about 3/4 of the way in, so I don't know how it ends, but it's a good documentary of what climbing on Everest is like these days; espcially the human traffic jams. I highly recommend this if you find mountaineering interesting or entertaining, if you've ever wondered what a start to finish expedition looks like, or if you're passionate about it like I am.

Fun Everest facts: In the nineteenth century, the mountain was named after George Everest, a former British Surveyor General of India. His name was pronounced Eeeeverest (like weeeeasel) and it somehow morphed into the pronunciation used today. Everest was actually adamantly opposed to having the mountain named after him. The Tibetan name for Everest is Chomolungma, which means “Mother Goddess of the World.” The Nepali name is Sagarmatha, which has various meanings.

Last edited:
I don't have all that (russian-looking) writing on my version of the video, but the audio sounds like russian to me, not that I'm expert at such things

I don't have all that (russian-looking) writing on my version of the video, but the audio sounds like russian to me, not that I'm expert at such things
This language is definitely not Russian. Moreover, it does not even belong to the Slavic languages. It probably belongs to the languages of the Romance group. Maybe Romanian or Moldovan. But this is not entirely accurate. It's not translatable at all(

For the version of you who loves an authentic sea shanty!

This genre of music scintilllates (this is my made up, verb version of the adjective "scintillating") the souls of, and is preferred by, intellectuals around the world. It is enjoyed above all other musical varieties by people as far up the "food chain" as Elon Musk. This personal factoid about the second richest man alive (as of this year) was mentioned at least twice while Elon was live on Joe Rogan's podcast.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I'm better off knowing this.
I would argue that by taking the time to educate yourself, even if it was about something you currently have zero uses for, you have become a better version of yourself; even if the amount of betterment is difficult to detect.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Just trying to offer a different perspective. =-D

@gf beranek Oh good, I thought I was the only one who heard the calls. I won't be participating in the mating season this year. I found my girlfriend years ago and I'm a monogamous frog. I get a lot of a shaming from my fellow male frogs. They tell me I'm missing out on the action and that I'm contributing to the decline of our population. My girlfriend gets shit on by all of the female frogs too, and they insist that she should be laying eggs instead of touring the Amazon rainforest with me on my leaf and stick pontoon boat.

My friends don't understand how I wouldn't want to get laid every time the monsoons roll through, but they don't realize that life is about more than carnal desires. However, it isn't as though she and I don't do the nasty froggy style anymore. It's just that after mating wtih so many different frogs, and with the mother's obtaining more and more rights in family court, I had to claim bankruptcy after being ordered by an amphibian judge to pay massive sums of child support. As the frog philosopher Kermit once said, 'it isn't easy being green." :D

Last edited:
Back