The Official Random Video Thread!

"Catastrophe" ( had 2 years of Russian in high school, can still read cyrillic) nope.
Moron is more like it.

@Nutball AI scares the shit out of me. It's already lying to people or encouraging them to behave in ways which are dangerous or hazardous to their health (albeit very infrequently) under the guise of being omnipotent. I'm glad Elon Musk created TruthGPT to compete against Google's DeepMind and OpenAI's ChatGPT. Did you know that OpenAI was called "Open" because it was originally supposed to be open source/public and free from any efforts to make money? Now it's programming is closed/private and they gain financially from their product every day and yet they retained the dishonest name. I apologize if that was in the video you included. I haven't yet watched all of it.

@Maximalist That black squirrel video was produced with the most perfect music haha.

@lxskllr Looks like fishes of some type to me.

Yeah, I saw that about OpenAI and Musk. Seems like money can buy just about anything, maybe even accusations against orange people, or a lack of prosecution against serial suiciders, not that that is what I believe, but it is definitely within the realm of possibility. But let just keep to random vids.

Anyone think they can rope run faster than this guy?...Not that you'd ever have to unless you're in a competition. Still...respect for anyone who has honed their craft like this. Half the battle is endurance and fighting gravity and device-on-rope friction for so long. Looks like they let you attach throw weights to the tail of the rope, so that really helps jumpstart everything.

I bought my first mechanical ascenders in 1980. They were Gibbs' Ascenders. I bought 3, and made a "frog-type ascending system. Using single line and ascenders to climb rope revolutionized how I entered the big trees in those days. The frog system worked great, but it could be improved upon, I thought.

Backing up a bit. In 1985 a fellow named "Treeman Jenkins" from Atlanta, Ga. show me the "Ropewalker" system, and by the early 1990s I had a fine tuned ropewalking system just for Moi.

Funny, the only real advances in climbing rope since, for the long straight-up hauls, has been Paul Cox's Raptor.

For arborist work, movement through the tree, friction hitches are far more versatile / efficient, I think.

And for that I've always been a fan of the friction hitch.

Jerry,
Where did you meet “Treeman”? Were you in Atlanta ropewalking the oaks in Peter and Patty Jenkins’s backyard? Or was he out climbing west coast tall trees with Tim Kovar back then?

They're fun to catch. We call them sandcrabs here. When the tide goes out, look for bubbles in the wet sand and dig. You'll get a sandcrab. Dunno if they're good for anything, but it's fun digging for them.

Back